Author Topic: CPLD Fun Board: homemade Arduino STM32 + CPLD low cost board...  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Just4FunTopic starter

• Contributor
  • It´s not my fault!
    • Projects site (on Hackaday)
CPLD Fun Board: homemade Arduino STM32 + CPLD low cost board...
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:29:21 pm »
Hi all,
I was curious to play with CPLD/FPGA stuff so I decided to make a board on my own...

Here it is the result:

and here a short video: video.

It can be seen as two boards into one: a STM32F103 based Arduino (Maple Mini compatible; for a short story about the Maple Mini and the stm32duino see here) and an Altera MAX II CPLD (EPM240T100 or EPM570T100) dev board to start playing with VHDL/Verilog, or just to try to use a CPLD with the Quartus II schematic editor.

The basic idea is to have a STM32 Arduino to use as "stimulus generator" for the CPLD (e.g. I2C master) and an Altera MAX II CPLD on the same board. In this way is easier to set up a complete "test bench" for the CPLD "application" (e.g. your custom I2C interface).

The cost should be about 5/6$ plus the PCB (I haven't done the precise BOM calculation yet...), buying the components "around". The "pluggable" LCD module and the optional stand-alone 50MHz oscillator aren't included in the cost count.

All the details including the schematic and the PCB Gerber files can be found here.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:08:54 pm by Just4Fun »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline mubes

• Regular Contributor
  • Do Not Boil
Re: CPLD Fun Board: homemade Arduino STM32 + CPLD low cost board...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »
Nice! As a bonus you're likely to find that F103 has 128K rather than 64K of flash on it :-)  i don't _need_ another project, but when I see cool stuff like this I always seem to end up with them...no idea how it happens

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:01:30 pm »
I like it - another guy from the hackerspace too. Keep us informed :)
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline Just4FunTopic starter

• Contributor
  • It´s not my fault!
    • Projects site (on Hackaday)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:43 pm »
Thanks guys!

As a bonus you're likely to find that F103 has 128K rather than 64K of flash on it :-)

I'm so used to think at the F103C8 as an 128kB device that I forget to mention it.... :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf