Author Topic: Can you route better than an autorouter?  (Read 20475 times)

Offline cyberfishTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can you route better than an autorouter?
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:53:35 pm »
I kept hearing about FreeRouting.net (a free online autorouter) so I decided to give it a try with a current design I have already manually routed, just to compare.

It was very easy. Learned to use the system in about 10 minutes.

Took about 1 minute to route (brushless DC driver, pretty simple 2 layer design - 32-pin microcontroller, a few MOSFETs, MOSFET driver chips, and passive filters).

Then I came to the shocking realization that I think it did a better job than me :o.

Routes were a lot cleaner, only 11 vias vs 18 vias, and very few tracks on bottom layer (good ground plane). If I haven't sent my board to fab already, I would probably use this over my manual routing.

I wouldn't say I'm very experienced, but I have manually routed about 5 moderately complex 2-layer boards (a few high pin count chips).

I didn't look into autorouters much because I wanted to learn manual routing (which is a VERY good idea, like Dave said), and also because the only autorouter I tried (Kicad's builtin) was quite bad (put simply). FreeRouting.net router is very good, though.

I think from now on I will just route the high current/frequency traces manually, and let autorouter do the rest.

So, can you route better than an autorouter?

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
Re: Can you route better than an autorouter?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »
Yes, I like to think so. Can you post pics of PCB you traced and the one the autorouter did?
Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:14 pm »
what sort of service is this ? I must admit I hate "online" stuff, I have a laptop now for a reason so don't tell me about portability and having access where ever I am bla bla

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:17 pm »
Here's a comparison. For the autorouted board, I had to route ground net manually for some reason (probably because I put in a ground polygon before feeding it to the autorouter), but that's mostly just via to ground plane. Otherwise, the router routed the whole board.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:18:41 pm »
what sort of service is this ? I must admit I hate "online" stuff, I have a laptop now for a reason so don't tell me about portability and having access where ever I am bla bla

Basically export your board from your pcb program into something called DSN format, then import it into the autorouter. It's kind of not really online service. It's just a webstart java program. I think you can download it to run on your own computer, too. Either way the routing is done on your CPU. Then export from autorouter, and import into your program.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »
hm so you need a program that outputs DSN formats, not something the simpler pcb programs like expresspcb that I use probably do (I seriously tried to do a schematic with kicad yesterday and got so fed up of it's un-obvious and unnecessary complexities that I gave up, really was it designed by apes ?)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »
I believe Kicad, PCB (from gEDA), and Eagle all can export to DSN. Sounds like a pretty standard format to me.

I thought Kicad is pretty straight forward. At least quite a bit easier than gEDA (though I prefer gEDA's layout program).

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:21 pm »
Basically export your board from your pcb program into something called DSN format, then import it into the autorouter. It's kind of not really online service. It's just a webstart java program. I think you can download it to run on your own computer, too. Either way the routing is done on your CPU. Then export from autorouter, and import into your program.

There doesn't seem to be any provision to download the program, just to run it under Java on your PC.
They mention that the web based version is free - if there's a version for sale, they don't mention it.

Offline slburris

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 03:16:46 am »
I've used freerouting.net for a few designs and it's way better than the Eagle
autorouter. 

My understanding is that it's a gridless push and shove autorouter.  Eagle
routes on a grid, and if you have chips in both metric and imperial units,
Eagle struggles unless you set a really fine routing grid.  Gridless autorouters
don't have any problems with that.

Oddly, their website seems to be broken now.  I'd be very sad if they went down.
I should have saved a copy of their Java app.

Scott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:12:50 am »
Site is back up.

I downloaded the jnlp file just in case, but I think the real file is still downloaded from their server. The jnlp file is just a link.

But if you open it up in a text editor, you can figure out a link to the real file -
http://www.freerouting.net/java/router.jar

And from the command line -
java -jar -Xmx1024m router.jar -webstart
runs the program.

Works for me.

The jnlp file is not needed. Just router.jar and a shell script or batch file that runs the command above.

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 10:16:29 pm »
hm so you need a program that outputs DSN formats, not something the simpler pcb programs like expresspcb that I use probably do (I seriously tried to do a schematic with kicad yesterday and got so fed up of it's un-obvious and unnecessary complexities that I gave up, really was it designed by apes ?)

What in particular where are having problems with? I've used Kicad quite a bit and I can help you if you want me to. If you feel anything can be improved please let them know (I think they have a wish list on launchpad).

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 02:17:51 am »
The day I trust an autorouter to do anything but single layer, side-by-side signal lines... well, let's just say it's not going to happen. I love the algorithms, though, and imagine them being used for traffic control when we're all driving (non-polluting) flying vehicles. ;)
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 04:08:07 am »
You don't have to trust it. You can and should inspect manually after autorouting.

It's not like autorouting result goes directly to fab house.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 07:59:58 am »

What in particular where are having problems with? I've used Kicad quite a bit and I can help you if you want me to. If you feel anything can be improved please let them know (I think they have a wish list on launchpad).

David.

well trying to make my own part and then save it, I mean I made the part but was never able to load it into a library for use, the whole thing is just so unintuitive. ok I should read the manual but flipping hell it just a schematic layout program and not my first, so if I need to read a 100 page manual just to lay out a diagram something is not right

When I get time I'll start translating it to italian, maybe that will help spur development.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:33:38 pm »
well trying to make my own part and then save it, I mean I made the part but was never able to load it into a library for use, the whole thing is just so unintuitive.

"Select working library" (button with 3 amplifiers icon), "save current library to disk" (button with a floppy icon). Exactly how difficult and unintuitive is that?

Are you sure the problem is Kicad and not between desk and the chair?

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 01:56:04 pm »
Necroposting. Sorry...

Is this still valid? What about TopoR?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:24:01 pm by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 08:31:12 pm »
Free routing is simply the best but I find it hard to run with the fact that it's not up to date for Java and always has problems.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 08:59:38 pm »
Free routing is simply the best but I find it hard to run with the fact that it's not up to date for Java and always has problems.

What problems are you having?

There are several github repos, eg. https://github.com/freerouting/freerouting. I did a few tweaks on my own version, although I don't really know Java. It did take some meddling to get it to build cleanly.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
It just refuses to load. I probably need a later version as I'm getting Java errors even though it's the self contained one.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 07:01:11 am »
I get the same for windows 7, 64 bit, exe does nothing, and the .jar throws the error "Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile...." with the file location at the

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 11:49:50 am »
Just in case... you need to download the file RAW not save the HTML page. I.e.: https://github.com/freerouting/freerouting/raw/master/binaries/FreeRouting.jar / .exe

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 08:06:18 pm »
I've tried running Freerouter standalone (launched from DOS prompt), and launched from KiCad if you follow the instructions here http://amichalec.net/2015/10/kicad-upgrade/. Both methods work for me.

Freerouter will not load some DSN files anyway, and just exits, so it can give the impression it didn't load.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline Eng_hassan85

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:04 pm »
I Like the Idea .. I was using the Oracd Autorouting , however I was doing some of them my self
Good Day !
Hassan Elsabaa

Rigol DS2072A .. Hacked to 300 Mhz , Fluke 179

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 09:18:36 am »
thank you dom0, that time it worked, had a nightmarish breakout board, 40 pins in to 26 8 pin plugs out, now all i have to do is shove around and tweak the results,

Note i normally route stuff, but for low cost and crazy breakout boards, i'm willing to stoop to any form of automation,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf