Author Topic: Controlling USB KVM Switch using Arduino  (Read 4433 times)

Offline bagetTopic starter

• Contributor
Controlling USB KVM Switch using Arduino
« on: June 01, 2015, 07:29:40 pm »
Hi

I would like to control my USB KVM Switch (IOGear GCS1104 http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1104/)  using Arduino.

I got an Arduino board with ATmega32U4 (Sparkfun Pro Micro 5V) and I'm using code like that:
Code: [Select]

Keyboard.press(key);
delay(pressReleaseDelay);
Keyboard.releaseAll();

to send keys.

when I connect it to my computer USB port , the code works great.  :clap:
but when I connect it to my KVM Keyboard Port it does not work. (not even sending a simple keys)  |O

what could be the problem?  :-BROKE
 :-//

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Controlling USB KVM Switch using Arduino
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:44 am »
Baget, forgive the question, but why?  It only takes a double tap of the scroll lock key to switch between computers.  I have one and it is a simple handy device.  Isn't trying to control it by Arduino over complicating things?  How will the Arduino know when you want to changes computers?  I am just starting to look at Arduinos to dip my toes into microcontrollers so I may be a bit naive here.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 06:36:40 am »
it is very simple, I have new Mechanical keyboard that does not work with the KVM Keyboard Port only with the Peripheral USB Port, which mean that I can't switch the KVM using the Scroll lock.
so I would like to build a small Keys controller that will be attach to my keyboard, so I Can quickly my computers.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:30:20 pm »
Take old keyboard that does work with the KVM ( cheapest one around) and strip the board out of it, and look up the 2 matrix lines for scroll lock, then place in small box with a single button on it. Double tap button to change and all done. Cost is the keyboard ( can be free using an old worn out cheapie), the box and switch. Deluxe model the LED's on the board are visible.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:45 pm »
Take old keyboard that does work with the KVM ( cheapest one around) and strip the board out of it, and look up the 2 matrix lines for scroll lock, then place in small box with a single button on it. Double tap button to change and all done. Cost is the keyboard ( can be free using an old worn out cheapie), the box and switch. Deluxe model the LED's on the board are visible.

yes this is also an option,but I'm try see if I can solve the Arduino issue or not...
it seem like I need to use HID Boot Protocol, this is the protocol that keyboard use to talk to BIOS.
my guess this is what will solve my problems...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf