Author Topic: Problems triggering off a magnet strip with reed-switch  (Read 5614 times)

Offline commerouTopic starter

• Contributor
Problems triggering off a magnet strip with reed-switch
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:26:20 pm »
Hi, I am having a bit of trouble and I thought some smart people from the eev forum might have an answer.

I am trying to trigger of a magnet strip with a 2 reed-switches in series. The reason why I am using 2 reed-switches is because it is mounted on a machine and there is a lot of vibrations which causes wrong triggering sometimes so I placed 2 reed-switches in series and one of them was turned 90 degrees compared to the other.

The problem I have now is that the magnets is under approx. 30cm of dirt, and it is not triggering all the time.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Teemo

• Regular Contributor
Re: Problems triggering off a magnet strip with reed-switch
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:42 pm »
The reed swithes are sensitive to the direction of the magnetic field. They will not trigger equally well with if turned at different angles to the magnetic field.
Also I can not imagine reed switch that triggers from as far as 30cm!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:13:29 pm by Teemo »

Offline daveatol

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:51:49 am »
If you want to detect when either reed switch turns on, then you'd connect them in parallel.
If you want to detect when either reed switch turns off, then you'd connect them in series.

If you want long distance triggering, make sure you have a strong magnet, e.g. rare-earth type, and not the common lame old ferrite strip.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:58:11 am »
If you are concerned about vibration, consider using a Hall Effect sensor do detect the magnet rather then reed relays. It will probably work much better at a distance then the reed relays as well.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:35:10 am »
If you are concerned about vibration, consider using a Hall Effect sensor do detect the magnet rather then reed relays. It will probably work much better at a distance then the reed relays as well.

This 100%.  Reed switches just aren't that reliable.  And I'm impressed that you got them to trigger from 30cm away.  Very impressed, actually.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:17:21 am »
I have considered using a hall-effect switch, but I could not find any which are sensitive enough. Does any of you guys have any idea on which hall-effect I could use?

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 12:02:17 pm »
I have considered using a hall-effect switch, but I could not find any which are sensitive enough. Does any of you guys have any idea on which hall-effect I could use?
If the switches that go down to a few mT trip point are not sensitive enough, then search for linear Hall Effect sensors.  You will find many examples at places like Digikey.

Definitely, a Hall Effect switch or linear sensor will be very much more sensitive then a reed relay.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:12 pm »
Thanks for the answers, Im gonna try some different hall-effect sensors and hopefully find the best.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 07:06:33 am »
An additional benefit of the hall sensors is that they won't be susceptible to false triggering because of vibrations, so you only need 1 of them, not two, as in the two orthogonally mounted reed switches you have now.

Also 30cm is really far for a reed, as others have said. You must be using one hella magnet there.

A hall sensor is much more sensitive, you can probably reduce the magnet size, if there's any benefit in doing so.

Offline Niklas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 07:34:16 am »
Some safety related applications must have multiple sensors with compaired measurements and sanity check. Two sensors or more, placed at different angles (as seen from the rotationg shaft) and with different rotation (IC package mounting angle) is a nice approach.

Hall effect sensors come in a couple of setups: latching/non-latching, sensitive to magnetic north/sensitive to both polarities, constant on/sleep+latch, analog output/open drain etc. I have used the A3245 from Allegro in a prototype a couple of years ago which is now superseeded by A1126. It was not sensitive to the magnetic polarization and it was on all the time. Some low power sensors go to sleep, wakes up, samples and latches the new value to the output. It works fine for closed lid detection on laptops, but not for precise rotation sensing.
Also check the magnet orientation so that the field lines hit the sensor from the right direction according to the sensor's datasheet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf