Author Topic: Cassette Tape Record circuit - Bias OSC  (Read 10198 times)

Offline SamScwanchTopic starter

Cassette Tape Record circuit - Bias OSC
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »
Yeah I know, ancient technology, but I couldn't think of a better forum to ask.

I am designing a cassette tape delay project and I am determined to build it from the ground up for a few reasons, the most important being form factor, custom pcb shape ect...

At this point I am figuring out the record circuit.

I think I may go with the AN7105 IC which was designed by Panasonic.

Attached picture was taken from: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/157265/PANASONIC/AN7105.html

Here is the question, as far as the BIAS OSC, I know I will need to generate a signal anywhere from 40 to 150 kHz and basically mix it with the L and R signal, can I use something as simple as a 555 timer? I will create somewhat of a sine wave coming out, with a variable frequency and amplitude to fine tune it for specific record heads.

Also will I only need to passively mix the bias osc and audio signal together? Or will a proper summing circuit be required?

Thanks guys.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:13:24 pm by SamScwanch »

Offline Paul Rose

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cassette Tape Record circuit - Bias OSC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:31:47 pm »
See http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/sound-engineering_28c.html in the neighborhood of section 4.2

The following users thanked this post: SamScwanch

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:57:08 pm »
@ Paul Rose: great link, very interesting.
Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:07:39 pm »
See http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/sound-engineering_28c.html in the neighborhood of section 4.2

Ah yes, thank you. I've been through this site and somehow missed this portion, this kind of explains how to modulate the bias and audio signal together properly. Thank you!

Offline MattHollands

• Frequent Contributor
    • Matt's Projects
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:15:17 pm »
I built one of these tape delay pedals a while back. What I found was that AC biasing the signal wasn't always the way to go. I took the tape head out of a tape player that used DC biasing (about 50mV) and I found that therefore DC biasing produced the best sound. When I tried AC biasing the signal (with 40kHz if I remember correctly), I got a weird buzzing sound, check out the link.

To be fair, I don't think I did extensive research into the biasing techniques so I could well be wrong, but this is just what I found.

My brief article: projects.matthollands.com/2015/03/12/project-analogue-tape-delay-writing-to-tape/
Sound: https://soundcloud.com/user-530698836/ac-biasing
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:17:35 pm by MattHollands »
Read about my stuff at: projects.matthollands.com

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:18:56 pm »
I built one of these tape delay pedals a while back. What I found was that AC biasing the signal wasn't always the way to go. I took the tape head out of a tape player that used DC biasing (about 50mV) and I found that therefore DC biasing produced the best sound. When I tried AC biasing the signal (with 40kHz if I remember correctly), I got a weird buzzing sound, check out the link.

To be fair, I don't think I did extensive research into the biasing techniques so I could well be wrong, but this is just what I found.

My brief article: projects.matthollands.com/2015/03/12/project-analogue-tape-delay-writing-to-tape/

I think it depends on the head, I think*** that typical high end tape heads are designed for AC

I think if you would have been able to dial in the frequency and amplitude you could have possibly made it sound much better. That is why I like the 555 timer idea, i'd literally tweak the frequency and amplitude, with a scope on the input and output delay to compare the two until its just right, or as good as it could get.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:22:28 pm by SamScwanch »

Offline MattHollands

• Frequent Contributor
    • Matt's Projects
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:20:58 pm »

I think it depends on the head, I think*** that typical high end tapes heads are designed for AC

Yeah I think you're right. I've been wanting to have another shot at this project for a while now.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:25:06 pm »

I think it depends on the head, I think*** that typical high end tapes heads are designed for AC

Yeah I think you're right. I've been wanting to have another shot at this project for a while now.

Well Ill keep it updated here, Id be happy to share what I've come up with. Ive got everything mostly figured out, play head circuit, low pass filters, high pass filters (for delay), motor controller, proper active summing mixer. Dual play heads, adjustable distance, adjustable speed (which I now think I may need to tie to the bias circuit for proper biasing at different speeds.

Offline MattHollands

• Frequent Contributor
    • Matt's Projects
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:26:24 pm »
Great! Thanks. Btw where did you get your tape heads from?

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 01:44:38 am »
I think it depends on the head, I think*** that typical high end tape heads are designed for AC

It's not the head so much as it's the tape that needs AC bias. To put it in highly, highly, simplistic terms, the magnetic domains on the tape get 'shaken up' by the bias signal making it easier for the (lower frequency) signal to get them to 'settle' into the new magnetic field you're trying to impose on them.

It is possible to use DC bias, but that only allows you to use less than half of the (magnetic) dynamic range of the tape. AC bias allows higher dynamic range and less distortion. DC bias in practical recorders is a historical curiosity that probably disappeared while magnetic recorders were still unheard of outside Germany. Basically: no bias = terrible distortion, DC bias = poor distortion and poor dynamic range, AC bias = best distortion and best dynamic range.

To explain it properly you need to talk about coercivity, remanence, BH curves and a whole lot more that I'm not even going to try to get into, if only for the reason that this is ancient history for me and I'd have to pull out the textbooks and revise before even attempting a proper explanation.

The only takeaway point that I'm going to offer is that proper bias strength and frequency is essential to linearising the magnetisation of the tape, and thus minimising the distortion inherent in the magnetic recording process. The head characteristics will largely set the operating frequency you can use (and physical considerations of tape and track width tend to determine the head characteristics), the tape chosen sets the bias level. Once upon a time I could do a 'line up' - getting the bias level and equalization set for a particular brand of tape - on a multitrack reel to reel recorder in my sleep* but it's so long ago now that I'd have to pull the books out just to work out which knob did what.

And forget 555 timers, this is definitely sine wave territory, in fact low distortion sine wave territory. It's time to learn the joys of trying to get an apparently simple sine wave oscillator circuit to 1) oscillate, 2) do so stably, 3) not generate umpteen unwanted harmonics.

Just had a, very quick, look at that HP app note. Those BH curves are on page 2-3.

This is one of those areas where you can learn a lot from 'the masters' by studying old circuit diagrams. I know for a fact that all the old Revox and Studer service manuals are available online, complete with schematics. By reading the circuit diagrams from several machines you'll soon get a feel for the basic 'how to' and after a while hopefully begin to spot some of the subtleties that make the difference between a design that simply works and a great design that works well.

*And usually did. Studio maintenance is an 'off hours' activity and I'm definitely an owl, not a lark.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Keicar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf