Author Topic: Charactoristics of an LED flash circuit  (Read 780 times)

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Charactoristics of an LED flash circuit
« on: November 23, 2017, 06:21:55 am »
I'm curious about the kind of circuits used to power the LED's as flash units in smartphones etc.  These are obviously a lot different than Zenon flash units and I understand that among the differences is that the peak voltage is MUCH less.  I would surmise a capacitor is used to store a charge and that a similar control circuit is used to fire and cutoff the current but, again, I'm not real clear on this.  The LED's used would likely be an optimized type but I'd guess many other LED's could be used though at lower power and with lower output.  So, looking at a typical smartphone that has an LED for autofocus, general illumination for video, as well as flash for stills what would be the typical values for charge, max/average current and voltage?  Assuming a 5600K LED that would operate continuously at about 3.2V or there abouts I'd have to guess that the voltage would need to be somewhat higher but within the breakdown voltage. 

I'd like to test this out with some 4000K LED's I have but knowing a bit more before hand would be desirable.

Brian

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: Charactoristics of an LED flash circuit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:03:34 am »
There quite a few phone LED driver ICs and circuits out there, I don't think they're all that special, mostly what they're doing is creating enough voltage.

http://www.electroschematics.com/12394/camera-white-led-flash-illumination
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:06:58 am by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Charactoristics of an LED flash circuit
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:39:18 am »
There quite a few phone LED driver ICs and circuits out there, I don't think they're all that special, mostly what they're doing is creating enough voltage.

http://www.electroschematics.com/12394/camera-white-led-flash-illumination

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.   The article is mostly related to the LED flash systems in smartphones with three or fewer LED's, but my application will have many more LED's so I should not have to drive them as hard. 

Brian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf