Author Topic: DSO150 Chinese portable oscilloscope  (Read 4555 times)

Offline WimberleytechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DSO150 Chinese portable oscilloscope
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:36:58 pm »
I bought one of these.
https://ebay.to/2HdRUTl

Got for a specific project.  Pretty cute.  Works well enough.

It needs 9v/120mA supply.  I cobbled together a AA battery pack for it.  A little clunky.

Anybody else have one of these?  What are you using for a battery?

The following users thanked this post: lisafig

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
Re: DSO150 Chinese portable oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:07:51 pm »
Don't have one, but found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/diyelectronics/comments/62wlku/liion_power_mod_for_dso150_oscilloscope/

https://jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1153

Cute solution.  I have some of these usb smps in my stockpile of stuff.

I guess I could do a single-stack of AAA batteries (side by side), 3D print a case for them.  That would be fairly slim.  Attach to the back of the DSO. 

Thanks...

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:20:43 pm »
I bought one a couple years ago but mainly for the STM32 + LCD + enclosure. Passable as a barebones tinkering DSO if you're dealing with audio frequencies. Can't really complain too much for the price you pay. For anything else, you'll want to buy a proper scope.

The firmware isn't actually open source even though they've got source available on Github. There is a big binary blob from JYE Tech that handles the actual scope functionality. The Github repo source is mainly interfacing.

They're not joking about the 10V maximum so don't try to feed it anything higher. There is a ICL7660 inside which will go pop if you feed it anything higher than 10.5V.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2831187 if you mostly use the DSO150 on your desk.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:35:06 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 12:26:10 am »
another option for twice the price but 100X the sample rate... battery's built in... the cuteness though is personal taste... fwiw..
https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/DSO168-Handheld-mini-pocket-digital-oscilloscope-20M-bandwidth-100M-sampling/123119301045?hash=item1caa7b71b5:g:8JIAAOSwIIha76hM:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/another-mini-portable-cheap-dso-$40-100msas-$80-200msas/?topicscreen

That IS cute.  I have REAL scopes...three Teks--two digital, one analog.
This was for the scope for an ECG strip recorder I designed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:38:00 am by Wimberleytech »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 12:44:26 am »
another option for twice the price but 100X the sample rate... battery's built in... the cuteness though is personal taste... fwiw..
https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/DSO168-Handheld-mini-pocket-digital-oscilloscope-20M-bandwidth-100M-sampling/123119301045?hash=item1caa7b71b5:g:8JIAAOSwIIha76hM:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/another-mini-portable-cheap-dso-$40-100msas-$80-200msas/?topicscreen

Do you have one?  How buggy is the FW?  It looks very attractive, especially with a 100x divider between the probe and the scope.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 03:53:28 am »
no i dont have one. just to let you people know if you dont yet know ;D i linked german youtube review of it in the linked thread above.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 04:54:08 am »
I have a DSO138, the older brother of the DSO150. It was the device previous to the DSO150 and the firmware / GUI is pretty much the same.

That means that I don't have your exact unit, but hopefully there's some intersection with my experience with the DSO138.

I also have another pocket oscilloscope (SeedStudio's DSO Quad, with the community firmware that adds a bunch of functionality like FFT, protocol analyzing, a plethora of trigger settings, different waveform capture modes, etc) , but it's a hassle to setup to perform even the simpler measurements, so the DSO138 has seen some actual use on my bench, or when I go somewhere else and may need to troubleshoot electronics. It has worked fine for simple tasks, like checking PWM pulses, measuring frequency (within its bandwidth) or verify that there's at least signal present on a wire. For some low-frequency work (audio, IR communication, Servo PWM, etc) is more than adequate. It's obviously not a professional instrument but doesn't need to be. I like that the DSO138 is portable (and the DSO150 is even smaller), battery powered (floating, yay), and it doesn't take much time to setup and use. I also enjoyed soldering and assembling the unit myself (the main reason I bought it, to be fair).

The DSO138 has two problems though:
  • Clunky purely button-based UI. Setting the trigger level and moving the signal around is not a joy when you have to repeatedly press those small stiff buttons (especially if you use the acrylic case, which is cute and convenient, but man-does-it-have-awful-buttons). This was solved on the DSO150 with that nice adjustment knob.
  • Lousy GND level: sometimes the signal on the display will show a DC offset that is just not there. After fiddling with some of the input settings (vertical scale and multiplier, signal coupling, vertical position, etc) you may notice that the signal "shifted" vertically and is no longer properly referenced to GND level. Fixing this is a 3-step GND re-alignment process that quickly becomes tedious. This is a bit annoying, and as far as I know is a firmware issue. Can't say if they fixed this on the DSO150, but I hope they did.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 05:49:04 am »
I also built the DSO150, and did the lipo mod as described in the JYETech forum.  I have found it to be very useful.  For example, today I was working on an Arduino project which involves reducing the system clock to 1 MHz to save power, while still maintaining a millis-like interrupt every 2ms.  I had it toggle a digital pin on each interrupt, and displayed that pin on the scope, including the frequency readout.  That showed me it was working properly, but that the correct overflow value for timer0 was 249, not 250.

And the fact that with the mod it's battery-powered means I don't have to worry so much about Dave's video on how not to destroy your scope. 

But there are a lot of 150 knockoffs around, and while they work ok, you can't upgrade firmware on them.  Banggood is a known good source of genuine stock, at a very reasonable price.  They also have cheap "real" scope probe to replace the alligator clip probe that comes with the 150, plus the charger and boost regulator modules for the mod.

However, it must be a year ago now that JYE mentioned in the forum that they were working on a two-channel model of the 150.  If that's anywhere near happening, it might be worth wating for, assuming the price is right.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf