Author Topic: extract positive voltage to read adc  (Read 1997 times)

Offline electros6Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
extract positive voltage to read adc
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:23:38 pm »
HI guys,
           I have a circuit that using opamp using dual supply +- 5v. I want to read the output of the opamp using adc . since the opamp swings between the positive and negative rail ,please give any idea to built a circuit that allow positive voltage and block negative voltage.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
Re: extract positive voltage to read adc
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:05:12 pm »
Diode....

Or perhaps you'd get a better response if you describe your circuit in more detail, what the opamp is doing, what signal you are processing, etc...  maybe a sketch as well.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline electros6Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:11:39 pm »
I just try to measure the intensity of the light, so I used the photodiode and current to voltage converter and an inverting amplifier and an offset adjusting stage. schematic attached

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:18:02 pm »
"Convert" the +-15 Volts to 0-30Volts by putting your adc measurement circuit ground at -15 instead of 0v. Simple right?

Power the ADC from +15 and -15, this indeed requires some ldo or smps depending on the load. Add an amplifier with gain of 1/5, assuming the ADC is 5V. And you're almost done.
You'll still need anti-aliasing filtering and such necessities with adc's.

Expensive solution would be to get an bipolar ADC with such high voltage inputs. They exist.

Also, nowadays you can get pretty good adc's for a single power rail (eg. mcp600x). I would avoid dual rail unless it is absolutely necessary, and even then I'd create a virtual ground at Vcc/2 using an opamp.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:26:50 pm by Jeroen3 »

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »
Rework the resistors around your opamp to lower the maximum gain and re-centre your output to 0 to 3v3 or 0 to 5v.

https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:44:19 pm »
alternately you could use a differential amplifier and bias the output voltage to half full-scale.

and another thing: if you are expecting an OP-AMP to go rail-to-rail, you /will/ have a bad day. AFAIK there are /no/ op-amps which will go to the rail voltage. they will get close, but not exactly there. Put some overhead in your system if you can.
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:29:54 am »
Yes, you'll have severe non-linearity in the lower and upper 50mV. Same applies to your ADC, so there is no big deal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf