Author Topic: Connectors for mini grabbers and alligator clips?  (Read 5480 times)

Offline just_fib_itTopic starter

• Contributor
Connectors for mini grabbers and alligator clips?
« on: July 11, 2015, 06:35:53 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm building a little power supply and figured it would be convenient to have some kind of connectors on there that I can easily connect mini grabber hooks and alligator clips to. Either in addition to or instead of the usual binding posts.

My initial thought was to put some right-angle pin headers on the front panel, but I'm starting to think that that would look a bit too how-ya-doin'.

So I'm now leaning towards some kind of U-shaped rods, but haven't had much luck finding those. Something panel-mount would be ideal, but I can also go for a PCB front panel if necessary.

Any suggestions, keywords to search for, or better ideas?

It doesn't need to be able to handle a lot of current, 2-3A is plenty for my needs.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Connectors for mini grabbers and alligator clips?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:14:51 pm »
You might take a look through Keystone's catalog for some ideas. They've got some panel mount turret terminals that look like the right idea, but probably too small.  If you do a PCB front panel you could just use some heavy solid copper wire bent into a 'U' shape with both ends soldered into the PCB. You probably want it tinned to avoid oxidation, though.

Offline just_fib_itTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:33:40 pm »
The problem with those turrets is that the grabber hook and lead would be parallel to the panel of the case. It would be more convenient to have the leads pointing away from the case.

The Keystone catalog does have some items that come close: I was originally thinking of something like this handle, but a lot smaller, around 10mm wide.
A wider version of this test point would also work.

Some bent solid wire would also do the job and would definitely be the cheapest solution, but a color coded ring like on those Keystone test points would be nice to have to easily distinguish the positive and negative outputs.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:42:25 pm by just_fib_it »

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »
Vero loop terminal ?
I.e. RS# 508-0708

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »
These accept a 2mm pin.  You could use two with a loop of 2mm/12AWG wire stuck in if you don't mind spending ~$4 per connection. 

Alternatively, just use the standard banana/binding post combos and solder a loop of wire to a banana plug that you can plug in when needed.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:13:26 am »
Alternatively, just use the standard banana/binding post combos and solder a loop of wire to a banana plug that you can plug in when needed.

I like this idea the best, because it's clearly the simplest solution.  You can leave your PSU front panel with just banana jacks, and you can plug this in when you need it.  It can even work with stack-able banana plugs, so you can have wires on banana plugs and loops for grabbers at the same time if you needed that.

If you still want to mount loops to the front panel, you might need to just use some test point loops and a PC board or veroboard sticking out the front panel. 

Also, you can get creative with hardware...

Something like this can be screw mounted to a veroboard at the front panel, and gives you a really big loop to connect multiple alligator clips or grabbers to. These are D-sub connector locks. You can connect your PSU output to it at the screw with a crimped spade or loop, but you will probably need to solder the hinge , to keep it from flapping about.   That might be hard to do since it's stainless steel, you'll need silver solder here or some other way to weld the hinge.  If you've never seen them before, these are made for locking D connectors. The 2nd picture below gives you an idea for their size.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/5552567-3/A113964-ND/1121520

These might work for you too, you can stick them through a metal front panel using teflon insulators or bushings:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/QLOCKPOST-2/QLOCKPOST-2-ND/1632174

(click for bigger pictures)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 02:29:44 pm »
Or, you can just install the usual banana posts, and make yourself up some of these.
Which is more versatile. You can use them with any equipment with banana posts. While still being able to screw wires into the posts.
These can be made with any old broken banana plugs, that you can solder wire to.

Edit: ajb beat me to it.

Incidentally, if small is the priority, You can make nice flying and patch lead systems from scavenged D-shell connectors. Pull apart a few male connectors with the machined solder-type pins, and put those pins on the ends of your leads. Mount female D-shell connectors on the equipment panel.  Put a small diagram next to the connector saying which pins are what.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:48:29 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »
Why not just buy some mini-grabber to banana plug or alligator clip to banana plug cables? You can find them cheap on ebay, or if you want high quality (and don't mind the price) Pomona makes them.

example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Test-Hook-Clips-Probe-to-4MM-banana-plug-Leads-for-IC-Grabbers-Probes-100CM-/161708716419
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:02:20 pm by rdl »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 12:40:59 am »

How about these (same as someone else said but with a source)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCB-Test-Point-Test-Pin-Terminals-PC-Board-Test-the-needle-ceramic-test-bead-50pcs/1494807474.html

I have been thinking along the same lines and these would save panel space and not bad looking.  Not sure how to mount them, maybe glue.  I thought about a blob of hot glue on the inside.  Should not have a lot of force acting on them by using mini-hooks.

Another idea I have is using these (they are cool looking)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NewWorld-2pcs-Gold-Plated-Binding-Post-Amplifier-Connector-Banana-Plugs/32282470935.html

Let us know what you decide.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf