Author Topic: Flyback Understanding journey  (Read 1505 times)

Offline AtomTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Flyback Understanding journey
« on: August 20, 2018, 04:48:12 pm »
hello to everyone hope you're doing well.

so i'm diving into the flyback converter from mains for the first time, i have a lot of salvaged ee ferrite cores that are waiting for me, so i thought that flyback topology would be a good start, i'm going to use something like Viper27 ncp1014 or the tinyswitch3 (tny264 and 279)(already on hand) power range of 10-20w.

i've watched this:

https://training.ti.com/understanding-basics-flyback-converter

DCM discontinuous mode
CCM continuos mode

really helpful, i would recommend it to everyone that is starting, so here's the first answer... i have to understand in wich mode those chips works

tny279 ----only DCM? in all graphs there is the ringing in the dead time
ncp1014 ----DCM and CCM is mentioned on the datasheet so it switches between the 2
viper27/26 -----i don't know help :-//

https://www.fujielectric.com/products/semiconductor/model/power_supply/technical/fly-back_transformer_design.html
https://www.fujielectric.com/products/semiconductor/model/power_supply/technical/box/pdf/Fly-Back_transformer_Design_Rev_1_0_E.pdf

i have found those papers from fuji electric in wich they go through the calc for the transformer, they seem very well made (i haven't read them). i wanted to know in which mode those ics works because the first step into the paper is to know the working mode.

if you have other suggestion or similar ics well, i'm all ears...probably i'm going to need help in the other phases of the desing so please help a poor student that wants to know what he's doing and not blindly copying the schematics (i could but i don't want to, PI and ST offer the online calculator with even the schematics and values). those are great tools and i'll use them as reference.

the final project would be :

220vac in
sec1 5v 1A 5w
sec2 170v 50ma 8.5w  -----------~15W
i have a lot of EEcores but i doubt that anything over EE22 would be needed (i have EE19 EE20 EE22 etc), something on the magnetics would be good, cause those are all salvaged cores from stanby rails of pc psu

so if you have any guide or link that you think it would help a newbie understand all this please share it :-+

any kind of help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, all this was written pretty fast and english is not my native language :-DD

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flyback Understanding journey
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:02:26 pm »
so if there is anyone intrested here's the PI and ST soultions, i thought i had to include those.

another question correct me if i'm wrong, the PI software doesn't let me go over 100v for the output maybe because they say that the max open switch time is 65 so the close switch time is 35% now whit an input of 330vdc (220*sqr2)

330 : 100% = x : 35%------------x = 35*330 / 100 = 115V max? :palm:

also why in the st solution they are attaching the aux winding to the 170v dc out winding? is a bug in the software ? or they are powering the chip from the secondary, if select only the 5v  1A output the aux winding seems to be "generated correctly" st solutiuon 2

if i use the viper 27 instead of the 26 the aux winding is where it should be.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:08:54 pm by Atom »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 07:22:37 pm »
You may find it's wiser to start small, say with an isolated 12-12 DC-DC converter using UC3843 or the like.

The UC384x family is simple enough it can also be built from discrete logic (an op-amp, dual comparator, flip-flop and driver), if you like.  (Or about a dozen transistors, if you're really keen on doing it discrete. :P )

Working with high voltages invites obvious safety problems, but also parasitics that you probably aren't expecting, and don't have any understanding of, or experience with.  The notable cases being: excess capacitance (winding self-capacitance, and between windings) causing turn-on surge current and common mode noise; and leakage inductance causing potentially destructive peak voltages.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Atom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:09:38 am »
Hi first of all thanks, secondly do you have any paper that would be useful to me ?

Quite some time ago i had a professor that was quite the practical tipe and we wound a ferrite core transformer, while winding we inclined the turns of the primary on and then the second layer (of the primary)we inclined the wind8ngs in the other direction ...so let's say if you watch them with x ray they are always wound in the same direction (how it should be  :-DD) but they form an X pattern ...he was calling this the bees nest (now i'm traslating from italian)
And i remember he mentioned how whinding in this way tbe capacitance ould be reduced ....is that true or i remember incorrectly?

Bye

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:11:56 am »
Working with high voltages invites obvious safety problems, but also parasitics that you probably aren't expecting, and don't have any understanding of, or experience with.  The notable cases being: excess capacitance (winding self-capacitance, and between windings) causing turn-on surge current and common mode noise; and leakage inductance causing potentially destructive peak voltages.

Tim

I ll look into those thanks.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:53:37 am »
I found this pdf useful in understanding Flyback SMPS I was repairing.

http://micro.rohm.com/en/techweb/knowledge/acdc/acdc_pwm/acdc_pwm01/940/
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

The following users thanked this post: Atom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:55:10 pm »
This is what i was looking for  :-+ thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf