Author Topic: Computer USB recognicion problem with FT230X  (Read 5438 times)

Offline AxxelTopic starter

• Contributor
Computer USB recognicion problem with FT230X
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:40:16 am »
Dear friends.

I'm trying to make a CNC board controller board using GRBL, Toshiba TB6600 steppers drivers but where I have problems is with the USB/UART conversion.

|O

First I made one board with MCP2200, it was a BIG FAIL, and after some googling, of course MCP2200 is  :-- and everybody recommands the FTDI solution :) (And I avoid to use a 12Mhz external XTAL)...

I bought at MOUSER some Original FT230XS Revision D. (5 in total, only I have ONE becuase I think the 4 first are kapput   :-// )

The problem I have is the PC don't detect anything. Sometimes, it detects a USB device but the OS reports a USB hardware problem.

The first time I connect the board to the computer, it looks the OS is looking for the FTDI driver, but later, it was recognized as a "Unknown USD device"...

I tried with another computer, and it was the same problem... So I think the computer is OK :)

I use the 5V of USB to power the board, the microcontroller and obviously the FT230x...

I draw the schematic using the FTDI documentation of the chip.

This is the oficial FTDI diagram:

This is the diagram I made:

I checked the FT230XS library SSOP is correct.

I checked if I have the +5V on pin 12 -> CORRECT

I checked if I have the +3.3V on pin 3, 10, 11 -> CORRECT

I checked if I have the GND on pin 5, 13 -> CORRECT

I checked if the USB D+ D- are not inverted, this looks to be CORRECT

I checked continuity and shorts-circuits, everything looks te be okay.

Obviously, the board don't have the AVR and the TB6600 steppers drivers, the first step is to have a correct USB comunication... thing I don't have :(

So if someone have a clue or an idea, it will be welcome :)

Regards! >:D

PD : This is the pinout of the library I use:

;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:15:38 am by Axxel »

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Computer USB recognicion problem with FT230X
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:00:58 pm »
First I made one board with MCP2200, it was a BIG FAIL, and after some googling, of course MCP2200 is  :-- and everybody recommands the FTDI solution :) (And I avoid to use a 12Mhz external XTAL)...
Everybody is a strong word. What was the problem with MCP2200?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:16:24 pm »
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m660574.aspx - And no real solution...

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/546079442124943360 - An analysis with conclusion MCP2200 is bad

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/164926/microchip-mcp2200 - Some other arguments aigainst MCP2200

Here was one of my MCP2200 breadboard adapter for tests, it used to work for a while, but when it's time to put it on a finished circuit like the CNC board i'm making, its converts in a nightmare...

I tried this chip, I made experiments with this chips, and UNFORTUNATLY, I'm really deceptionated of this chip.

- MCP2200 in datasheet says have 0.16% error at 115200 bps  >:(
- MCP2200 gave me the same problems I have with the FT230x.
- MCP2200 is more expensive because needs external cristal.
- MCP2200 doesn't have full serial like FTDI chip to make an auto reset when I want to load a Arduino Sketch.
- MCP2200 is 18f14k50 remarked, it's OKAY but WITHOUT the oficial source code (I knew FT230x doesn't have but I understand it isn't a common microcontroller, not like the MCP2200 is a PIC).
- MCP2200 only have drivers for OSX and WIN (Linux I don't know) but FT230 have drivers for Android and Linux.

The board with MCP2200 has been disasembled to make this new one with FT230x. So for me MCP2200 was HISTORY  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:23:22 pm by Axxel »

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »
You could try leaving Reset floating, or connecting it to VCC (5v, not the 3.3v VCCIO) - when I use the FT230XS I have Reset connected to the 5v VCC and have no issues at all.  The data sheet (page 15 on mine) says "RESET# can be tied to VCC or left unconnected if not being used".

I have bee looking at the MCP2221a chip of late, does much the same, no crustal required, and has some additional functionality that I can make use of from time to time.  Not had any issues with that either.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:51:25 pm »
I'm not sure USB likes this routing and through hole resistors.
But, you do get some PID/VID instead of 0000, does FT_PROG recognize anything?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 06:44:15 pm »
Dear friends!

In the morning I built an USB adaptor for breadboard and recycled an SSOP to DIP adapter. My objective was to try the reset issue commented by jc101

I remove the AVR of an arduino to use it as an pure USB/SERIAL converter...

I cabled like this using my first diagram:

And look at this:

IT WORKS!!!

As I comented before, I cabled like this

The same thing I have on the CNC board I'm making...

So I think probably it isn't a design problem... it's more like a fabrication problem?

Solding this chip, it have a temperature breaking issue or a thing like that?

I don't understand because the multimeter says all the conexions are OK and there is not short-circuits on the board...

Any clue ;)

Look, this is what windows see, and FT Prog don't see nothing:

I removed the FT230x on the CNC controller board to put it on the breadboard, IT detects and it works, so it isn't the chip...

I tried to add the two 33ohm resistors on the D- D+ line on the breadboard, and now the party begin: THE FTDI is not dectected!

I remove the two 33ohms resistors, THE FTDI FOLLOWS to not be detected!!! It's like those resistores make the USB conection getting mad

I put an oscilosope to the D+ USB to see what I get : some rare times, the chip want to comunicate with the computer and the system works, but most of the times, it looks the signal wants to enter but it reset before that's why the computer detect an USB error... I wanted to do a video, I tried to sold directly an usb cable with pins to connect to the breadboard, but accidently I inverted + and - and I fried another chip. This one was to discard if the problem was the quality of the B USB conector I use...

SO:

The last one I have I will try to install it on the CNC board withour the 33ohm resistors...

I sold it and the same, unknown USB device detected...

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:07:54 pm by Axxel »

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 04:27:32 pm »
Dear friends!

I found where was the problem EXACTLY!

The problem was in the SODERING PROCESS!

The FLUX QUALITY!

I used a flux solder paste, wich one is used to solde copper water tubes, it's economic and it works as excepted.

But what I seen, this solder paste IS bad because it have I think a conductive property when it's become hot, it goes down the chip, and it acts as a resistor and this is the reason why it burns or not allow the chips to work.

An all ebay FT232 module don't give me any problem! I modded my PCB to use directly an all done FT232 module and no problem!

Regards.

Offline fc3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 04:42:40 pm »
Thank you for your replay.
My problem is a continuous reset from the device.

I would like to see the circuit diagram. If possible.

Regards

Francesco
Technology is Magic Made real.   (Elon Musk)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 07:24:25 pm »
Dear friends!

I found where was the problem EXACTLY!

The problem was in the SODERING PROCESS!

The FLUX QUALITY!

I used a flux solder paste, wich one is used to solde copper water tubes, it's economic and it works as excepted.

But what I seen, this solder paste IS bad because it have I think a conductive property when it's become hot, it goes down the chip, and it acts as a resistor and this is the reason why it burns or not allow the chips to work.

An all ebay FT232 module don't give me any problem! I modded my PCB to use directly an all done FT232 module and no problem!

Regards.

Please don't use copper pipe (plumber's) Flux. It is acidic and will damage your board and component leads over time. Also, as you have found, it is quite conductive.

This sort of flux will also eat your soldering iron tip very quickly, so really it isn't economical at all! Finally it is harmful to your health to breath the hot fumes.

It is essential to use flux (or solder paste) designed for electronic use, this is normally Rosin based (or something a little more complex for Lead-free solder). Normally it is sufficient to use cored solder, where the flux is included in the solder wire. For surface mount, you can get flux in pens (like fiber tip marker pens) to add extra flux - these are really easy  to use, with minimum waste.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:27:25 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 07:41:02 pm »
Only if by expected you mean not working or dying over time electronics. It's completely incompatible with any electronics. Moreover quite likely it will embed into PCB substrate so even through washing in ultrasonic bath won't be able to remove it completely.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:43:21 pm by wraper »

Offline fc3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 08:07:40 am »
Hi,
I have made a Module Using a FT230X.
I have adopted the circuit diagram as shown on page 22 of the datasheet (Bus Powered).

When I connect to the PC i get several attempt of connection from the PC (beeping). Then the PC gives up and Device Manager shows 'Unknown Device'.
I have verified with a scope that there is activity on the D- and D+ lines, during this period.

The voltages on the module are correct, 5V  for VCC and 3.3V VCCIO.
I have replaced the FT230X chip but no the problem still persists.
I have changed the the USB port, and tried on a different computer.
I have read all the errata from the datasheet as well.

I am attaching the circuit diagram of my project.

I need your help please. I have run out of ideas. ???

Regards and thank.

Francesco

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 08:58:17 am »
47nF on the data lines D+ / D- (as shown in your schematics) seems to be way too much. I did not check the FT datasheet, but I would bet, these caps should be rather 47pF than 47nF.

Edit: I checked the FT230X Datasheet and indeed: you need 47pF
Also, according to the datasheet, the capacitors should be connected BEFORE the 27 Ohm resistors, not behind. Having it behind you are creating a 125 Mhz low pass filter but USB 2 uses something around 500 Mhz if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:17:36 am by Pinkus »

Offline fc3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:47 am »
Thank you for the quick reply.
I have checked the BOM and find the error.

I did something stupid.
The circuit diagram is incorrect.
I new that it was incorrect, and forgot to make the change. So I ordered the wrong part. :(

Yes that would would give excessive filtering and corruption of data.
I will make the appropriate changes and let you know.

As they say check once, check twice... and then check again!!

Regards and thank you very much.

Francesco

Offline fc3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 09:41:15 am »
Hi,
I have just removed the caps completely (I do not have the 47pF caps yet) and the device was able to enumerate with the PC and installed the driver accordingly.
I am also thinking about what you said regarding the location of the caps caps. I see if I can modify the PCB to accommodate them.
I am still kicking myself for the silly mistakes I made.
Thank you very much my friend.

Regards

Francesco.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:45:51 am by fc3000 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf