Author Topic: Exhaust pipes engine sound in electric car based on Arrinera Hussarya supercar  (Read 16230 times)

Offline eneuroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hello,
looking for hints howto implement Arrinera Hussarya Polish supercar engine sound from exhaust pipes using elctronic components- with low frequency sound I guess- to enhance electric car security, makeing it a little bit more noisy to be able to hear such electric vehicle and avoid accidents, while people will not be able notice such quiet vehicle, so need some cool engine sound music  :-DD

I've found decent engine sound in this video and my plan is to use spectrum analyser and find sound harmonics, translate it to electronic music and than make some circuit, maybe with help of using real DIY custom made exhaust pipes but with speakers inside to be able output some sound similar to this, but from HPEV  >:D

I'm not a musician, so will probably have to quickly learn electronic music basis and try create such engine sounds  ;)

I can only reveal for the moment, that my HPEV design is based on this Peugeot EX1 concept, so such engine sounds will match its futuristic view  :-/O
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:48:30 am by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
No no no. It needs to make the sound the Jetsons car makes. That's far more appropriate!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
a three weeler ? are you serious ? the bloody thing doesn't even have a windshield...
why can't you make it look like a normal car ?
why do all these alternative energy vehicles have to be either butt ugly (honda insight, prius 1 , miev ) , completely impractical (like the bmw i8 where there is only enough room for 1 umbrella... )or performance/range impaired (or the leaf that can't even take me to the airport and back without requiring a6 hour charge.. put some batteries in that thing. or the mIev : should i get out and help you push it forward ...) so that they become total and utterly useless.

i wantan electrical car that is form, fit and functionally the same as a 'regular' gasoline car. same range, same look , same performance , same or more storage space.  That is where the money is.

and as for noise. i want an EV to be totally silent. it should be law that cars, and especially those badly tuned noisepipe motorcycles , cannot produce more than a certian level of noise. bloody obnoxius harley motorcycles. put a muffler on that pipe. and tune that engine so it doesn't sit there rambling and couging at the traffic lights. it;s 2015. it is perfectly possible tomake an engine that runs smooth and with minimal noise.  look at BMW and Honda motor cycles like the goldwing. they are virtually silent and produce almost no vibration.

flame on.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:31:07 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
Electric airplane guys have gadgets that play engine sound, coupled to motor speed control. There was a 4' Black Wolf RC model flying, using one of my 10W amplifiers to produce the sound from the gas turbine engine. Sorry, can't find any links now...
my2C
Jan

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Agree on the wannabe hells angels with the noisy overpriced chrome piles. They roar around, yet all they are are streetside posers.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
Something a bit like the SoundRacer then?  Obviously it would need to be modified a little for an EV since it picks up engine speed from the alternator ripple in a conventional car.

Offline Johndi

• Contributor
a three weeler ? are you serious ? the bloody thing doesn't even have a windshield...
why do all these alternative energy vehicles have to be either butt ugly (honda insight, prius 1 , miev ) , completely impractical (like the bmw i8 where there is only enough room for 1 umbrella... )or performance/range impaired (or the leaf that can't even take me to the airport and back without requiring a6 hour charge.. put some batteries in that thing. or the mIev : should i get out and help you push it forward ...) so that they become total and utterly useless.

i wantan electrical car that is form, fit and functionally the same as a 'regular' gasoline car. same range, same look , same performance , same or more storage space.  That is where the money is.

and as for noise. i want an EV to be totally silent. it should be law that cars, and especially those badly tuned noisepipe motorcycles , cannot produce more than a certian level of noise. bloody obnoxius harley motorcycles. put a muffler on that pipe. and tune that engine so it doesn't sit there rambling and couging at the traffic lights. it;s 2015. it is perfectly possible tomake an engine that runs smooth and with minimal noise.  look at BMW and Honda motor cycles like the goldwing. they are virtually silent and produce almost no vibration.

flame on.

In regards to motorcycles, loud pipes save lives, most specifically that of the rider. I'm not a rider, but I know a few, and the tales they have told me in regards to people driving around them not paying attention and almost hitting them have been quite a few.

Further, as a car enthusiast, the sound that a car's exhaust makes as you're driving it contributes equally to the pleasurable driving experience.  The low rumble of an engine combined with a sweet exhaust note that you can hear as well as feel is a beautiful thing  :-+

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage

In regards to motorcycles, loud pipes save lives, most specifically that of the rider. I'm not a rider, but I know a few, and the tales they have told me in regards to people driving around them not paying attention and almost hitting them have been quite a few.

Loud pipes may save lives, but using your brain would save a lot more. Here is my experience from observing lots of motorcycles. I see more than ten a day.
- they overtake cars on the right ! The rule when overtaking another vehicle is you pass it on the left. Overtaking on the right is a no no. In most countries / states that is even the law. I have to see the first motorcycle that passes me on the left.

- they i variably stay inbetween lanes, even if there is abig enough opening to drive in the midddle of a lane where they would be visible in my rear view mirror. As soon as traffic slows down they zip past driving on white line marking the boundary between lanes. That is sheer stupidity. I've seen em accelerate and zoom by, on the right side, of a large bus , while on their right side there is a large van or pickup truck. The guy in front of the van can not see them co ong unless he pull far enough to the left. By that time there is no more reaction time for the biker and a collision will happen.
It is totally irresponsible to do this at 40 miles an hour or more.
If you want to pass by stopped traffic by splitting the lanes it should be done at a speed no more than 5 to 10 miles an hour. But no, they dont even slow down.

That is sheer stupidity.

Note : When i see a biker coming in my rear view mirror , and i am in the far left lane (like i am most of the time as that is the carpool lane) i will swerve further to the left to give them ample room to pass me on the right. courtesy on my sde , in almost all cases replied by the 'v' sign from the biker. I have no problem with bikers, i have aproblem with bikers that do stupid things like the stuff i explained above.   I also have a problem with those bikes that have no muffler , use a stump of sawn off pipe as exhaust and are so loud and deafening they wake me up in the middle of the night racing up and down the highway a mile away. Or standing still at the traffic light going bwababawwaaaawa.... Bhwaawaaaawaa . Why do they have the urge to throttle up and down while standing still ? Is it out of fear the engine will stall ?  If so : that engine needs a tune up !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
No worry, i didn't say my vehicle is the same, because of I do not copy paste things and of course taken into account Lee Noble recomendations for linked above Arrinera Hussarya given to its CEO  ;)
When he joined their team this supercar first concept changed a lot and one of the things was-he told them forget for the moment  cabriolet versions just due to safety issues and they have it in the plans for future versions.

Here we can see, that they even completely changed rear spoiler aeorodynamic breakes and in probably final version showed from my first link is controled by special designed software with help of local university resources.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/arrinera-hussarya-poland-supercar-lee-noble-2012-08-07
…with a little help from Lee Noble

i can reveal that I will have aerodynamic brakes too, but concept is taken from... B2  :popcorn:

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

• Super Contributor
Something a bit like the SoundRacer then? 
Yep, you hit exactly I was thinking about, but didn't realized it is already done, so we'll see if it could be usable but sounds great  :-+

Electric Vehicle Electronic Engine Sound System
http://eveess.com/

Module is described there:
http://eveess.com/evsm-2/
http://eveess.com/evsm-input-signals/

It looks like signal from hall sensor can be taken and this module recognizes voltages above 3V as pulses, so quite easy to integrate and demo from CEBIT 2013 there:

Comparision of EV with Soundracer enabled and than disabled there: SoundRacer EV V8 - EVEESS - Shelby V8 sound

In the middle of this video above we have Zero Emmision EV with engine sounds enabled at parking and it sounds like... V8 engine  >:D

After watching a few sample sounds those F12 sounds in classic ICE car are not so bad, but... they should allow in this sounde module multiply sensed bloody classic car RPM speed sensed from alternator ripple, to be somewhere closer to F12 engine and probably forgot about it  :-DD
SoundRacer V12 Ferrari sound

Anyway, probably custom speakers and amplifier will be needed to adjust sound loud level to external environment, while in quiet places we do not want of course disturb beaty of silence, but ensure someone walking or on a bike can hear electric vehicle because it is what we have in our brains trained in neurons unconscious mind and in stress situations if someone doesn't hear something and can't see it it doesn't exist.

Quoting again from this web site linked above they wrote something like this, so I'm prety sure it is a good way to go and implement such exhaust pipes engine sound subsystem for safety reasons and I was thinking about low frequency sounds, while they are easy to sense whil emany things vibrate at those frequencies  8)
Electric Vehicle Electronic Engine Sound System
http://eveess.com/
Sound for increased safety
The silence of electric vehicles is highly appreciated by most drivers, passengers and people outside the vehicle. But in some situations a warning sound is required in order to increase safety for people in front of the vehicle. SoundRacer EVS is designed to help EV manufacturers meet the upcoming legislation’s for pedestrian warning sound.

In USA, the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) proposed on July 7, 2011 is ”the first major step towards regulations that will protect unsuspecting pedestrians and the visually-impaired from accidents involving hybrid and electric vehicles.”

Sometimes drivers have to think on the road instead of other people to avoid collisions:
"... Protect unsuspecting pedestrians and the visually-impaired from accidents involving hybrid and electric vehicles ..."

Yep, so no question about it, but it should be smart solution and should allow sense environment noise level to adjust output volume, so we need to find a way to sense sound outside vehicle, while inside we might want listen to music and had no idea if someone can hear us on the streat  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:35:15 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Further, as a car enthusiast, the sound that a car's exhaust makes as you're driving it contributes equally to the pleasurable driving experience.  The low rumble of an engine combined with a sweet exhaust note that you can hear as well as feel is a beautiful thing  :-+

Nonsense.

THIS is a sweet exhaust note.

Pistons whacking back and forth sound like crap.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
I was nearly run over by a Tesla at the start of the month. I'd love that to make some noise.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Something a bit like the SoundRacer then?  Obviously it would need to be modified a little for an EV since it picks up engine speed from the alternator ripple in a conventional car.

For the old geezers like me:

https://youtu.be/QWtAYSv0rZU?t=316

LOL
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
The sound is harder than the smell.    Requires some synthesis of the various audio waveforms in proportion to the motion and throttle/brake position, but the smell/aroma simply requires a piece of 1-1/2 inch tubing.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:16:48 am by calexanian »
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
I was nearly run over by a Tesla at the start of the month. I'd love that to make some noise.

Judging from some posts here, Tesla makes too much noise.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
Hello,
looking for hints howto implement Arrinera Hussarya Polish supercar engine sound from exhaust pipes using elctronic components- with low frequency sound I guess- to enhance electric car security, makeing it a little bit more noisy to be able to hear such electric vehicle and avoid accidents, while people will not be able notice such quiet vehicle, so need some cool engine sound music  :-DD

Some car manufacturers are already doing it but for in-cockpit consumption, to enhance the driving experience. Some do it electronically while others do it mechanically.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

// and this $3k option
https://www.cars.com/articles/2012/06/what-does-this-button-do/

Anyway, that Arrinera Hussarya looks beautiful. Looking forward for Chris Harris's test drive video.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:46:15 am by zapta »

• Super Contributor
This is what you need!
Nope, nobody will notice this ;)
I need button like this in wifi enabled tablet for wireless EV control    and both on www control page and on vehicle dashboard, while messing with software during driving might be dangerous and quick reachable buttons with nice green backlight adjustable to external lighting conditions will be fine  :popcorn:
-||-|-

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor

This video illustrates nicely why 3 wheelers are an extremely good idea.

• Super Contributor
Some do it electronically while others do it mechanically.
I think, in this publication Sound Generator for Vehicle Simulation Authors - VTI is decent level of knowledge needed to do spectrum analysis of real engine sound recordings and with help of FFT transorm find engine orders to be able later simulate this engine sound  8)

It was done for realistic vehicle simulators and it makes sense and doesn't look to complicated, while i do not need simulate all vehicle related sounds like noisy gearbox or brakeing-just nice low frequency engine sound and Csound software developed at MIT was used in this paper as example implementation of sound generation.

Anyway, It could be nice create own solution for this specyfic Arrinera Hussarya supercar low RPM engine sound, while no SoundRacer module for this available for the moment, but it has custom engine -I guess -manufactured for their supercar with custom hightech gearbox, so it is interesting to try simulate this specyfic engine sound and I'm not interested in other engines for the moment and gearbox changes of course not needed in EV , so it should be quite easy implement in software with hardware electronic version in mind ;D

Using guidelines from paper linked above making some reserach and taken one channel of stereo sound from this polish supercar.
100ms part of this nice low rpm engine "soundtrack"  below  ;)

Quite clean sound, so probably it is time to take more samples and follow steps described above in this paper, find harmonics, approximate than make this parametric scaled to other engine speed and some noise from TRNG to make each cylinder sound more realistic and lets make improoved custom engine sound generator based on oryginal Arrinera Hussarya supercar and amplify to make confused many local ICE folks which thinks that the more exhaust pipes they have and the more noise they make the more powerfull their engine is  :-DD
If their car windows  will wibrate with Arrinera Hussarya waves, maybe they turn their music to lower more appropriate level  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:10:35 am by eneuro »
-||-|-

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
If you're crossing the road using only your ears to detect cars then I say let Darwin decide.

PS: Did you learn anything from the experience? I'm betting humans can adapt to crossing the road among quiet cars. It just needs all the old curmudgeons to get run over - kill two sources of noise pollution with one stone!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
a three weeler ? are you serious ?
:-//  I counted four wheels.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor

Don't put the single wheel on the wrong side. In the back it should be very stable (unless you are backing up)

• Super Contributor
They made serious mistake and should rather cut... rare part of their cars, remove bloody ICE engine and put batteries as low as possible to lower down center of mass, but of course it was made to to feed mainstream ICE fans with  :bullshit: example of bad vehicle engineering for some fun   :--

Peugeot EX1 is close to three wheeler, but... it doesn't fall from the road, because was designed to drive not for...

Muppet show  :-DD

PEUGEOT EX1 Rekord
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:42:04 am by eneuro »
-||-|-

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf