Author Topic: Do multimeters measure ACA  (Read 1556 times)

Offline browntTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Do multimeters measure ACA
« on: July 12, 2018, 03:48:19 am »
Hi,

does the average digital multimeter measure AC amps?

thanks

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
Re: Do multimeters measure ACA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:55:31 am »
I'll say yes, but you have to wire them in-circuit. That makes them completely impractical for mains type work, where a clamp-on would be far better.

Offline browntTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 04:05:19 am »
I see. what about analog meters, are they typically capable of measuring AC amps?

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:14:35 am »
All analog meters measure ac amps, as the thing that moves the needle is current driven. If they have a sport of proves to choose from or always have a series resistor that doesn't let you do any practical measurement for current I don't know, haven't seen any other than special functions meter where the needle shows a very specific variable.

Now, you shouldn't measure amps with a cheapo meter in a high energy setup as it can blow, that's for any meter, analog or digital.

There's a small cheap cool clamp that does dc current with a very low range, i think it is a uni-t, my experience with the band isn't great but if you are after the functions it has its kind of hard to beat...

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:59:07 am »
Some of the very cheap meter do not measure ACA - these usually also miss a low ranges for AC voltage. With analog meters (without power supply) the rectifier for low AC voltages is difficult and not very accurate. They usually had a 2 nd slightly nonlinear scale for AC.

Especially the pocket size meters sometimes do no offer current measurement at all.

Not having a current range or not having ACA an the cheap meters can also be good, as it means you are not temped to use is with mains current.

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 01:17:28 pm »
Some of the very cheap meter do not measure ACA - these usually also miss a low ranges for AC voltage. With analog meters (without power supply) the rectifier for low AC voltages is difficult and not very accurate. They usually had a 2 nd slightly nonlinear scale for AC.

Especially the pocket size meters sometimes do no offer current measurement at all.

Not having a current range or not having ACA an the cheap meters can also be good, as it means you are not temped to use is with mains current.
They could used a dual coil ac meter, they do work for DC and don't need rectifiers, but it's also true that they not always do that...

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 01:39:16 pm »

Amen! Get yourself an AC clamp.
So I also recommend that is is far better to use a clamp meter.

The nice fact is that the clamp can be also used with a digital scope (with the banana to BNC adaptor) and actually see the current waveform.
In the scope, you can display simultaneously peak, RMS, average, and many other measurements that are impossible to make with a simple meter.

Besides, many AC appliances will draw an inrush current which is several times its rated current. That inrush could only last a semicycle like an electronic load without inrush limiting, or could last several seconds like a motor starting under heavy load. Inrush current cause all sorts of problems, and the scope will faithfully capture it.

An added bonus is if the clamp is the hall effect type, you'll also be able to read DC current safely.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf