Author Topic: DIY EMP Gun  (Read 9296 times)

Offline Kedar264Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Listen to Your Voice
DIY EMP Gun
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:08:14 am »
Hello my dear friends. EMP is one of the most popularly used sci-fi gadget in movies. It is not only a science fiction concept it is real and you can make it from very common household items. So today I am going to show you. EMP gun .

EMP device stands for electromagnetic pulseEMP devices can damage any electronic devices or disturbed there working. Please be careful while making this EMP Gun. Also make sure that use of EMP is illegal in some areas. I am making this device for pure educational purposes to know the effect of EMP on day to day consumer electronics. Please do not use it like a terrorist .

See This EMP Gun In Action !

https://youtu.be/Q4WzhlJmRD8

This EMP Gun works on the principle of Electromagnetism EMP devices use high voltage generator that will convert 3.7 volt into few thousand volts voltage is further amplified through an passive voltage multipliers then it passed to a electromagnetic coil with the help of spark gap This coil that will produce high frequency electromagnetic pulses. it is possible to increase the range an the output power.with the use of capacitor connected to a coil will increase the power output of an emp. You can see in my demonstration i showed Watch , stopwatch,RFID tag,memory cards nothing got survived .

The Intensity magnetic field created by EMP gun get Induced into the circuitry of this electronic devices which basically induces the voltages all over the circuit. So you will never know what will happen. Either the device memory will reset. or It will permanently damage this device. So be careful. Keep your electronic devices far away !

#How To Make

1.OK friends so start by taking apart your bug zapper racket using your screwdriver ,inside you will find. a high voltage generator circuit.We are going to use this high voltage generator circuit along with the battery.

2. Now take 1 sq mm wire. Make a coil as shown in the picture

3.In my design I removed the output capacitor to limit the output power ! but you can Keep the capacitor as it is.

4. Solder one output wire of coil to High Voltage generator and form of spark gap using other output wire as shown in the picture above. you may need to fix the wire at a distance , Keep in mind that this gap decides output Frequency of your EMP gun closer to wires are higher the frequency will be and vice-versa so you may need to tweak the distance In between them ,I found that to 1 millimeters distance work best for me.

5. OK To make a Handle for EMP Gun I am going to use my old Toy Gun as a handle and Stick all the parts together with bit of a hot glue .

6. I also extended the push button switch so i can use it as a real EMP Gun !
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:09:48 am by Kedar264 »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: DIY EMP Gun
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »
Based on the thumbnail, it doesn't look much worse than ESD, albeit applied to areas rather than points (which makes non-ground-plane type PCBs much more susceptible, and wiring harnesses without protection).

EMP like IEC 61000-4-32 and related types, delivers many orders of magnitude more energy, and pulse length, than a little toy like that; it's kind of unfair to call them the same thing.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:16:49 pm »
It seems almost pointless if you have to be that close to it, alright for testing I suppose lol.

I want one like in the Eraser film!

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:34:43 pm »
It seems almost pointless if you have to be that close to it, alright for testing I suppose lol.

I want one like in the Eraser film!

That was a rail gun  >:(

Also I dont' see how this is really an 'EMP' gun.  surely its more ESD?  In my wasted youth I used to erased chunks of audio tape using a camera flash and a hefty coil.. same deal but there isn't much of a novelty to it, plus it has to be very close.

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 07:30:01 am »
Nice effort, but that's not really an EMP...at least not in the "ka-booom" manner one would expect

An EMP that actually does damage from more than 1 centimeter away would need requires far more energy discharged in a lot less time (nanoseconds, maybe 10's of nanoseconds). An energy like that you can only get if you take a coil (that has an actual core, not an air core coil), of a cylindrical shape, charge it up with lots and lots of energy, then pack some C-4 around the outside of it (about 1 Kilo of C-4 should do it). Then, you generate a controlled detonation: you detonate both ends then progressively start detonating sections until you reach the mid-point of the cylinder. The explosions will compress the magnetic field of the coil in a verry verry short amount of time. At some point, the field will just "explode" outwards, generating a true EMP that can literally fry electronic devices in the vicinity. Easy right?

Now, on a more realistic note, I built myself an induction heater....nothing big...about 2 or 3 kW. Whenever I started the thing up, the field was strong enough to freeze my PC from about 1.5 meters away. A restart would un-freeze it though.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:15:58 am »
This topic rears its ugly head every now and then.

I always wonder if those who want to build EMP devices are vandals or terrorists?

I suppose it's something interesting to experiment with but it's certainly illegal and potentially very dangerous.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 03:30:15 pm »
From the same guy who brough you the cheap USB Killer. I sense an unfortunate theme developing...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-3$-usb-killer-usb-killer-tester/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:32:39 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »
I always wonder if those who want to build EMP devices are vandals or terrorists?

Weapon research engineer? A workable EMP weapon that doesn't use a nuclear explosion is a holy grail for the military.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 06:09:33 pm »
Nothing illegal at all about it.

Surge generators are valuable to test engineers.  As far as I know, there are no laws restricting their availability or use.  (Being test equipment, their price alone probably keeps enough people away. :-DD )

In strong contrast to biological, chemical and mechanical weapons, electrical systems just don't offer enough power density to be a credible threat.

Even rail guns have taken many decades to be realized, on naval ships at that.

The same drawback undermines the realization of practical battery-powered electric vehicles (which are weapons all their own, and regulated to a modest extent -- depending on country).  The power and energy density isn't there.  Which is not to say they're impossible -- we have real, economically viable examples (well, give or take EV and emissions incentives) today -- but they will always be at a disadvantage to fuel-air powered machines.

Lab-scale EMP test systems don't fit in a rackmount box, or even a handful of full-height rack cabinets.  It's more like, the lab itself must be constructed around the pulse system!

AFAIK, the basic design is to discharge a high voltage capacitor into a network; like any other surge generator system.  The network has to be constructed to deliver the desired field strength and waveform, usually to meet a particular standard (such as nuclear EMI, fast or slow type, or explosive-compression or solar storm sources).

The laws of E&M guarantee that, anything you try to generate from an antenna, either requires an impractically massive antenna to produce a directed beam of energy, or requires the target to be very near (or within) the antenna.  (Nuclear weapons have the advantage that, by ionizing a layer in the atmosphere, they drive a current through a wall of plasma, using the atmosphere as the antenna itself.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf