Author Topic: What is this PCB vendor asking?  (Read 456 times)

Offline robertbaruch

• Regular Contributor
What is this PCB vendor asking?
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
I sent in a PCB to a vendor in China that really looks over the design for potential problems. Usually I can figure out what the problem is, but this time I'm pretty stumped. Does anyone have any idea what they are asking for?

"second, these places on the solder mask layer will be opening wholely or will be fabricated as the green oil bridge?"

And they included a pretty low-resolution image:

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: What is this PCB vendor asking?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
They want to know if you require soldermask between the fingers (pads) on tha connector, or if they can just remove soldermask from that entirely.

Thin soldermask slivers can be a problem.

"Green oil" = soldermask
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics PhD Candidate
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
Your minimum solder mask width is too small, and/or your solder mask to copper clearance is too small.
You need to revise your design, otherwise they will remove the solder mask in affected areas.
If the design is manufactured as is, you may end up having a board with solder mask covering copper or being deposited incorrectly.
SIGSEGV is inevitable if you try to talk more than you know. If I say gibberish, keep in mind that my license plate is SIGSEGV.

Offline TimNJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:59:24 PM »
If I had to guess, they are asking if you want to pull back soldermask between the pins of the ICs and your card edge connector.

For instance, most PCI (and similar) cards do not have solder mask between the connector. Just bare FR4.

Edit: Ah yes, beat me to it.

Offline robertbaruch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
I think I see. They're objecting to the ultrathin soldermask between the fine pitch pins. That makes sense.

Thanks all!

Offline robertbaruch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
Hmm. I removed the soldermask from the pads, and they came back with the exact same question. I still don't know what "green oil bridge" is.

Here is what my original KiCad file looked like:

In KiCad the purple stuff is solder mask clearance. I thought that was supposed to be the area to keep the solder mask OUT of. What I don't understand is, if they're objecting to solder mask between the pins, why aren't they paying attention to the solder mask clearance?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
They are asking if you want tented vias?

Online bson

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:44:47 PM »
Hmm. I removed the soldermask from the pads, and they came back with the exact same question. I still don't know what "green oil bridge" is.

Here is what my original KiCad file looked like:

In KiCad the purple stuff is solder mask clearance. I thought that was supposed to be the area to keep the solder mask OUT of. What I don't understand is, if they're objecting to solder mask between the pins, why aren't they paying attention to the solder mask clearance?
If I were to make a wild guess, they want to know if your via should still be tented so your solder doesn't drain down it, or should they honor the mask and leave it untented (I doubt they can tent half of it as shown :)).
<This space intentionally left blank>

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
It is worth asking for the Chinese sentence too, because you might be able to find a better translator (like some people here) than the one they use.

Page 20 of this shows "green oil bridge" as being "soldermask bridge": https://wenku.baidu.com/view/90f993784b73f242336c5fd0.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf