Author Topic: Don't buy <5AUD LCR-T4's at the moment: receiving plastic cases  (Read 3592 times)

Offline WhalesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
I bought one of the cheap ATMEGA LCR transistor testers off eBay more than a month ago.  There's several threads about these devices on the forum.

Only 4 AUD!  Ended up being too good to be true.  I received only this:

A case for an LCR-T4.

The item description on eBay never specified a case.  It only showed pictures of an actual LCR-T4 unit and the description is for the real item.  When I asked for a return eBay immediately refunded me -- I wasn't even given the option of asking for a resend.  I guess eBay has finally worked out that many sellers completely ignore your message and resend the wrong item again if you try xD

"It might only be a problem with one seller".  So I bought two more from two different sellers.

Guess what arrived.

Yep. 

Different international packaging.  Same wrong item.  And of course neither package has any information I can use to work out which eBay seller is which.

Theory

Each case is in a resealable bag with an identical "SeeBee" sticker on it.  I suspect that someone (SeeBee?) has sold these cases to the sellers with the wrong information (pre-made ebay description?) attached.  The sellers have probably copied and used this template directly, without even looking at the items.  The bags do say "LCR-T4" after all.

I've now bought an LCR-T4 for 15 AUD.  Let's hope a real one arrives.  If I get another SeeBee bag....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:15:35 am by Whales »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Don't buy <5AUD LCR-T4's at the moment: receiving plastic cases
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 04:21:43 am »
The actual units go for about $10 US. I've ordered one some time ago from a random seller and got the actual board.

It also looks like majority of listings for LCR-T4 include selection menu listing the unit and the case separately. Check your selection.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:24:18 am by ataradov »
Alex

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:34:35 am »
Thanks ataradov.

These ones didn't have a drop-down menu.  Their descriptions don't contain the word 'case' either.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:38:48 am »
Oh, wow, it’s yet another “I bought a cheap-ass thing on eBay, and yes, it’s too good to be true!” thread.

:palm:

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:41:22 am »
Oh, wow, it’s yet another “I bought a cheap-ass thing on eBay, and yes, it’s too good to be true!” thread.

These are cheap items.  No-one has the ability to know what the price is "supposed" to be until they succeed in buying one.  Paying more doesn't necessarily mean you get what you want.

If you don't like these threads then ignore them.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:46:26 am »

These are cheap items.  No-one has the ability to know what the price is "supposed" to be until they succeed in buying one.  Paying more doesn't necessarily mean you get what you want.

If you don't like these threads then ignore them.

I suppose my point is that you actually expected to get something worth your time? I mean, let’s see, the same shit, even the same description and photo, offered by multiple Chinese sellers doesn’t raise any red flags? Giving these gonifs any money at all only encourages them.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 04:47:48 am »
You are not really giving the money, just ask for a refund. The item is clearly not as described.

The listings are probably just errors, I really see no upside for the seller there. There are better ways to scam on eBay.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:27 am »
You are not really giving the money, just ask for a refund. The item is clearly not as described.

The listings are probably just errors, I really see no upside for the seller there. There are better ways to scam on eBay.

Yep, they didn't keep the money.  eBay immediately refunded all three to me without even consulting the sellers -- this seems to be a new policy.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 06:07:54 am »
So just buy from Aliexpress, where there are hundreds of feedback for the item, and some american billionaire doesn take 10% cut.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, splin

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 09:25:00 am »
Occasional problem with buying items from china, and not limited to ebay either.
See the sellers don't actually have the item, they just use an online database of items for sale at Shenzhen Markets, if the item listing is wrong, so is the item the buyer gets.

What's funny, is that sticker with the references to seebee.cc which is a women's clothing shop. Someone screwed up on multiple levels here.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
What's funny, is that sticker with the references to seebee.cc which is a women's clothing shop. Someone screwed up on multiple levels here.
When I buy stuff from eBay, I often go to see what other items seller has for sale. It does not surprise me a tall to see the same seller having electronic pars and shoes for sale. That's just how they operate.
Alex

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:43 pm »
When I buy stuff from eBay, I often go to see what other items seller has for sale. It does not surprise me a tall to see the same seller having electronic pars and shoes for sale. That's just how they operate.

OTOH, when I see that I tend to steer clear and look for another seller unless it is something very cheap. It indicates the seller most  likely has zero clue about what they are selling and in case that there is a problem with the goods, good luck ...

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 08:44:22 pm »
OTOH, when I see that I tend to steer clear and look for another seller unless it is something very cheap. It indicates the seller most  likely has zero clue about what they are selling and in case that there is a problem with the goods, good luck ...
Never had this problem. And even if something is not right, then just request a refund. Seller's incompetence is not my problem.

Actually, if anything I've got more problems with people only selling technical stuff.

None of them have a clue, since actual sales and shipping are done by cheap laborers anyway.
Alex

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 09:16:18 pm »
I think it's the same seller under various accounts. Different shipping methods do not mean much.

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 11:22:10 pm »
I think it's the same seller under various accounts. Different shipping methods do not mean much.

I've always wondered this, or if instead it's a industry a lot like low-cost franchisees using the same DB.

Do we have anyone on the forum that has been a low-cost eBay seller in China?

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 06:10:34 pm »
Well Franky (aka iloveelectronics) is on the forum (and Dave did an interview with him too). He isn't one of the cheap cheap sellers but I believe he knows the environment well. Maybe he could shine some light on it.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
tackle... google translation for tackle box ( box used to store fishing lures etc ..)

i wouldn't be surprised...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 11:57:31 pm »
Never had this problem. And even if something is not right, then just request a refund. Seller's incompetence is not my problem.

Actually, if anything I've got more problems with people only selling technical stuff.

None of them have a clue, since actual sales and shipping are done by cheap laborers anyway.
Yeah, but this happens IRL, with big vendors. I just had a meeting with a vendor, who had absolute zero technical knowledge about the stuff he wanted to sell me. I really hope he was able to write down my questions and forward it to the right person. Am I supposed to write to the company, and ask them to send competent people?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf