Author Topic: Dumb question about PCB surface finishes  (Read 1157 times)

Offline DenzilPenberthyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Dumb question about PCB surface finishes
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:41:14 pm »
This seems like a really beginner level question but I cant find an obvious answer...

Typical PCB surface finishes like ENIG, Immersion silver, Electrolytic Ni/Au etc etc... are they usually applied to the whole board before solder resist is applied or are they applied to just the pads after solder resist.  So are the traces under the solder resist always bare copper or would they have the Ni/Au/Ag/whatever on them?

I'm dealing with an issue related to high frequency boards which need to be gold wire-bondable so I'm wondering about the pros and cons of having nickel all over the place...

Maybe there is no 'usual' and some will plate before solder resist, and some after?

Cheers!

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
Re: Dumb question about PCB surface finishes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:48:57 pm »
Just pads, after solder resist.

In the past (80's and before), sometimes HASL tinning was applied before the soldermask, but this often resulted in cracked soldermask either due to uneven tinning to begin with, or during wave solder when the tin layer melted below the soldermask.

ENIG, on the other hand, is quite expensive, so pads only makes more sense anyway.

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:02:03 pm »
Yeah, there is a process called SMOBC, Solder Mask Over Bare Copper. You'll find that under the mask it's just bare copper.

And as for "high frequency", as usual, one man's "high frequency" is another man's rounding error. What frequency? You'll find that the foil roughness UNDERNEATH can be more of a problem than the surface finish.

See:

https://www.rogerscorp.com/documents/749/acs/Copper-Foils-for-High-Frequency-Circuit-Materials.pdf

Offline DenzilPenberthyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:48:52 pm »
Thanks!  In the grand scheme of things, not very high. Up to 1GHz probably.  I think the compatibility with the gold wire bonds is going to be our main thing to consider.

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:56:56 pm »
Thanks!  In the grand scheme of things, not very high. Up to 1GHz probably.  I think the compatibility with the gold wire bonds is going to be our main thing to consider.

Like I said: DC.  ;D

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 11:42:29 pm »

Like I said: DC.  ;D
For me it's µwaves  :scared:

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf