Author Topic: good american lithium ion battery brands  (Read 3992 times)

Offline CopperConeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
good american lithium ion battery brands
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:51:09 pm »
What are some good american lithium ion battery brands that are safe and preferably have more then the minimum safety features installed?

I don't trust Chinese culture to make a battery I feel safe in my home. My drill batteries are stored in a metal toolbox away from flammables. This is for a application that would be out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:55:09 pm by CopperCone »

Offline garboui

• Regular Contributor
Re: good american lithium ion battery brands
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:55:23 pm »
your going to be looking for a while. There are NA companies that make pack level solutions and have certifications done domestically, however they are just reselling Asian cells and massive markup.

Your best insurance is to stick with brand mane cells like, Samsung, Sanyo, LG, Panasonic, etc.. Not only this will give you some guarantee of safety but honesty of specs at the cell level.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:58:05 pm by garboui »

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:59:42 pm »
Oh, no north american companies actually make them at a cell level? That's what I am worried about, the intrinsic failure modes that can only be guaranteed by accountable manufacturing.

How about EU countries like France, Germany, etc.

I feel like some of those brands would basically  ::) at a scandal.. plus you can't really trust the managers and stuff. Too many counterfeits, late night production runs with less QA, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:03:15 pm by CopperCone »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:02:43 pm »
There are basically none which are widely available.
Major manufacturers are Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Sony. If you mean brand of battery packs, then good ones will contain elements of previously listed manufacturers.

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:04:05 pm »
Any manufacturers that sell to the military? I bet they would want their stuff done domestically.

Where does the US military get their batteries anyway?

My application is a new battery that will go on a motorized telescope mount that has a microwave antenna on it. Like a positioner. It ordinarily used 12V of AA, but this is an unacceptable solution.

It would stay in the attic or outdoors, so the requirements are more stringent then a laptop or cellphone. It would have an enclosure in direct sunlight, etc.

Perhaps I will look for milspec batteries on digikey. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:08:27 pm by CopperCone »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:08:47 pm »
There's Tesla, but they don't sell to the general public at this time. About the only way to get those is on the secondary market from wrecked cars.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 03:11:59 pm »
any volunteer fire fighters want to help out? :-DD

Are they worried about other car manufacturers?

I'm sure everyone interested in high reliability and safety would be interested in American made batteries. I know when I worked on products I would instantly feel better if the parts specified were american.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:15:34 pm by CopperCone »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 03:15:22 pm »
There's Tesla, but they don't sell to the general public at this time. About the only way to get those is on the secondary market from wrecked cars.
IMO looking for US or EU made batteries is rather stupid. What you certainly won't get is higher quality. Panasonic is good enough to be used by Tesla and Gigafactory is built in collaboration with Panasonic. Manufacturers I listed usually make their elements in either Japan or South Korea.

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 03:16:19 pm »
I trust the work culture of those places. I guess the supply chain at digikey will be trusted..

Still, what does the military use? Interested.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 03:18:09 pm »
I trust the work culture of those places.
From my experience about EU often it's rather low.

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 03:19:41 pm »
I trust the work culture of those places.
From my experience about EU often it's rather low.

I meant japan. Totally forgot they are made in Japan.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 03:27:43 pm »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 04:15:58 pm »
Tadiran Batteries might qualify and they make military products but availability for mere mortals may be a problem:

http://www.tadiranbat.com/tli-rechargable.html

In your situation however, I would look for LiFePO4 cells from a reputable manufacturer because they are tougher.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 04:25:39 pm »
Tadiran Batteries might qualify and they make military products but availability for mere mortals may be a problem:

http://www.tadiranbat.com/tli-rechargable.html

In your situation however, I would look for LiFePO4 cells from a reputable manufacturer because they are tougher.

LiFePO4 are also a lot safer than other Lithium cells.  Look on youtube for LiFePO4 torture videos.  They basically don't explode or burst into flames like other Lithium cells.  Obviously, any charged battery has to be treated with respect, but when you can attack a large cell with a hacksaw, you know it's relatively safe.

Ed

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 04:29:10 pm »
There is http://en.customcells.de in germany.

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 05:01:07 pm »
I like the sound of those lithium oxide batteries from tadiran

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:38 pm »
Oh, no north american companies actually make them at a cell level? That's what I am worried about, the intrinsic failure modes that can only be guaranteed by accountable manufacturing.

A Dutch company called Cleantron ( cleantron.nl ) does the entire assembly process in house. Quality is their selling point. They check every cell, keep records of every weld in every pack, do a full cycle test on each pack, etc. The reason they produce in the NL is because the Chinese are horrible at producing reliable battery packs.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:03:48 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »

A Dutch company called Cleantron ( cleantron.nl ) does the entire assembly process in house. Quality is their selling point. They check every cell, keep records of every weld in every pack, do a full cycle test on each pack, etc. The reason they produce in the NL is because the Chinese are horrible at producing reliable battery packs.
But those are just Panasonic, LG and Samsung cells as they state themselves.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:22:39 pm by wraper »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 06:43:28 pm »

But those are just Panasonic, LG and Samsung cells as they state themselves.
True but they buy directly from these manufacturers. Because they check every individual cell (and reject the ones which our outside the cell matching range) they can keep close watch on the quality of the cells they are receiving.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 06:45:17 pm »
Ehm. IIRC Tesla just contracts Panasonic to build and run a fab for them.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 06:46:31 pm »
What about Japanese cells?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 07:52:19 pm »

That may be largely true, but the resulting batteries are still an American brand produced in America. Which is exactly what the original poster asked for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_1

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 08:46:56 pm »

That may be largely true, but the resulting batteries are still an American brand produced in America. Which is exactly what the original poster asked for.

If you take apart used tesla battery, most likely you'll get japanese made Panasonic, not made at Gigafactory.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »

If you take apart used tesla battery, most likely you'll get japanese made Panasonic, not made at Gigafactory.
Also quite likely, particularly on the earlier vehicles, since Telsa can't meet their own demand yet. Which doesn't make anything I said above incorrect, so far as I can see.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 02:50:51 am »
Also quite likely, particularly on the earlier vehicles, since Telsa can't meet their own demand yet. Which doesn't make anything I said above incorrect, so far as I can see.
Tesla started to use their own batteries since beginning of this year, and not nearly on all cars. So at this time the chance getting Gigafactory made batteries is very slim. Also if reliability is a priority, buying used batteries from crashed car is somewhat dubious.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf