Author Topic: Datasheet jokes.  (Read 9215 times)

Offline David ChamberlainTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Datasheet jokes.
« on: April 22, 2018, 03:43:15 am »
Sometimes datasheets have some weird / funny things in them...

No way?!, this should be promoted to page one it seems kind of important.

ANY application, ANYTHING at all... But here are some others just in case the first point was not clear.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Datasheet jokes.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 03:56:05 am »
I totally understand. From time to time I have to write documentation like this, and for me personally it is incredibly hard to fill out the standard template.

That's exactly my attitude - it is an oscillator, you know if you need one, and if you need one, you know what you want it for.
Alex

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:09:49 am »
Yeah, those applications sections of data sheets seem kind of a waste of time to me. By the time you get to reading a data sheet you’re not going to say: “Oh, I could make an Ethernet adapter with this!? Let me pivot wildly to do that instead”

And if you already ARE making an ethernet adapter, it’s not like you are going to go through hundreds of data sheets till you find one that says that it is a good application.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:46:37 am »
This one is unintentional.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:08:13 am »
Enough said ...  :-DD  real PDF datasheet attached below

Offline palpurul

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 06:28:03 am »

An actual drain. WOM!!!!! :D

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 07:10:49 am »
Many Linear application notes have little cartoons in them.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 07:36:06 am »

I had a good laugh at this graph, and then realised it's actually true some times and got sad. :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 07:45:16 am »
Yeah, those applications sections of data sheets seem kind of a waste of time to me. By the time you get to reading a data sheet you’re not going to say: “Oh, I could make an Ethernet adapter with this!? Let me pivot wildly to do that instead”

And if you already ARE making an ethernet adapter, it’s not like you are going to go through hundreds of data sheets till you find one that says that it is a good application.

True... but more seriously I think they are kind of coded instructions for sales people to call all their customers who fit under any given banners. 'This part is good for Ethernet adapters, I must let so and so know...'  also they give an insight as to why a given product exists and to what market segment it is targeting.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 09:05:37 am »
A bit unrelated, but then there is the Imodium Q36 space modulator...  :-DD  :scared:

PEACE===>T

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 09:35:32 am »
NS took the whole thing to a rather OTT level with their LM0901A1411090451C "Macropower, low performance, degraded circuit operational amplifier" http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/LM0901A1411090451C_Nat_Semi_'78.PDF

As far as I'm aware, the whole sorry saga was inspired by the classic "Umac 606 Infernal Anode Phantasatron" http://www.tubecollectors.org/archives/606.pdf  :-DD
[Edit: The cooling requirements and tap of the 25120 WOM are certainly a homage to it]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:45:22 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 11:57:39 pm »
NS took the whole thing to a rather OTT level with their LM0901A1411090451C "Macropower, low performance, degraded circuit operational amplifier" http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/LM0901A1411090451C_Nat_Semi_'78.PDF

A colleague at a previous job had a data sheet for a National Semiconductor “Odor I/O.” I’ve been looking for that online for years, and nothing comes up.

Online schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 12:58:34 am »
There was also a datasheet which showed how to implement all six filter configurations:

Low pass, high pass, band pass, band rejects, all pass and the no pass.

Offline jfitter

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 01:24:33 am »
Not exactly a datasheet, but this little gem from the opening page of a 1970's user manual for an instrument made in Oz. "Activate the master initialization switch to the SEQEB interface" - ie. switch it ON. (SEQEB was the South East Queensland Electricity Board - the power company).

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 02:41:32 am »
There was also a datasheet which showed how to implement all six filter configurations:

Low pass, high pass, band pass, band rejects, all pass and the no pass.
None shall pass!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 03:59:59 am »

As far as I'm aware, the whole sorry saga was inspired by the classic "Umac 606 Infernal Anode Phantasatron" http://www.tubecollectors.org/archives/606.pdf  :-DD
[Edit: The cooling requirements and tap of the 25120 WOM are certainly a homage to it]
Performance characteristic chart innuendo included.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 04:16:47 am »
This one is decades old, but among my favorites from my pro-audio days.....

http://www.repeater-builder.com/molotora/gontor/belchfire.pdf
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 04:28:31 am »
This one is decades old, but among my favorites from my pro-audio days.....

http://www.repeater-builder.com/molotora/gontor/belchfire.pdf
Behringer has a whole series of power amplifiers called the I-NUKE. The only question: what manufacturer’s design did their copy to make it?

Offline fejkblad

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 04:40:49 am »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 04:46:34 am »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 05:59:31 am »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:21:01 am by Simon »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »
I have seen a filter graph from the filters manufacturer stating pressure drop for flow rate when the filter is new and when fully blocked. The clean line was the expected curve, the fully blocked line was.... a line starting at the same point and later intersecting the clean curve and passing through it making the blocked filter flow more easily than a clean one which breaks physics...... oh it's ok the filters are only used in life support systems, obviously we don't use their data very extensively.......

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 05:09:59 pm »
I have seen a filter graph from the filters manufacturer stating pressure drop for flow rate when the filter is new and when fully blocked. The clean line was the expected curve, the fully blocked line was.... a line starting at the same point and later intersecting the clean curve and passing through it making the blocked filter flow more easily than a clean one which breaks physics...... oh it's ok the filters are only used in life support systems, obviously we don't use their data very extensively.......

That's what happens when the pressure drop gets large enough to punch a hole in the filter media...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 05:37:06 pm »

I've heard of filters that have a bypass if they get clogged, it's conceivable that a clogged filter could bypass and flow better than a new one, obviously not providing any filtering at that point.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 05:48:15 pm »

Love the control grid made from senileium.  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf