Author Topic: Conductive Glues?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline maliquaTopic starter

• Contributor
Conductive Glues?
« on: October 15, 2014, 04:19:12 pm »
Hi, i have somewhat silly project i'm working on, its more of an art project, i'm looking for something i can use to connect large surface mount style components to a circuit that can't be soldered too. Have any of you used or know of a product that might help?

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
Re: Conductive Glues?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »
There are various adhesives that contain nickel, silver, or carbon to make them conductive. If you can find an electronics supplier in your area, they will probably carry MG Chemicals products, and they make some.

You can also try checking an auto parts store for a rear window defogger repair kit. This might be more like a conductive paint than glue, but it might be worth a try.

Offline calzap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:35 pm »
Master Bond and Atom makes a variety of silver-filled, conductive epoxies.  Available through Amazon, McMaster-Carr and elsewhere.  Be prepared for sticker-shock.  They go for about US$5 per gram.

Mike in California

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:28:30 pm »
As others have said, conductive epoxies are the way to go.  You can get one part (heat cure) or 2-part (resin + hardener, mix to cure).  Just keep in mind they tend not to be very flexible, so if it's something that will undergo bending stress, look into a silicone base rather than an epoxy base.  These epoxies work by being comprised of 99.9% pure silver balls suspended in an epoxy binder so that many of the balls are touching each other, giving conductivity.  That's why it's so expensive, it's almost all pure silver.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »
For relatively low currents, you might also be able to make-do with conductive paint for window defroster repair.

Offline hlokk

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 05:26:49 am »
Anders wire glue or SMD fix is pretty cheap and may work? Not sure if you'll need to glue the components down as well? Havent used it myself though.

Offline Flenser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:46:44 am »
Depending upon how much you want to use, how much you want to pay and how conductive you need it to be, you could also consder DYI http://www.instructables.com/id/Conductive-Paint/?ALLSTEPS

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 11:38:49 am »
I've found magnets tend to be useful in a lot of situations I have dreamt of having conductive glue at hand.  You can't solder directly to them (they tend to lose their permanent magnetism) but you can solder to a small piece of steel which then attaches.

This may not suit you  ;)

Offline maliquaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:34:12 pm »
Update i was planning on trying out a few methods to see which worked better and gave me the cleaner look. I started with the instructables link posted because it seemed the cheapest :)

Worked fairly well on my rudimentary test circuits using the materials for the final project so i'm going to just stick with it unless i run into problems.

thanks for all the advice!

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:53 pm »
Try mixing various glues with copper powder.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf