Author Topic: Does Chinese HDMI to MIPI DSI converter work for Samsung galaxy S6 screen?  (Read 10546 times)

Offline nimidoTopic starter

Hi,
First of all I should state that I red this topic (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/(help)-hdmi-2-0-to-mipi-dsi-lvds/) but since english is  not my birth language, I got lost with all the technicals stuffs.
So yes, the question is basically on the title. Does Chinese HDMI to MIPI DSI converter work for Samsung galaxy S6 screen? I keep seeing those board on chinese site ( for instance https://french.alibaba.com/product-detail/6-inch-2k-1440p-1440-2560-resolution-ips-panel-mipi-dsi-interface-lcd-display-with-hdmi-to-mipi-for-vr-2016-and-hmd-diy-tf60010a-60533399990.html) and I wonder if they do the same job like the famous hackaday MIPI DSI Display Shield/HDMI Adapter (https://hackaday.io/project/364-mipi-dsi-display-shieldhdmi-adapter) but for a 2560×1440 resolution.

Regarding  this topic (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/(help)-hdmi-2-0-to-mipi-dsi-lvds/) I can't tell if the issue has been figured out or not and how. Can somebody help me. It's for  a 3d printer project...

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:15:29 pm by nimido »

Offline daveshah

• Supporter
    • Projects
Re: Does Chinese HDMI to MIPI DSI converter work for Samsung galaxy S6 screen?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »
Potentially, but you'll need to configure the driver to send the correct setup commands for the display - looking at the DTSI files in the kernel source for the device will help. These will also contain timings for the display.

I suspect the kernel drivers configure the display into DSI Command Mode which the display adapters may or may not support; if they do that's fine, if not you'll have to work out how to configure the display into DSI Video Mode.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:34:42 pm »
It probably doesn't work.
I have used Samsung AMOLEDs in a project. They use MIPI DSI command mode and need a display specific initialisation sequence, so a generic HDMI to MIPI DSI converter won't work.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:37:34 pm by bktemp »

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
What was that project and how did you find the sequence?
Can you point me toward a specific converter?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:57:41 pm by nimido »

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »
I doubt there are any converters available supporting recent Samsung AMOLEDs, because they don't publish any information about their AMOLED screens.
Unless somebody reverse engineered that specific display, it is next to impossible to drive those displays.

Offline daveshah

• Supporter
    • Projects
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »
This kernel patch references the same display driver IC - and similar panel, 5.7" so presumably a Note - running in DSI video mode and should contain the needed config. I'm not sure how you'd program the init sequence into the converter board though.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/5714111/

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:42:24 pm »
Did any of you guys red the post I refering to in the first message. What are your takes on it?
At some point it was mentioned a development board (Snapdragon) that could be used as a bridge to the screen. Does the galaxy S6 have a similar dev board?
Daveshah you took part to the conversation, any ideas?
i should also mention that I'm not tech smart so try to keep it simple pretty please...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:13:17 pm by nimido »

Offline daveshah

• Supporter
    • Projects
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 05:10:18 pm »
Did any of you guys red the post I refering to in the first message. What are your takes on it?
At some point it was mentioned a development board (Snapdragon) that could be used as a bridge to the screen. Does the galaxy S6 has a similar dev board?
Daveshah you take part to the conversation, any ideas?
i should also mention that I'm not tech smart so try to keep it simple pretty please...

Pretty much any dev board, including the Snapdragon one, with at least 2 DSI interfaces, could drive that LCD. You'd need a suitable adapter board for it, to connect it to the LCD interface on the development board. The hard parts will be finding the pinout - look for leaked service manuals - and finding a suitable connector - look for phone replacement parts. You'll probably also need to build a suitable power supply, AMOLEDs need some odd voltages. The voltages might be in the service manual, if you can find one, or otherwise you might have to measure a working phone...

The driver card you linked to might also work. You'd have the same problem with building a suitable adapter board for the panel, unless you can find one - Taobao might be worth checking. In both cases you'll also need to set up the initialisation commands and timing parameters correctly; the best source is Linux kernel drivers such as the patch I linked to.

If you're completely new to electronics and low-level software development, I'm afraid this might not be the best first project. Using the driver board and a supported panel would be a lot easier.

Offline neptvno

Hello. I stumble upon this github project https://github.com/cyrozap/HDMI-to-MIPI , which uses the Toshiba tc358870xbg which can drive up to 4k@30fps, what if instead of hdmi(tc358870xbg) uses edp the Toshiba tc358860xbg?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:46:55 pm by neptvno »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf