Author Topic: DIY bench power supply PSL-3604  (Read 74218 times)

Offline LivTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: DIY bench power supply PSL-3604
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2018, 09:32:28 am »
I made this product for myself in one copy.
PSU PSL-3604 Pulse gen. PG-872 Freq. cnt. FC-510

Offline Hextejas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2018, 05:05:51 pm »
That Is a beautiful project Mr. Live, and I too would be interested in buying one if it becomes available. Price considered of course.

Best,
George KG5TKY

Offline superm18

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2019, 08:41:17 pm »
Hallo Mr. Liv and all who follow this tread.

I'm looking for someone who has a spare set of PCB's that i can purchase?
If no one has, then maybe someone is willing to place an order for a small production together to minimize cost and waste?
Third option would be for someone to be wiling to purchase a finished PSU or a kit from me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance  :-+

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »
Oof, I would have loved to, but I'm in Belgium and my experience is that sending stuff through Europe usually turns out more expensive than just placing two individual orders from China. If I were you I'd just order at a cheap Chinese manufacturer, and sit back and relax.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:58:58 pm by Crumble »

Offline superm18

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:56 pm »
Yes, i think you are right. I found a thread on the topic on the best and cheapest places to buy PCB's and have found a very affordable site in Japan. On top of that they actually have almost all the parts even though a lot of them are obsolete.

Anyway, i should receive some bords and parts in the near furture if anybody should be interested in PCB's, a full kit or a completed PSL-3604!

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2019, 09:41:52 pm »
In Japan? :o That kind of surprises me, I guessed it would be a Chinese site like seeedstudio or jlcpcb. Which site are you using?

Which parts do you see which are obsolete? Most parts either have a more modern equivalent or are still available. I don't see that many outdated parts to be honest (but I did not check the entire BOM for availability, bit tedious ;D).

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2019, 11:08:24 am »
I would be interested in set of PCBs (if price is right). (EU-Germany)
 ;)

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2019, 08:08:11 pm »
I am checking if I can get a set of boards made now for the fun of it, and two details came to my attention:
  • The voltage is too high for the rectification MOSFETs, they are rated 25V, but with 10V windings the'd have to cope with >28V, so I consider that risky and will use 30V parts and try to make the transformer 4x8V or so. I will likely use the 30V IRLR8726, which is very cheaply available at lcsc.com: product link;
  • The holes for the spade terminals are too small, most I can get here (at Farnell: search link) require a 1.4mm end size. I don't have any terminals with this smaller hole size and had issues finding any, therefore I will modify the final design to have larger holes.
This does not mean I am not impressed with the execution of the PCB! :-+ It is a relatively complex design, but the PCB can be produced very easily (0.3mm min track width, 0.2mm isolation distance, 0.6mm minimum hole size, any PCB producer can do this). The legend is organised and all reference designators are printed and there is the facility for multiple variants of some parts.

This is just a hobby thing for me, so future progress may be slow and haphazard, but I thought to start out doing the basic checks and modifications to the design and share my thoughts with you. I will certainly upload a picture when I get around ordering the boards!

Offline avogadro

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2019, 11:44:59 am »
What would be the cost to make this power supply?

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2019, 06:36:04 pm »
Depends... I have not made a complete BOM yet, and some of the custom parts (mainly the transformer and mechanicals) will be very dependent on where and how you get them. It will not be cheap if you have them custom made. I had a single set of PCBs made here at a supplier I know, but for one-off quantity the PCB would have cost me €100 at regular prices, which may be rather steep. A 225VA transformer (the type that you should use for this design, the one Liv used is actually a bit underrated*) easily costs €50 new, and you will still have to rewind it.

On the other hand, if you can use an existing enclosure with a scrap transformer and cooling you can save a lot of money. I will check if I can get the panel I now ordered here in Europe made cheaper in China (which is quite likely), but the PCBs in a panel are about 150x200mm, so the surface area will count in the final price. I will disclose this information as soon as I have it, but at this point I did not do the boring administrative work yet. ;D

What kind of budget are you on?

*edit: I think the design has a derating system for higher voltages.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:38:00 pm by Crumble »

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2019, 09:26:49 pm »
Update: I ordered parts at LCSC, and they were underway for just over a week until they got stopped by the Belgian customs... Paperwork and delays.  :blah:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:35:30 pm by Crumble »

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2019, 09:47:13 pm »
I had these PCBs made into a panel and I attached the design files to the post. These are .dpf files, they should be readable by any PCB production company.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:36:16 pm by Crumble »

Offline Burning Circuits

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2020, 05:46:16 pm »
Hi Leonid,
I have a question regarding the control loops of the EEZ H24005 Bench Power Supply

What's the advantage of IC5A that sink current, instead of the traditional way where an OP-AMP drive the base of a transistor? Stability?

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2020, 05:58:44 pm »
Hi there, I haven't heared from Liv for quite a bit, so I don't think he'll reply anytime soon.

But why are you asking this question about an unrelated power supply here? It seems to make more sense to create a new topic with the proper subject, so other people that may know it will recognise it and provide a useful answer.

Offline mazerswe

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2021, 02:51:11 pm »
Do you think it would be able do build with 2 transformers instead of rewind one?

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2021, 04:26:08 pm »
One could as well use 2 seprate transformers.  Usually 1 larger transformer is a little more efficient, as the power rating about scales with the weight to the power of 4/3. However the difference is not hat big. Transformers with just 1 split seconondary are a lot more common than with 2x split.

Offline ub3dki

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2021, 07:37:55 am »
JLCPCB does not open files :(

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2021, 05:59:28 am »
Someone asked me about PSL-3604 synchronous rectifier simulation I posted a long time ago on another forum where access is limited. Here I put it in the attachment so that it can be downloaded freely.

The following users thanked this post: anur156

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2021, 07:43:38 am »
JLCPCB does not open files :(
That's a shame, I did not anticipate that. I will have to check if a converter between .dpf and .gbr files exists, it should have a similar format. I am not giving any guarantees though... :-[ I will let you know when I know more.

Regards.

Offline anur156

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2023, 11:28:40 am »
Hello,
Can someone please share the LTSpice simulation files

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf