Author Topic: Getting bad signals from thermocouple. Any suggestions?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline diegoterc3Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Getting bad signals from thermocouple. Any suggestions?
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:29:12 am »
Hello I am getting weird temperature results from my thermocouple. I am designing a new circuit with a MAX6675 and a PIC18F4550 on a breadboard. At first at room temperature I get 33 or 34°C. Exactly the same as my multimeter. Then I put the thermocouple on a hot environment and I get 150°C from the circuit and 250°C from the multimeter probe. Is this because of the breadboard? I know that when some metals interact it could cause a different seebek coefficient and mess with my meassurements but is it enough? Also I have attached the thermocouple to a metal surface with a nut since the sensor came with a threaded screw. Anyone got eny ideas?

Than kyou in advance.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Re: Getting bad signals from thermocouple. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:15:03 am »
Post a photo of your thermocouple connection and MAX, then we can see if it's good enough.
As fail-check you can just attach thermocouple wires directly to MAX6675 pins, and if problem resolved, you know it's the board ;)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline KM4FER

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:25:30 pm »
Just like the "Is the unit plugged in" question in this case one has to ask "Are you sure you have a type K thermocouple?"  Any other type will give you erroneous readings such as you describe.

I doubt this is your problem but I run type K thermocouples up to 1200C which is near their limit and as they age due to oxidation of the junction the readings will start to decrease.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:29:09 pm »
Thermal voltages (EMF) only occur with a temperature gradient. Unless you got some really, really nasty combination of some metals on your breadboard the small temperature differences will only account for a small difference in measured temperature, but not something like 80 % off. So my guess would be wrong thermocouple, too.

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:35 pm »
I had a similar problem at the beginning of the year.

Thought I blew the chips up but it turns out putting a 10n x7r 0603 cap across the inputs sorted it.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:21:04 pm »
Cheapest thermocouple from eBay? Have seen some useless junk and also have sen k-type thermocouples made of n- type material!

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 04:03:02 pm »
I have had similar results with a damaged thermocouple - the wires were touching at multiple points.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 04:25:14 pm »
i have used the max6675 before on a three channel datalogger, i have seen issues if there is an electrical connection through a non-insulated probe to the thing your measuring. Try using a probe that is electrically insulated

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 04:40:18 pm »
Likely you either have thermocouple type other than K or ordered your MAX6675 from ebay or other dodgy place.

Offline charlespax

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Instruments
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:35:15 am »
It could be a crappy weld on the thermocouple tip. If that has high resistance, you would see a lower than normal temperature.

As Neilm suggests, your wires could be touching somewhere else. With thermocouples you are measuring the temperature where the two wire touch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf