Author Topic: Contactless Water Level Sensors  (Read 1892 times)

Offline picandmixTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Contactless Water Level Sensors
« on: December 11, 2018, 02:37:23 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone have practical experience of these water level sensors  ?

Looking at aquarium tank level use, but cannot find any real info on how accurate they are and what the high to low differential is.

Have used simple Float switches in the past and they can be surprisingly accurate to a couple of mm, but rather bulky and unsightly in a small tank.

Also just testing out an optical senor, but having one of these contactless ones outside the tank would be a much better option if they work ok ?

The following users thanked this post: spec

Offline ranthalion

• Contributor
Re: Contactless Water Level Sensors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:03:58 am »
I've been using a handful of them for various reef aquarium purposes.  The work well for me so far.  I'm using a one to automate water transfer from RODI to mixing reservior.  It's been working well for me sensing through a 55 gallon plastic drum.  I also have one on my 30 gallon top off reservoir to notify when the water level is getting low and needs to be refilled.  I haven't used it to control the actual top off yet since I have a set of reduntant float valves and a pump handling that for the last several years. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/water-level-based-relay-controller.487954/#post-5294119 has details on my small water level project.

The following users thanked this post: spec, picandmix

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 08:09:01 am »
Mmmm I'm interested!  Using my DIY float switches (from fleabay) for Airconditioner condensate pump, all OEM sensors kept failing and they cost a lot.  I thus made a dual float switch that I connected self holding relay when floats are up, so it stops cycling the pump too much and gives the system hysteresis.  Works a treat...except I need a separate or 3rd sensor for Flood.  In case the pump fails.  Pump is great its just the OEM sensors, Sauermann.

I cannot fit another float in as I'm using 50mm PVC pipe as the reservoir.  I mean I could if I re-did it all, put the existing floats on the bottom, swap over connections and floats, install another small float in the top, might squeeze.   I'm constrained for room as the reservoir fits between walls.  So if I can sneak in another small sensor to existing...winning!
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

The following users thanked this post: picandmix

Offline picandmixTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:24:14 am »
Thanks,    did order one, but still waiting for it a month later !

Been using the optical sensor instead and its giving very accurate level , close to 1mm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf