Author Topic: Finding an optimal MOSFET for 55 V 60 A BLDC driver (ESC), No Parallelin DRV8323  (Read 1006 times)

Offline satyamfifaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Dear All,

I trying to build an BLDC Driver (ESC) with specification, Voltage is Aprox 48V from a battery so max 55V, Current consumption is about 60A RMS with Field Oriented Control capability, I want to use DRV8323 (source 1A and sink 2A ) (I know it's less but the aim to find the most optimal MOSFET for this gate drive)  According to my previous research:

1. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/60-ampere-bldc-pcb-design-and-routing/

2. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/lost-trying-to-calculate-switching-time-of-power-mosfet/

There are 3 Major factors to consider:

1. Conductive losses: which is mainly dictated by Rds(on) of MOSFET.

2. Switching losses: which is mainly dictated by Qgd of MOSFET, but it can vary depending on fundamental switching frequency.

3. Losses due to avalanche:  Here were it gets more complex, Avalanche can be unpredictable because they happen because of the stray inductance, which is hard to estimate before hand, I understand that avalanche handling capability are mentioned in the datasheet as EAS and EAR. However I thinking wouldn't it better if a MOSFET with the higher break down voltage (80V) is selected which would prevent the MOSFET going in the Avalanche mode in the first place.

Therefore concluding the above three, I think the Infeneon's IPT012N08N5 with Rds(on) of 1.2 milliohm MAX, Qgd of 37 nC (TYP) and 56 nC (MAX) and Breakdown voltage of 80V (MIN), I believe it could this could be a much better MOSFET as it could prevent all three kinds of losses.

I don't understand Infeneon's StrongIRFET avalanche ratings they are designed specifically for handling avalanches in BLDC drives but I don't find their avalanche ratings any better. Therefore maybe someone can be the Devil's advocate for the IPT012N08N5 decision and suggest a even better MOSFET.

Another question: I have never seen a Field Oriented Control capable driver with parallel MOSFETs, I wonder why is that, I understand Field oriented control requires shunt resistors to measure current, maybe someone can shed light on this.

Regards,
Sparsh

Offline satyamfifaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf