Author Topic: DC Power Connector Identification  (Read 3017 times)

Offline morphisTopic starter

DC Power Connector Identification
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:22:15 am »
Hi

I have a Eaton 5PX UPS.
Eaton used to make an external battery breakout connector so bulk lead acid batteries could be connected, rather than the 1-4 Eaton EBMs ( External Battery Modules ).

As I can not find the breakout connector any where now, I'm trying to find out if this DC connector on the back of this unit is available somewhere.

Its the large 5 pin connector in the centre. ( 48 VDC , 55 A )

Spent hours looking with no luck so far. It maybe a custom Eaton connector.

If it is, I'll have to mod the UPS and install a standard Anderson connector.

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DC Power Connector Identification
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:27:17 am »
Most Eaton UPS use Anderson Powerpole connectors but there are indeed a few models that use proprietary connectors.

So although I'm not entirely familiar with the 5PX, it is quite possible that is proprietary seeing as some of their other models have had proprietary connector in the past.

Offline morphisTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:38:58 pm »
I recently scored a Powerware 9120 700VA and Powerware 9120 1000VA, That have the same external battery connector.

Details on the connector
30A 250VDC
PPC 25R-5-A
WELL SHIN

Seams Well Shin is a Taiwanese power connector manufacture though I have not been able to find out anymore info yet.

Pinout is:
|                                  |
| Pos                      Pos |
 --------------------------

And 4mm banana plugs fit perfectly  ^-^.
I'll 3D print a plug assembly to hold 5 banana plugs.

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:23 pm »
Hi morphis,

Just interested to ask, did you already manage to add DIY external 4*12V battery to your Eaton 5PX UPS ?
I am interested of this, since I also own 5PX series UPS (5PX2200iRTN).

Maybe some future I could consider getting extension battery pack to it. One option may be to try find a used enclosure and buy new batteries to it. I understood the new (and original Eaton) battery packs are highly priced.

In the panel of 5PX series, there is modular RJ-connector named as "to battery cabinet". Does the DIY external battery even work, if detection connector is not used ?
The battery (at least for 5PX2200 -> type 5PXEBM48RT) has mentioned standard supplied accessories "EBM detection cord".

I have a now (unfortunately) a faulty 5PX UPS in my hands, battery charging failure alarm seen  :-BROKE The unit is little bit over one year old. Estimated arrival of replacement unit will be in next 1...3 weeks.
Timo, OH7HMS

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf