Author Topic: Glitter bomb  (Read 11642 times)

Offline texaspyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Glitter bomb
« on: December 18, 2018, 01:57:29 pm »
It's not mine, but way cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo&amp=&frags=pl%2Cwn

(Mine would use continuous CN+dye tear gas spray instead of pulsed fart spray).

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah, s8548a

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Glitter bomb
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 03:57:27 pm »
i would throw a brick at their car

Offline hlavac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:58:44 pm »
Mine would spray gasoline. Then light a match :)
Good enough is the enemy of the best.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 04:00:21 pm »
they can probably sue for getting glitter in their eyes or some stupid shit if its all on video

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 04:06:57 pm »
I will say though its absolutely fascinating to see the map of how they used the parking garage as some kind of rendezvous point. I always wondered how these types of criminals operate.

I wonder why they go there, its probably a ring that uses that location to swap packages?

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 04:18:38 pm »
Yes, quite an amazing project. It is making me jealous.

Because their faces seem to be blurred out, it may not be so easy for them to prove they were the ones in the video. So suing is not so easy.

On the other hand, it could be worrying that angry thieves/criminals, who might remember where the package was stolen from, might get their revenge.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:20:42 pm by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:19:36 pm »
They are lucky its not me...  Mine would spray a highly florescent dye , Rhodamine 6G, used in liquid based laser systems. The car interior would be ruined, their clothes would be ruined, their shoes  and their skin would be a bright pink for say four days. Under any green light source they and their stuff would glow at 575 nanometers,  200 mL of water and less then 50 mg of the dye would do all this.  Heck, the stuff stains concrete and tile, too.  Common Jokes at laser conferences,  What color is your jeans?  What color is your floor?  Have you ever been caught red handed working on a Laser?

Glitter often is made of tiny glass squares, I would not want it in my eyes.

I will give it an A+ as a design project. Needs a tracking transmitter, if it does not have one.

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, BrianHG

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 04:27:19 pm »
Yes, quite an amazing project. It is making me jealous.

Because their faces seem to be blurred out, it may not be so easy for them to prove they were the ones in the video. So suing is not so easy.

On the other hand, it could be worrying that angry thieves/criminals, who might remember where the package was stolen from, might get their revenge.

its a good idea not to post picture of booby traps effecting criminals on youtube so the faces are blurred to make sure there is no real legal evidence in case its someone that can stand being in a court lying all day to try to make you miserable

what these types of low level thugs do for revenge most of the time from when i heard people messing with hoods and stuff drinking on the street causing problems is they follow you home and break a window at night or something like that. its usually small but annoying.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:29:59 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 06:00:50 pm »
what these types of low level thugs do for revenge most of the time from when i heard people messing with hoods and stuff drinking on the street causing problems is they follow you home and break a window at night or something like that. its usually small but annoying.

That would be a very BAD idea.  :)

If they did that, breaking the window would probably activate the MK2 version of this device. The (MK2) drone would activate, and rapidly fly out of the window, and its AI system would follow the crook/bad person home.
It would then following them inside, and wreak horrible revenge, on a similar, but somewhat worse, than the MK1's capabilities.

Apparently, the ex-NASA inventor, has had a future planning meeting, and decided to continue this up to the fourteenth generation.

AKA, the MK14 unit.

Which is not only rumored to have AI so good, that it can even go online and any forums which mention about the MK1, it can participate in the discussions.

Rumor has it that he has already built the MK14 unit, and it is active. So look out for it.   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 06:26:16 pm »
The phones inside have GPS, so that's the tracking transmitter.

I also would have gone with a more destructive solution. Due to the laws that tend to favor the crooks over the decent people I would not want it to actually injure someone but certainly some fluorescent dye, spraypaint or superglue along with the glitter would be an improvement. I also think I'd install a whole array of cans of fart spray and have them dump the entire contents as quickly as possible.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 07:01:45 pm »
My version would have CN + dye tear gas (and not pulse the plunger).   Replace glitter with DayGlo orange paint pigment powder... you haven't seen a mess until you see what that stuff can do.  Vacuum cleaner just spreads it more.  Cheaper version would be printer toner.

Disposable ghetto version... no electronics... just battery, microswitch, solenoid, cheap DC motor and a little 3D printing.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 07:01:57 pm »
 My above mentioned R6G is very similar to the Dayglow molecule....

Ok, Some One has to Do It.  Miss Moneypenny, Please  Inform "Q" that Double OH Seven chose a bad parking place again.

:-DD

One of my favorite movie scenes as I used to work in a place that was number Seven
 in the nation for car theft.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:07:46 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 07:17:08 pm »
Is there any other country besides US where your iPad can be dropped by courier *on* the doorstep without confirmation/signature? DHL.de would not drop your package like that

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 07:22:56 pm »
DHL would not drop your package like that

DHL is known as Drop, Hide, Lose  >:D  Oh, the stories I could tell you about DHL experiences in the US.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 07:29:06 pm »
Is there any other country besides US where your iPad can be dropped by courier *on* the doorstep without confirmation/signature? DHL.de would not drop your package like that
I'm wondering about that too. In the NL courier services don't even deliver parcels to the neighbours.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 07:31:52 pm »
they can probably sue for getting glitter in their eyes or some stupid shit if its all on video

Glitter is actually pretty dangerous because of its sharp edges.  People have lost their eyesight because of it.

They are lucky its not me...  Mine would spray a highly florescent dye , Rhodamine 6G, used in liquid based laser systems.

I was thinking gentian violet and methyl mercaptan.

If they did that, breaking the window would probably activate the MK2 version of this device. The (MK2) drone would activate, and rapidly fly out of the window, and its AI system would follow the crook/bad person home.

Or in the US, the MK870 version of the device which features an organic control system.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, MK14

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 07:32:52 pm »
DHL would not drop your package like that

DHL is known as Drop, Hide, Lose  >:D  Oh, the stories I could tell you about DHL experiences in the US.

Hey! You shall not change contents, whole meaning of citation. I did talk about *German* branch of DHL, not whole company as such:

DHL.de would not drop your package like that

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:48 pm »
Hmmm,  I was at a gun show in a large (100,000+ sq foot) convention center.  Some people were selling packages of 6 small (1 ml?) glass ampoules of some stinky,  REALLY stinky,  REALLY REALLY STINKY sulphur compound.  Somebody broke one of the ampoules.  It filled the whole place with super-skunk-stank...  really impressive stuff.    Of course, I bought a package.  I think I know where they are...   >:D

Also, maybe toss in some tellurium.   Google "tellurium breath".  A few micrograms of the stuff will give you super-garlic-breath / body odor for a month.    >:D

Then there are those thiols and selenium compounds that made their way to Derek Lowe's "Things I Won't Work With"  Apparently a few grams can stank up a whole town.   >:D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 08:52:44 pm »
Then there are those thiols and selenium compounds that made their way to Derek Lowe's "Things I Won't Work With"  Apparently a few grams can stank up a whole town.   >:D

That was probably methyl mercaptan aka methanethiol or the odorizer they put in natural and propane gas.

John Clark had some things to say about using mercaptains in rocket fuel:

But then Pino, in 1949, made a discovery that can fairly be de-
scribed as revolting. He discovered that butyl mercaptan was very
rapidly hypergolic with mixed acid. This naturally delighted Standard
of California, whose crudes contained large quantities of mercaptans
and sulfides which had to be removed in order to make their gasoline
socially acceptable. So they had drums and drums of mixed butyl
mercaptans, and no use for it. If they could only sell it for rocket fuel
life would indeed be beautiful.

Well, it had two virtues, or maybe three. It was hypergolic with
mixed acid, and it had a rather high density for a fuel. And it wasn't
corrosive. But its performance was below that of a straight hydro-
carbon, and its odor — ! Well, its odor was something to consider.
Intense, pervasive and penetrating, and resembling the stink of an
enraged skunk, but surpassing, by far, the best efforts of the most
vigorous specimen of Mephitis mephitis. It also clings to the clothes and
the skin. But rocketeers are a hardy breed, and the stuff was duly and
successfully fired, although it is rumored that certain rocket mechan-
ics were excluded from their car pools and had to run behind. Ten
years after it was fired at the Naval Air Rocket Test Station — NARTS
— the odor was still noticeable around the test areas. (And at NARTS,
with more zeal than judgment , I actually developed an analysis for it!)

California Research had an extremely posh laboratory at Richmond,
on San Francisco Bay, and that was where Pino started his investiga-
tions. But when he started working on the mercaptans, he and his
accomplices were exiled to a wooden shack out in the boondocks at
least two hundred yards from the main building. Undeterred and
unrepentant , he continued his noisome endeavors, but it is very
much worth noting that their emphasis had changed. His next candi-
dates were not petroleum by-products, nor were they chemicals
which were commercially available. They were synthesized by his
own crew, specifically for fuels. Here, at the very beginning of the
fiO's, the chemists started taking over from the engineers, synthesizing
nc:w propellants (which were frequently entirely new compounds) to
order, instead of being content with items off the shelf.

Anyhow, he came up with the ethyl mercaptal of acetaldehyde and
the ethyl mercaptol of acetone, with the skeleton structures
respectively. The odor of these was not so much skunk-like as garlicky,
the epitome and concentrate of all the back doors of all the bad Greek
restaurants in all the world. And finally he surpassed himself with
something that had a dimethylamino group attached to a mercaptan
sulfur, and whose odor can't, with all the resources of the English
language, even be described. It also drew flies. This was too much,
even for Pino and his unregenerate crew, and they banished it to a
hole in the ground another two hundred yards farther out into the
tule marshes. Some months later, in the dead of night, they surrep-
titiously consigned it to the bottom of San Francisco Bay.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, MK14, photomankc

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 09:06:18 pm »

Leaving on the porch has been common practice for a long time, most people are not home during the day when the deliveries come and in most areas people have the decency to not steal something off someone's porch. Unfortunately these thefts have been getting more common in recent years, thankfully I have not personally ever had anything stolen. I have had packages delivered to a house with the same number on the next street over on numerous occasions though and I've received some of their stuff. USPS and UPS mostly.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 09:46:01 pm »
Is there any other country besides US where your iPad can be dropped by courier *on* the doorstep without confirmation/signature?
Leaving on the porch has been common practice for a long time

So you confirm that this kind of parcel delivery is specific to US only? Fun fact (Dec 2017):

Over 25 million Americans have been the victims of a holiday package robbery, an increase from 23.5 million porch thefts reported in 2015, according to a new report from Insurance Quotes.
https://www.countryliving.com/life/news/a46014/porch-pirates-stealing-packages/

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 10:36:11 pm »
So you confirm that this kind of parcel delivery is specific to US only? Fun fact (Dec 2017):

It has been common for at least 40+ years in the US for single family homes.  If you live in an apartment building, the package could be left with the management.  My solution has been to have things shipped to me at work but that is not feasible for everybody.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 10:45:20 pm »
Quote from: David Hess link=topic=158206.msg2050591#msg2050591

That was probably methyl mercaptan aka methanethiol or the odorizer they put in natural and propane gas.

Nope, those are Chanel No 5 compared to these charmers:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2012/05/15/things_i_wont_work_with_selenophenol

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2005/03/03/things_i_wont_work_with_carbon_diselenide

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2009/06/11/things_i_wont_work_with_thioacetone

Gawd,  I love Derek's writing...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:47:22 pm by texaspyro »

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 10:51:02 pm »

It has been common for at least 40+ years in the US for single family homes.  If you live in an apartment building, the package could be left with the management.  My solution has been to have things shipped to me at work but that is not feasible for everybody.

I tried that shipping to work years ago at the suggestion of a vendor.   Little did I know how UPS works internally.   That said they may have changed as the shipping to home market has heated up.

Without going into the whole story.   They ship to an address, not a person.   If it requires a signature, anyone is fine.  Package didn't come to the address because the local UPS guy on his own took it the plant dock in a building 1/2 mile away.   Internal dock people said, "Well we can't have them walking around the plant being the mail department."   No one said they had to deliver it to a desk, just to the front door at the address, not make up a different address.   If you need to change the address after it ships, you have to wait until they try at least once to deliver it the first address.  It is only then it pops up in the system and they get a new label to put on it.

FedEx was good, if you missed, it they had it at the local office, just stop by and get it.   They changed that with FedEx Home.  The end delivery are bunch of independent contractors.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 11:22:24 pm »
 :popcorn:

careful spraying people with chemicals because they can freak out about cancer and poisons

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf