Author Topic: Friday afternoon: how not to wire a drill press  (Read 4232 times)

Offline WhalesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Friday afternoon: how not to wire a drill press
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:24:07 am »
Very, very subtle.

This is the bottom end of the AC induction motor from my drill press.  Taken off from the area shown is a centrifugal switch that depresses the metal ring in the centre when the drill is not up to speed, presumably to limit inrush current.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:28:53 am by Whales »

Offline SteveH

• Contributor
Re: Friday afternoon: how not to wire a drill press
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:01:58 am »
Whats subtle about it? The centrifugal switch takes the start windings out of circuit when the rotor is up to speed.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »
Subtle is the one lug resting against the frame, so either GFI trips, or the circuit breaker trip when you plug it in.  One will be a tad more exciting than the other.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 06:22:17 pm »
Or morre common is the frame is not grounded........

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:32:39 am »
Subtle is the one lug resting against the frame, so either GFI trips, or the circuit breaker trip when you plug it in.  One will be a tad more exciting than the other.

Got it :)  My earth detection and resettable fuse both tripped, but not fast enough to avoid a lightshow.  The spade connector has a tiny, clean nick out of the side of it now, but is otherwise OK and the drill sustained no other damage.

I made sure the body was earthed and the wiring was otherwise the right way around.  It's interesting to note that it's grounded in two places: on the motor and at the switch on the main body.

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:00:54 am »
I thought it was a ground and the little bit of metal on it was a contact going to the shaft so you wouldn't have to go through the bearings.  Hey it even has a little green dot...
Pretty bad!  Is the crimp on the other fork as bad as it looks?

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 01:21:06 am »
I thought it was a ground and the little bit of metal on it was a contact going to the shaft so you wouldn't have to go through the bearings.  Hey it even has a little green dot...
That green dot was a polarisation marking from when I pulled it apart, not knowing whether or not it was needed.  I might stick to black permanent markers from now on.

Pretty bad!  Is the crimp on the other fork as bad as it looks?
I'm assuming you're commenting on the very tight bend of the copper just as it leaves the crimp (I'm no crimping expert :P )  Yes they're both like that, but this part of the motor is stationary so it should not be too bad. 

I've just had to regut the motor again twice.  The first time because I scraped too much dirty grease out of the bearings without replacing it and the second because I had 'parts left over'.  It's all working well now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf