Author Topic: Office Chair Audio Cable or Connector Solution  (Read 570 times)

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
Office Chair Audio Cable or Connector Solution
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:04:04 am »
Hey All,

I like many really enjoy my audio, but due to noise levels running a sub at 2AM is not a great idea when my wife is sleeping, so I decided to give some bass tactile inducers a try, welded up a plate and mounted one to my office chair which I have running off an old amplifier. It works great, but the problem I now have is cable management. Like any office chair I need to be able to move, rotate, etc, and through daily use I can see this cable getting hammered, tangled, etc.

The only idea I can come up with is to use a connector so that if the cable is tripped on it will disconnect in a non destructive manner. Because there is a decent amount of current/voltage I figure a decent connector will be required, i'd use RCA but the friction fit on those isn't always great. Is there a connector like a RC Deans plug, but panel mount female and inline male with a hood and strain re-leaf?

I'd like to avoid a wireless solution simply because of the power requirements of running a 50WRMS amplifier, I am not keen on strapping batteries to my chair.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Office Chair Audio Cable or Connector Solution
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:39 pm »
Batteries and Bluetooth? 50Wrms, so a couple of amps?

I would think that the best way to run a cable would be from the top of the back of the chair up to the ceiling, with either some coil cable or bungee or other soft spring mechanism to take up a bit of slack. 

If you really want a breakaway connector, maybe a jumbo magsafe style arrangement, with clusters of pogo pins sized to however much current you need?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf