Author Topic: Glitter bomb  (Read 11703 times)

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Glitter bomb
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 11:30:37 pm »
careful spraying people with chemicals because they can freak out about cancer and poisons

Gentian violet will cure their thrush.  They should pay me.

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 11:54:22 pm »
:popcorn:

careful spraying people with chemicals because they can freak out about cancer and poisons

You say that like it is a bad thing that criminal might get upset when the fruits of their behavior comes back to bite them.

Offline texaspyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 12:23:59 am »
How about a video camera and using a little image processing / AI to deploy the "flying crotch finder grinder".   >:D  Surely, nobody would complain about free ground sausage for lunch?

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 12:24:27 am »
no the problem is you might get hassled to go to court to explain yourself over 50$ of mail

and end up paying like 1000$ for a lawyer if you are smart. and possibly end up with anger management classes or court mandated psychological therapy (why did u not just call the useless cops hur dur)

If you make some kinda chemical land mine they might think your a bit off because its just kinda weird. It's really really really premeditated. You would have to explain yourself alot if it went the wrong way. No one really knows how easy it is to do this so they might think your the count of monte cristo planning revenge for 3 months over 50 dollars.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:28:20 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 12:49:40 am »
no the problem is you might get hassled to go to court to explain yourself over 50$ of mail

Just go to court and thank the mail thief from saving you from that unexpected evil package that some unknown stranger sent to your address.   

Oh, and mail theft (and just about everything else) is a federal crime in the US with like a 10 year all expenses paid vacation in Club Fed.  At one time the mail inspectors were rather relentless in their pursuits...  now, I think that they (like most policey places these days) aren't even phoning it in...  unless you commit that most heinous of crimes... downloading a video.

Offline radioactive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 12:59:28 am »
I admit that the video is funny and seems *just* at first glance.  I hope it doesn't backfire though.  Pranks like this can always go wrong.  First, I have to ask where does this guy live?  I might believe a single instance of theft, but multiple thefts and recoveries?  Don't know... seems kinda youtube-world-only to me.  What if the thief was a mother with newborn in the passenger seat?  If people really are stealing packages all over the place, I understand the concept.  In any case, I think this idea and similar could go wrong and harm innocent people if they become widespread.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 01:10:43 am »
It's so common in a lot of places that even if you killed somebody, they would have a tough time finding a jury willing to convict.   A couple of weeks ago they busted a local "porch pirate" gang and recovered a warehouse full of booty. 

And people wonder why all my mail goes to a PO box.   And twice I have gotten notifications of stolen mail recovered from crooked post office workers...  and notifications of when they were released on parole.  One of them still owes me 5 bucks stolen from poor, dead granny's christmas card 30 years ago.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 02:25:53 am »
There are some places where if you leave something of value out in plain sight, it's practically guaranteed to be stolen. I'm fortunate to live on a large hill with my front porch not really visible from the street but package theft is certainly an issue elsewhere. I have no trouble believing that a device like that could be stolen and recovered multiple times in a week.

I always liked those bait car and bike programs, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 02:39:02 am »
It doesn't have to be something of value.  One guy boxed up all his dog poop and left it out to get stolen...  what does doberman doo bring and the pawn shop these days?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 02:50:14 am »
If legal to own but not to operate, how about a FM jammer that activates when the package is stolen? The thief won't know until the FCC goes after him.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 03:18:29 am »
If legal to own but not to operate, how about a FM jammer that activates when the package is stolen? The thief won't know until the FCC goes after him.
If only.  The FCC is spread so thin, it would take years of complaints to go after a broadcast-band jammer.

I have had many packages disappear from my porch.  It encourages me to buy from Amazon so that I can have the packages delivered to a secure Amazon locker.  There is now one within walking distance of my house.

I propose to put up a camera on the porch to view people coming to the door.  I will monitor it online from my office.  If it is someone delivering a package, fine and dandy.  But if it is someone coming to the door without a package, I will remotely trigger an extremely loud siren and flashing red strobe lights.  I don't think there would be any legal repercussions, and it would at least put the fear into them.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 03:20:48 am »
Oh, and mail theft (and just about everything else) is a federal crime in the US with like a 10 year all expenses paid vacation in Club Fed.  At one time the mail inspectors were rather relentless in their pursuits...  now, I think that they (like most policey places these days) aren't even phoning it in...  unless you commit that most heinous of crimes... downloading a video.

But Fedex and UPS are private delivery services.  They are not even allowed to use a mailbox.

Offline radioactive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 03:36:33 am »
It's so common in a lot of places that even if you killed somebody, they would have a tough time finding a jury willing to convict.

Don't get me wrong.  I wouldn't vote guilty if I was on one of those juries as long as the person was proven guilty... just need a video for that.  I guess I live in a really good neighborhood.  My neighbors regularly target practice out back, so that might be one factor that keeps would-be thieves at bay.  I was just trying to make the point that sometimes revenge plans backfire.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 06:01:18 am »
It doesn't have to be something of value.  One guy boxed up all his dog poop and left it out to get stolen...  what does doberman doo bring and the pawn shop these days?

Well if the box was labeled "Dog Poop" or had a window so you could see inside, I think it's highly unlikely for it to get stolen. Perhaps I should restate and say leaving something *potentially* valuable in plain sight makes it very likely to be stolen.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 06:23:23 am »
I don't know how it ties in legally but in the spirit of the constitution this would seem to be related to 8th amendment issues in the USA.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 06:23:52 am »
Unfortunately if they died you could be charged with murder, which is probably not worth it compared to having a few packages stolen.

There are loads of simpler ways to make bait packages that accomplish something similar without the complicated video link and tracking. A <$1 microcontroller, some cheap generic alkaline batteries and toy motor could accomplish most of the same thing, or go even cheaper and just use a springloaded contraption.

His over-engineered solution produced some fantastic video clips though, and given the vast number of views it has generated it probably paid for itself in advertising revenue.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 09:03:50 am »
Until a couple of years ago, parcel services dropping the package at the entrance wasn´t a thing over here, they rather had 3 tries to deliver (which doesn´t make much sense, as you are likely to be e.g. at work at the same daytime in these 3 days), after which you could fetch it from the post office. Now you only get 1 try (depends on their route if you are lucky to be at home when they come), but you could give consent in advance (online) to put it somewhere, alternatively a neighbour signs for reception and you get a written notice which one has it.

A saying here goes: It´s the opportunity that creates the thieves.
If you give consent to have it dropped at the front porch you more or less take responsibility - a theft is still a theft, but it is not the parcel service´s liability then. It might even be considered careless behavior and you will pay for it - might explain the police officers reaction to it. When all security and liability is replaced by convenience, it might be seen as the majority of the cause for such crimes.

When looking at these people... they seem to just drive around and collect it as if it was their right. Of course this means there are low moral standards, low security, "the insurance will pay for it", "making couple of hundred dollars per hour off stupid, lazy people" and such reasoning. However, last thing you want is the law enforcement protecting or ignoring the criminals because the only existing evidence was tampered with.

I mean the video was funny, relatively harmless and interesting to watch, but building trap devices is of course a double edged sword in what they are used for and why. There is no guarantee that such a device is not encountered by underaged, stupid kids (in countries in which kids are actually allowed to go outside alone), animals, drunk people and such. It might hit the wrong target.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:13:08 am by SparkyFX »
Support your local planet.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 09:59:49 am »
That is just perfecty designed!
Highly annoying glitter, fart spray to more or less ensure it becomes sufficiently more annoying and doesn't stop being so for people to throw the thing out so it can be recovered, YET nothing permanent, actually damaging or dangerous, glitter and fart spray cans are perfectly safe standard commercial products.

Those here who want to use charged caps, fire, marking dyes, paint, random chemicals etc would all make themselves seriously liable to injury or property damage claims, but here there's really nothing that can be held against him, it's annoying but innocent.

There is no guarantee that such a device is not encountered by underaged, stupid kids (in countries in which kids are actually allowed to go outside alone), animals, drunk people and such. It might hit the wrong target.

They are all right targets, none of those somehow have a right to steal a package...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:47:43 am by Kilrah »

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 10:28:59 am »
I happened to watch this yesterday and agree that it is a great design.

I also read that amazon is teaming up with local police across the US to drop delivery fake packages with trackers inside them to catch these criminals.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 10:33:25 am »
What's great is that he went for a harmless yet effective payload. It'd be too easy to opt for some nasty chemical, paint or other substance. In this case they're two things people would buy for their kids, yet it still gets the job done wonderfully. People seem to willingly throw out a cube with a handful of mobile phones in it.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline photomankc

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 03:50:51 pm »
I admit that the video is funny and seems *just* at first glance.  I hope it doesn't backfire though.  Pranks like this can always go wrong.  First, I have to ask where does this guy live?  I might believe a single instance of theft, but multiple thefts and recoveries?  Don't know... seems kinda youtube-world-only to me.  What if the thief was a mother with newborn in the passenger seat?  If people really are stealing packages all over the place, I understand the concept.  In any case, I think this idea and similar could go wrong and harm innocent people if they become widespread.

This is not aimed only at your statement....

this is the mindset that has made society more and more intolerable as time goes on.  This hand-wringing worry for the safety of criminals.  There really isn't a legitimate reason for a mother to be snatching packages from the porches of people's homes and opening them in her car. Nor is there any reason the law should allow her to expect that situation to be one that is safe for her child.  If she opens it and an angry wolverine emerges, then the ONLY person responsible for injury to herself or her child is her.

It's astonishing to stand back and look at where we really are today.  Just listened to my wife tell a tale of a school SRO that is now fighting a complaint filed against him for cuffing a student after they threatened to attack another student in the office, flung themselves into the deputy multiple times screaming, and the last time with a running start.  Who is the mother, local press, and several parents now upset with?  The officer that cuffed the little @#$^ after being rammed 4 or 5 times and warning the kid to stop it.  I mean the kids are close to discovering that there *really* is not much anymore that can be done to them by litigation-fearing staff.  Same with shoplifters and other thieves.  They are just brazen because there are no consequences.  All around it's the same.  Good people being told they have to tiptoe around the worthless thieves because the thief might get a splinter. 

This package theft behavior is 100% ignored by police and authorities.  You can have the face, address, and GPS data to back it all up and they will still tell you to pound-sand.   There is currently absolutely no deterrence to doing this even if it's on video.  I order stuff and have deliveries multiple times per month.  I can't take off work to pick up all the packages and my shipping department at work would have a fit if people were using them to deliver personal packages.  It's 10,000 person campus.  They would be swamped if even 10% did that.  I'm not sure what the answer here is.  Maybe some type of secure container people can install at home to allow delivery services to drop off securely (reasonably) without just leaving things on the porch?  My regular UPS/DHL folks tend to try and keep the package out-of-sight, but once the holidays hit and the extra hands come on I'm lucky if they only toss it from halfway down the driveway onto the porch.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:07:43 pm by photomankc »

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron, Kilrah, kizmit99

Online LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 03:58:37 pm »
Package theft is getting rampant.  Even in our nice safe rural area, The post office now sends me a scan of my expected mail, and an email  the day it is to arrive.

My new "federally mandated" secure Ohio drivers license was stolen out of the mail. Really dumb idea to mail them without signature required or tracking. . Due to the feds DHS mandate, they all have to be printed at one central secure printer instead of on site at the DMV, the way it used to be. Now they hand you a laserprinted  8.5x11 piece of paper at the DMV as your temporary license.

As for the missing one, I  Had to have another one issued, took 21 days. Had it sent to work.   Just got it.

OH, BTW, a Biometric  US Passport is not good enough to be considered Photo ID at the  Ohio DMV.  It gets me on Airbases and into National Labs, but Noooo...  Not at the DMV.  Instread bring a phone bill, a trash bill, or car insurance card as proof of residence.

Please tell me how this IMPROVES security?

BTW, DHL stands for  DOESNT HANDLE LASERS. My friend has video of them dropping his crated laser off a plane.

Steve

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:03:25 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline photomankc

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »
I happened to watch this yesterday and agree that it is a great design.

I also read that amazon is teaming up with local police across the US to drop delivery fake packages with trackers inside them to catch these criminals.

That's good.  Their business model more or less depends on being able to *quickly* deliver packages to homes while people are out, and the vast majority of homes are empty in the day time.  Fast delivery and then 2 days of "We missed you" back-and-forth ruins it's effectiveness.  That's a dang big business here.  The police just shrugging and saying... "too bad, don't order online goods, or just accept them getting stolen" is not good for that and it's spawning an army of these people because they know there is currently effectively zero risk in doing it.

Offline photomankc

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 04:05:51 pm »
OH, BTW, a Biometric  US Passport is not good enough to be considered Photo ID at the  Ohio DMV.  It gets me on Airbases and into National Labs, but Noooo...  Not at the DMV.  Instread bring a phone bill, a trash bill, or car insurance card as proof of residence.

BTW, DHL stands for  DOESNT HANDLE LASERS. My friend has video of them dropping his crated laser off a plane.

Steve

Like most laws, it doesn't have to make sense.  You just have to do it.   |O

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 04:33:56 pm »

This actually does make sense. The Passport is good evidence of who you are, but it says nothing about where you live. Ohio's DMV rightly wants to limit Ohio driver's licenses to verified Ohio residents.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf