Author Topic: Building a Peltier module  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Rachie5272Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Building a Peltier module
« on: March 21, 2017, 04:42:50 pm »
Hello, I want to build a Peltier module from scratch.  I have some ideas I want to test out, and there's no better way than prototyping.

Where would I find the raw N and P semiconductor elements to make this from?  I don't even know what they're called, or how to search for them.  Am I better off salvaging them from a cheap module?

Offline ironmonkey

• Contributor
Re: Building a Peltier module
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:34:23 pm »
AFAIK they are two different metal sheets, with no semiconductor involved (kind of a inverse termocouple)

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:33:14 am »
Theoretically this should work, but every explanation of Peltier junctions I've seen says they use semiconductors.  Does anyone know why?

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:19:10 am »
Lots of materials have some Seebeck coefficient (like a thermocouple) but you need a *high* Seebeck coefficient. Doped bismuth telluride is usually the material of choice.

Offline vealmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:51 am »
Do you have to use Bismuth metal, or can you use stuff from any WWII wreck?

Offline Codebird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:09:40 am »
You don't need bismuth. You need bismuth telluride. Good luck getting hold of that. What exactly is it that you want to test?

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:21:18 am »
You don't need bismuth. You need bismuth telluride. Good luck getting hold of that. What exactly is it that you want to test?

Seems his luck is turning!
Here you go:

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&fsb=y&SearchText=Bismuth+Telluride+pellet

:)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:24:27 am by CM800 »

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 10:25:52 am »
Theoretically this should work, but every explanation of Peltier junctions I've seen says they use semiconductors.  Does anyone know why?

My understanding is that this is done because it allows you to create a thermopile (many thermocouples in series electrically but in parallel thermally), which is much more effective than a single thermocouple. Also, you need both polarities so that you can put them in series electrically without the plates shorting them out. I forget which, but one of the high-quality TEC manufacturers has a good page explaining this. (They also claim to be able to get good efficiency (something higher than 60% IIRC, maybe up to 95%) while everyone else says TECs don't get more than ~5% efficient.)
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline vealmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:53:27 am »
Sorry, I was thinking of Bismark. :palm:

Offline JimRemington

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 10:45:46 pm »
Buy a roll of thermocouple wire and make yourself a thermopile.

Lots of cool examples here: http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/thermoelectric/thermoelectric.htm#rl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 09:45:10 pm »
I can't find any small quantities.  I guess it's not popular enough.

I want to make some irregularly shaped coolers for a niche application.  If I could find pellets, it would be a simple matter to solder them up on a custom PCB.  I don't care about efficiency at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:48:48 pm by Rachie5272 »

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 03:39:25 pm »
Contact some of the Sellers on Alibaba and ask to buy a sample quantity, It's not hard and I doubt it will be too expensive.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 06:41:19 pm »
The efficiency of metallic peltier elements is very limited. The bismuth telluride based ones reach a much higher efficiency - though still not very high. Something like 10% of the carnot efficiency is about as good as it gets. So it depends on the temperatures and what you look at, what efficiency you get. Conversion of heat flow to electricity might have a hard time to reach 5% efficiency as the maximum temperature is rather limited. The COP ( = heat moved divided by electricity used) can reach high numbers at low temperature difference, but will fast get smaller if a significant temperature difference is needed. So in a cooling application it is very important to get the heat away from the hot side.

It takes 2 types of pellets with proper doping (N and P type). The contacts might also need some extra care, to make them solder-able. So the best guess is probably taking apart one of the cheap modules. I am not sure how well the elements will survive soldering.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 03:29:27 am »
You can reverse engineer the connections in a cheap module, then use a glass cutter to cut it into smaller pieces. (You'll probably destroy at least a few modules trying to figure out how to do it.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
Huh... well...

seems I'm gonna be building a Peltier module, the company offered me free samples!

How does one bond the Bismuth onto copper? D:

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 06:48:59 pm »
Woods metal or other low melting point alloys are what is used to bond to copper.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 05:53:45 pm »
Woods metal wouldn't be much use in a Peltier module because it melts at 70 °C.  Having your cooler fall apart when things get hot probably isn't the best idea.

For prototyping, conductive epoxy might be the easiest.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 03:04:08 am »
According to my limited knowledge, these things are usually assembled using solder. The melting point of the solder is what determines the maximum hot-side temperature—any hotter and it would fall apart.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline zenman

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 05:40:48 am »
Are any of you all still interested in this?  I have been working on making both Bismuth Telluride (n-type) and Antimony Telluride (p-type) in my workshop for the last year. I have figured out how to alloy both compounds but I don’t have the measurement tools to figure out their Seebeck coefficients. I am going to attempt to make one of these tools from scratch since the professional ones cost $9000.

Anyway I would LOVE some more brainpower behind this if any of you are interested in helping. I have 100s of unlisted youtube videos of my attempts. I’m slowly organizing them.

I have chunks of both Bi2Te3 and Sb2Te3 that I’ve made. I’m happy to share how I made them or just send some samples.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf