Author Topic: Does anyone understand the failure mechanism of magsafe type power connectors?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Magsafe is a proprietary electrical connector popularised on Mac computers and according to wikipedia derived from the magnetic breakaway connectors used on fat fryers in Japan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe
It uses a series of pogo pins with a magnet to hold the two connector halves together. To make the connector reversible it has two power pins surrounded by two ground pins. There's a signal pin in the middle which is used to drive the LED indicator. There are only two wires in the actual cable that runs to the power supply. 

Over a period of years or months the plug gets progressively hotter while charging, presumably because of increased electrical resistance. Visible charring only appears on the two outer ground connectors. The two inner power connectors look fine. I've seen this problem twice with the same characteristic burn marks only on the ground connectors. Does anyone know why this is so?

Online abyrvalg

• Frequent Contributor
This is a pure speculation, but: I suspect a spring inside one of the gnd pogos is weared and broken resulting in two things: 1.higher resistance through this pin (so higher temp), 2. higher current through the other gnd pin (so higher temp there too)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
AFAIK it's usually dust and gunk that starts it, if you keep the contacts clean the problems disappear

IIRC... :-//  I use contact cleaner lubricant on those connectors, it cleans and lubes the springy Magsafe contacts so they don't seize up 

The crappy Magsafe cables on Macs are another 'failure' story...  |O

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:08:26 am by Electro Detective »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Seen this numerous times before. The connector is NOT durable at all. It can get hot enough to melt the plastic in the connector.

I suspect it's oxidation or change over time in the properties of the metal leading to increased resistance and power dissipation. At some point, no amount of decrudding improves it so it's IO board swap and new charger time.

I actually had one circa 2008 MBP where the left IO board was badly burned from the heat transfer through the connector. I think that was coffee related though because it smelled funny.

Charger cable strain releif. Now that's a turd. They should have reserved the name Firewire for the chargers.

• Super Contributor

hmmm, sounds like a few members here have had to deal with Mac-kered adapters  :--

practical innovative gadgets, engineered to last for...just before the next Mac model release?  ;D

IMHO, Magsafe is THE way to go for portable devices, if manufactured properly, with beefed up pins and better lubed springs

But that's not going to happen any time soon    ::)

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
When you disconnect one of these, you are more likely to unplug it off to a side than straight out. Equally if there is the offset mass of the cable one end will not be perfectly centered on its mating surface, heating up and oxidising faster.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
IMHO, Magsafe is THE way to go for portable devices, if manufactured properly, with beefed up pins and better lubed springs

Lenovo's answer is better. When you fall over the cable and the machine hits the floor it still works. That covers all cases of "I dropped it", not just the "I fell over the cable" vector of death.

Like when I fell asleep with my absolutely stacked top end 15" rMBP on my lap and cost me a pretty penny for a new lid/screen assembly  :palm:

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
When you disconnect one of these, you are more likely to unplug it off to a side than straight out.

I just sat here and tested how I unplug mine, I grab it and pivot it along its horizontal axis slightly as I pull it away. This makes them all disconnect at roughly the same time and very easily. Unplugging it off to one side or the other isn't actually very easy as they sit slightly recessed and it actually takes quite a bit of pressure to make it pull away in this manner. Maybe if people just pick up their laptop and walk away and rely on the Magsafe to just break away as the cable goes tight then this might happen, but not when taking it out how it is intended to come out.

Looking at the connectors on mine now, there is zero visible oxidisation and it all stays pretty cool. I've not actually had any Magsafe connectors exhibit any issues. Maybe some of the issues are on chargers bought from very cheap eBay sellers and maybe they aren't up to the required quality? I'm not saying there haven't been issues with genuine Apple ones too of course.

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
I can only work off the images shown,

Being negative it could suffer from electroplating of undesired metal ions from water vapour, but the way it goes out in a ring seems odd.

The other part why i think mechanical / blackening is how messed up the surfaces are on the cups of those 2 outer pins, That level of pitting to me would be from poor contact

As its so much pressure to insert, can the connection be partially made if not careful (Never owned a magsafe charger)

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
As its so much pressure to insert, can the connection be partially made if not careful (Never owned a magsafe charger)

Certainly in the case of mine there is zero pressure to insert, it's not an interference fit, and can you bring it close and the magnet pulls it into place easily. I can see how if it were somehow being prevented from going in smoothly then you may be right and it may not make a good contact. Maybe damage to the connector or spillages etc causing a build up of gunk on it may be a factor, or cheap clone chargers which have different tolerances than required affecting the mechanical fit?
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

• Frequent Contributor
This is a pure speculation, but: I suspect a spring inside one of the gnd pogos is weared and broken resulting in two things: 1.higher resistance through this pin (so higher temp), 2. higher current through the other gnd pin (so higher temp there too)

That sounds plausible. I've replaced both connectors just in case the damage on one has been causing damage to the other.

• Frequent Contributor

hmmm, sounds like a few members here have had to deal with Mac-kered adapters  :--

practical innovative gadgets, engineered to last for...just before the next Mac model release?  ;D

But that's not going to happen any time soon    ::)

Has anyone done it right? There don't seem to be many examples of pogo pin type connectors that have stood the test of time.
Is a wiped contact the only way to go?

All the stuff I do is iterative so I'm forever making and breaking connections. The idea of a multi-pole snap together connector would be awesome for joining modules, providing that the reliability is there.       

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
It is a basic design flaw.  The contacts are shaped such that one side is cupped to trap gunk.  The contacts do not slide against each other to slough off gunk. The contacts are quite small for the amount of current they need to carry considering they are not protected in any way. 
If you look at contacts that last like a relay, both sides are convex and slide across each other a little as the contact is made.  Many relays are within a capsule of some sort to keep dust and dirt to a minimum.
Other plug and socket power connectors usually slide across the contact surfaces as they are inserted and removed.
Apple has a long history of eschewing ruggedness and reliability for more marketable aesthetics such as thin and light weight.  It is the price paid for belonging to the apple community which has a long history of not complaining enough about defective engineering.   

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
I think there's a luck element. Mine is still going strong after 7 years, and i haven't been too careful about alignment or cleaning. I haven't applied any grease.

The cable is doing OK because I'm really careful when I store it.  Those fold-out white ears you can allegedly wrap the cable around are worse than useless in my book.

I wish Apple would select a slightly more durable cable jacket and really up their strain relief game.

• Super Contributor
FWIW I've come across a lot of them, own a few rescued ones myself, and the brushoff, clean, lube and working the pins up and down method  -usually-  sorts them out electrically

Even if they look ok and functional, I do it anyway, perhaps that's why some of my batteries last ages, even if tired to begin with     :-//

Sometimes there's an intermittent hidden short in the cable somewhere, which I assume would assist in a few problems and heat at the connector ends
I usually feel for bumps or soft spots along the al dente spaghetti grade cable to try track down the 'not so sweet'  spot  |O

I'll have to rig up some some sort of interface 'one day'   ( :horse: ) so I can use a multimeter at the end to make the task easier rather than just using The Force   ;D

BTW folks, I'm referring to the real deal Apple Magsafe adapter/chargers,
if it's a OHL Apple knockoff I don't bother  :scared:   and order/recommend an original replacement

If there's a knockoff out there I'm unaware of that's better quality, please don't be shy to comment below  :clap:

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Sometimes there's an intermittent hidden short in the cable somewhere, which I assume would assist in a few problems and heat at the connector ends
Yes, they can readily develop shorts because there is only one layer of material between the inner and outer conductors. A common, dirt cheap "zip-cord" lamp wire is better protected from short circuits.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
Lenovo's answer is better. When you fall over the cable and the machine hits the floor it still works.

Yea, but now you have a broken floor and an intact laptop.  ;D

• Super Contributor
Lenovo's answer is better. When you fall over the cable and the machine hits the floor it still works.

Yea, but now you have a broken floor and an intact laptop.  ;D

...and wheel and deal with the 'not too impressed'  :o :rant:  floor loving partner   :scared:

Offline David Chamberlain

• Regular Contributor
Past macbook owner here. Same thing for me. One of the power pins got gunked up, made bad contact and proceeded to melt itself.

Ill admit i never bothered to check it for two years but then why should I? The non tech savvy consumer sure as hell won't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf