Author Topic: Conformal coating for marine environment  (Read 3698 times)

Offline MoriambarTopic starter

• Supporter
Conformal coating for marine environment
« on: September 19, 2018, 07:56:23 am »
Hi, I am looking around to understand how to choose a conformal coating for a pcb which is exposed to marine environment (well it has a case, but it is installed ~20m from the sea, facing it).
I tried looking around but, being a beginner (and a total noob regarding this), I don't know what to choose. Is acrylic ok? Is something like MG 419C suitable or is there anything better?
Most of all: how can I learn and understand how to select my conformal coating (for future projects too)?

Thanks

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Conformal coating for marine environment
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 06:27:03 pm »
You might want to consider some sort of protective soft wax type coating, I'm thinking that any defect in the conformal coat could allow salt ladened moisture to creep under it and cause corrosion - it's even been seen with electrolyte from burst electrolytic capacitors creeping under the PCB solder resist and destroying tracks.

Maybe a combination of the two types? I'm sure there must be something automotive that would do the job.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Moriambar

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:53:18 pm »
For a quick overview: https://www.electrolube.com/technical-articles/conformal-coating-vs-encapsulation-protecting-electronic-devices-which-do-i-choose/

Acrylic coatings are easier to handle and "cleaner", but offer less protection than resin-based encapsulation.

For a marine environment, I would tend to prefer a polyurethane encapsulation as Electrolube suggests, even though in your case there will probably never be any direct contact with water.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »
For a quick overview: https://www.electrolube.com/technical-articles/conformal-coating-vs-encapsulation-protecting-electronic-devices-which-do-i-choose/

Acrylic coatings are easier to handle and "cleaner", but offer less protection than resin-based encapsulation.
nice, thanks

For a marine environment, I would tend to prefer a polyurethane encapsulation as Electrolube suggests, even though in your case there will probably never be any direct contact with water.
Ok, yes, there won't be any direct contact with water, only seaside moisture, which is kinda nasty by itself.

Thanks

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:44:05 pm »
Yes, salt-loaded moisture is very nasty.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:51:23 pm »
Based on the technical criteria in this note, it looks like your choices are urethane resin or parylene for salt-moisture protection:
https://blog.paryleneconformalcoating.com/best-conformal-coating-for-moisture-and-chemical-protection

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:52:45 pm »
This is a video I like when talking conformal coating :)

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:54:40 pm »
Based on the technical criteria in this note, it looks like your choices are urethane resin or parylene for salt-moisture protection:
https://blog.paryleneconformalcoating.com/best-conformal-coating-for-moisture-and-chemical-protection
Ok, thanks

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 09:56:09 pm »
Hi, I am looking around to understand how to choose a conformal coating for a pcb which is exposed to marine environment (well it has a case, but it is installed ~20m from the sea, facing it).
I tried looking around but, being a beginner (and a total noob regarding this), I don't know what to choose. Is acrylic ok? Is something like MG 419C suitable or is there anything better?
Most of all: how can I learn and understand how to select my conformal coating (for future projects too)?

Thanks
Does it have to be reworkable?

How about simply potting the assembly or covering it with a layer of silicone rubber? If you go for the silicone rubber option, just make sure you get the type which doesn't produce acid whilst curing.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 06:11:50 am »
Nope

How about simply potting the assembly or covering it with a layer of silicone rubber? If you go for the silicone rubber option, just make sure you get the type which doesn't produce acid whilst curing.
Being a noob any solution is ok to me, thanks!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:32 am »
Nope

We use this at work for protecting PCBs. It's not cheap, but is highly resistant to oils and corrosive substances.
https://uk.farnell.com/dowsil-formerly-dow-corning/3140-90ml/rtv-silicone-clear-tube-90ml/dp/101713?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:37:08 am »
Nope

We use this at work for protecting PCBs. It's not cheap, but is highly resistant to oils and corrosive substances.
https://uk.farnell.com/dowsil-formerly-dow-corning/3140-90ml/rtv-silicone-clear-tube-90ml/dp/101713?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

great thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf