Author Topic: DIY/Alternative fume extractor media  (Read 2455 times)

Offline MephitusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Dashing, no?
DIY/Alternative fume extractor media
« on: July 06, 2015, 02:11:28 pm »
My wife HATES the smell of solder. To remedy this, I have bodged together a box, a couple 120mm PC fans and such. But have run into a problem of figuring out a decent material to use for the filter media. All my searches only show how to repurpose existing filters for other uses, but nothing on creating your own filter media. Mostly I am doing this because I am poor, partially because I am curious if a filter can be put together with free/scavenged materials. Existing ideas include re-using brita water filter activated carbon sandwiched between cotton and bug-netting. If anyone else has some ideas I am open to suggestions.
A true gentleman must be prepared for anything. - Pepe le' Pew

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY/Alternative fume extractor media
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:20:13 pm »

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:31:32 pm »
Filters intended for use in kitchen range hoods are readily available (any hardware store should stock them) and relatively cheap... You can cut them down to any size needed... The better ones have a layer of activated carbon, they should be pretty effective and worth a try...  :popcorn:
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:20:39 pm »
You can buy inexpensive activated carbon filter material (looks like sponge) in large sheets on Ebay from US vendors selling US made material. Cut to fit, put a few layers together if you want thicker material.

I made a filter box (1/4" mdf) with a reasonably quiet PC fan (Newegg etc) and use  large diameter Locline to duct from the work bench soldering area  to the filter box that sits next to a window. I can vary the fan speed (PWM controller) as needed and it does a great job of moving the flux fumes away.

Can't 'smell' the fumes so it appears to function reasonably well.

I posted up my project in a thread on this forum, should be easy enough to find by searching on my user id.

cheers,
george.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:25:55 pm »
You can get the media fairly inexpensively from McMaster as well.  I've had a roll sitting in my office for a couple of weeks for just this purpose, one day I'll need to get around to making the filter box.
 http://www.mcmaster.com/#carbon-air-filters/

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:21:45 pm »
Large inexpensive sheets of activated carbon filter media are available at aquarium supply stores.  I bought a pack of two sheets each roughly 45 x 30 cm by 1 cm thick for around $6 CDN.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf