Author Topic: Hack-A-Day Prize Semi-Finalists  (Read 6347 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Hack-A-Day Prize Semi-Finalists
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:27:08 am »
http://hackaday.io/list/2864-The-Hackaday-Prize%3A-Semifinalists

Who do you reckon deserves to win the $200K or a trip to space?

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
Re: Hack-A-Day Prize Semi-Finalists
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:08:06 am »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:12 am »
Many of the projects are already available in one form or another, like the home automation systems, 3D printers, pick and place machines, or SDR systems. Nice hacks and maybe cheaper than existing products. But my favorites are these projects:

BuckyBot: I've seen ideas to build a house with mobile 3D printers, but not something at this scale. And I like domes. Once I wrote a Python script for Blender to create one and earlier a LSL script (Second Life) to create one within the game, with customizable recursion depth, rods and glass windows.

SolarSurfer: That's a nice idea and later could be useful for other projects, like research, or helping with The Ocean Cleanup project.

Hoverlay II: I think there are some installations already which uses this concept, but you can't buy it ready-made and it looks awesome.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:20:38 am »
Anything that says "Open Source" before saying what it actually is, mark down 25%
Anything that still has a breadboard inside - disqualify  ;D
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:03:46 am »
The ones that I found to be interesting are (roughly in decreasing order)

TJ $99 Thermal Imager
Portable SDR
Handheld 3GHz Spectrum Analyzer
Solar Surfer

I am not sure what is behind the 'connectivity' requirement and hopefully it will not be a deciding factor. Also, will be good to give the prize to a project that actually works, not just a plan. For example the Solar Surfer is planned to swim from CA to HI but this requires some validation.

Offline IO390

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:18:44 pm »
The solar surfer is just cool. I hope they stick a timelapse camera on there...

I want to build one now.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:37:11 pm »
I am not sure what is behind the 'connectivity' requirement and hopefully it will not be a deciding factor.
It was supposed to be a core requirement, along with open source, but, as many people—including me—have complained about in the announcement comments, several of the semifinalists did not seem to meet either of those requirements.

Personally, I'm rooting for (in the order they appear in the announcement):

I think these are unlikely to succeed at their own goals:
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 12:12:48 am »
The solar surfer just seems like a shitty version of a waveglider (which has already conducted, and completed an autonomous trip from San Francisco to Australia without issue, and drives itself at the same 1-2 knots 24/7 without requiring any electrical power):
http://liquidr.com/

I see this solar surfer flipping over IMMEDIATELY as soon as it gets out into the actual ocean.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:14:22 am by suicidaleggroll »

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 12:24:51 am »
I see this solar surfer flipping over IMMEDIATELY as soon as it gets out into the actual ocean.
It has already been tested in the ocean.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:20:52 am »

I think it's designed to flip back.

Being open source should be an important requirement IMO.

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:21:00 pm »
And mee! I was kind of impressed to make the cut :)

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:05 am »
It has already been tested in the ocean.

2 km off shore is hardly "the ocean", that's practically the beach.  The difference in wave activity/height 2 km off shore vs just 20 km off shore is night and day.  Bring it 100 km off shore and it's in yet another league entirely.  A top-heavy surfboard does not stand a chance in the open ocean, I'm sorry.

Their idea has already been explored, developed, and commercialized YEARS ago, and the current status of ocean-going autonomous buoys is already miles beyond their current prototype.

It's not a new idea, and they're not bringing anything new to the table.  From what I can tell, the solar surfer's current R&D status is years behind the current commercial options.  Where is the new development?  How is this pushing anything forward or introducing anything new?

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:42 pm »
Their idea has already been explored, developed, and commercialized YEARS ago, and the current status of ocean-going autonomous buoys is already miles beyond their current prototype.

It's not a new idea, and they're not bringing anything new to the table.  From what I can tell, the solar surfer's current R&D status is years behind the current commercial options.  Where is the new development?  How is this pushing anything forward or introducing anything new?
Definitely true. I wish The Global Seer had made the cut instead. It's at least useful, and provides a capability we don't seem to have right now.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 12:29:41 am »
2 km off shore is hardly "the ocean", that's practically the beach.  The difference in wave activity/height 2 km off shore vs just 20 km off shore is night and day.  Bring it 100 km off shore and it's in yet another league entirely.  A top-heavy surfboard does not stand a chance in the open ocean, I'm sorry.

It would have to be self righting, that is sure. It can't be that hard to do.
The waves would be a lot safer out at sea, more predictable and generally not as steep. They kick up when the water becomes shallow.
In a storm yachts will run to the open sea if they cant get to a sheltered anchorage.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 04:27:00 am »
I have to say, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Pretty much all the entries have been done before.  :(

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 01:22:07 am »
A little after the fact but I had a look and the Portable SDR looks very much like a moneymaker. Be neat if it could send emergency GPS locations without the need for a license, that could be a real commercial product.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf