Author Topic: Good resist for hand filling in pours?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline DijitalTopic starter

• Contributor
Good resist for hand filling in pours?
« on: March 23, 2017, 07:08:28 am »
I'm working on a design that has a fairly high power buck converter on the board. Given that I am using lots of large pours in the PCB layout. I can only do toner transfer though, and I don't want to deal with the headache of trying to get all those vast swaths of ink to transfer, nor do I want to use that much ink anyway. So in my design I laid outlines of the pours, and plan to fill them in by hand when I do the transfer.

In the past I have used a sharpie to touch up traces, but never to fill areas. So I am weary of it's ability to work in situations like that. Can anyone recommend a good ink or marker I could use? I looked at some resist pens, but they are relatively expensive and don't have the best reviews. I wouldn't be opposed to using a paint brush if necessary, finer detail areas I could just have the printer fill in.

Usually I etch with ferric chloride, but I also have sodium persulfate i could use.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Good resist for hand filling in pours?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 01:10:31 pm »
Try the staedler permanent special, looks like it gave reasonable results in this video...

https://youtu.be/BMtYoMiKvMg

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Good resist for hand filling in pours?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:13:56 am »
I've used model paint from the hobby shop and nail polish. Both worked well. I wouldn't use any that are "water-based" without testing first. Most are fairly waterproof when thoroughly dry, but better safe than sorry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf