Author Topic: Oscilloscope from scratch  (Read 5238 times)

Experimentonomen

Oscilloscope from scratch
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:50:05 am »
Hi! I am a 24 year old experimenter from sweden that have been doing electronics since i were 6 year old.

Oscilloscopes are a great too to have around the lab for checking signals for abnormalities, i used to have a Tektronix 2445B 200MHz analog scope but its been broken for some time now, then i thought: hey i have that old broken 10MHz scope just laying around, maybe i could do something with it.

Said and done, i decided to try and build a scope from scrath, maybe i´d learn something in the process.

This is the progress after about a week of work:

Offline thedigitalprincess

• Contributor
  • DERP
Re: Oscilloscope from scratch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:51 am »
That's a lot of wires but a cool project non the less :)

I hope it comes together well for you.

The only issue I have is the viewing panel without the grid divisions. How do you know the period and amplitude of your waveform?
Got done doing 126kmph on the Fed Hwy at Collector but not at Base or Emitter.

Experimentonomen

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »
I just wanna see what waveforms look like. But the grid is typically in centimeters so if i wanned to i could make a grid outta some plexiglass and calibrate the input for xV/div and so on.

This is a work in progress and may take several years to finish.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »
hm reminds me of a similar scope my dad built from a kit long ago, it still sort of works but the screen displays a bit topsiturvy, probably needs a few parts changing like caps

Experimentonomen

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:39:20 am »
A little update. Yesterday i designed a triggered sweep generator with trig holdoff.

Schematic:

The holdoff works by strobing pin 6 on the LM311 as per datasheet suggestion.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:09:37 am »
Maybe you can get some inspiration from the Welec scope project
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Experimentonomen

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:10:45 am »
Eww digital. Why would i get inspiration from that ? I cannot program FPGA's, or any mcu for that matter.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:54 pm »
sorry, was meant to be posted in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=490.0  ;D

Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf