Author Topic: Help with driving 7inch display  (Read 1256 times)

Offline vaualbusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Help with driving 7inch display
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:14 am »
I just wanna asked for a little bit of help,
I have to make a lcd for a project I'm doing at university. The panel I find is either a display that is drivable via spi and is 7inch but it consume a lot of current and the project nead to be low power.
So I find this display from displaytech: http://www.displaytech-us.com/7-inch-ips-tft and I can drive it using LVDS.
No I wanna use a new pic3mz2048 for doing this job and if needed a small fpga/cpld.
Now reading the datasheet of the source driver of the panel I found out that the panel can be controlled either with lvds or with MIPI interface, by swapping resistors.
Now If I use a mipi interface I found that I can use this controller SSD2828, that is controlled via spi and the data is send with an rgb interface.
So If I chose the second method, I need an external memory for storing the frame buffer, so in my code i will write that memory and then at the end of each frame i will send the memory data to the controller.
In that case i better to use an fpga to menage the memory (and generate hsync and vsync) or I can do that with the pic32? Is the pic32 fast enough?
Dispate the second method, how the data is send with LVDS? is there any controller avaible for LVDS? Because I can't figured how the data is send using lvds.
Thanks for the help, Alberto Vaudagna

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help with driving 7inch display
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »
Really no one have any idea?

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:27:57 pm »
Depends on what clock the pic32 runs at, but a modern 32-bit microcontroller like a Cortex M SoC running at 40-70MHz should have zero difficulty generating MIPI for a 1080p panel, even bit banging it.  Don't know about pic32 since I've successfully avoided MIPS for almost ten years now.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:43:20 am »
Ok thanks so basically i need an external sram for frame buffer. Hiw tha need to be big? I would like to gave 24bpp so 8bit x each channel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 08:25:16 am »
Depends on what clock the pic32 runs at, but a modern 32-bit microcontroller like a Cortex M SoC running at 40-70MHz should have zero difficulty generating MIPI for a 1080p panel, even bit banging it.  Don't know about pic32 since I've successfully avoided MIPS for almost ten years now. 45

By the way the pic32mz run at 200mhz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf