Author Topic: Hacking a 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight and dimming it with DMX  (Read 4263 times)

Offline 69morphoTopic starter

Hi there,

I am considering to use about 20 mini LED flash lights for an art installation. They will be running off a power supplies (probably 3V) and DMX to dim their brightness. It should be a very simply flash light with a super-narrow zoom, only one mode (full power) and if possible under $10 each.

I've tried the brightness control with DMX on a test flashlight and it seems to work perfectly. Since those flashlights have a built-in circuitry that brings up the 1.5 V from the battery to above the forward voltage of the Cree Q5 LED (3.3+ V) I was wondering if dimming with DMX could do any harm to the circuitry and what the ideal power supply voltage would be.

I found the "7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light" on Amazon. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Erwin

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
http://www.amazon.com/300LM-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable-Focus/dp/B00828MZ3W these? they are using 14500 lithium cells, 3.7V nominal each. Why do you want to base that art installation to off the self flashlight? Because they can be zoomed to tight square?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:26:56 pm by Legit-Design »

The reason why I am using a flashlight is because is can zoom to a tight square, correct. I custom built focused LED lights myself in the past but just the lenses, LEDs, etc cost more than $40. Those off-the-shelf flashlights have decent lenses and CREE LEDs for under $10. Saves a lot of time and money...

Now I just want to know if I can reliably control them with DMX. It works on a test flash light but I want to make sure that the built-in booster of the flashlight can deal with the output from the DMX driver over time...

Thanks,

Erwin

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Using PWM on the 1.5V supply seems like an ugly way.  I mean, it may work fine but would be highly dependent on the driver design.

If it were me, I'd be bypassing the step-up converter and work with the LEDs directly.

How long does this installation need to last?  Days, months, years?

Installation should last years but only will be on maybe an hour a day average. Yes, bypassing the circuitry, putting in the appropriate resistor and using the flashlight's housing as a heatsink is probably the best way to go.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Erwin

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
You can buy really cheap CC drivers with DMX input from China these days.  Check out Ray Wu's AliExpress store as I think he sells them.

Re: Hacking a 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight and dimming it with DMX
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »
Just a little update on the flashlight dimming project:
I got those 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED flashlights and I tested 2 different DMX controlled current limiting drivers from Shanghai EUChips Industrial - www.euchips.com
PX704 - has 4 channels and you can set the current either to 350 or 700mA
PX705 - has 3 channels and you can set the current to 300, 350, 500, 650 or 700mA
EUChips has been extremely helpful and you can order directly with PayPal. Contact Ivy Chang at ivy@euchips.com if you need further information.

Cheers,

Erwin

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:42:53 pm »
Side note: whatever they may claim, this is definitely not a 7W or 300lm torch. There are (too) many imitation CREE LED flashlights out there; as a rule avoid anything with 'fire' (e.g., Ultrafire) in the name. The closest real thing is an LED LENSER P7.2 which is 320 lumens and $65. It will, however, actually be 350 lumens and the optics will produce a smooth circle of light.

Of course, this doesn't matter if you're happy with what you've got.

Offline halolily17

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 07:00:48 am »
I have read your requirement. I will suggest you to consider the Tactical Flashlight http://bit.ly/2ukrSqIG30R ;Fashionable patent compact design body; Using CREE XM-L2 T6 LED, and 14500 lithium battery. Only 5.96 inches in length, G30R delivers max 150-lumen output. I think it's really suitable for you and help my suggestion will help you.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 07:14:53 am »
I have read your requirement. I will suggest you to consider the Tactical Flashlight http://bit.ly/2ukrSqIG30R ;Fashionable patent compact design body; Using CREE XM-L2 T6 LED, and 14500 lithium battery. Only 5.96 inches in length, G30R delivers max 150-lumen output. I think it's really suitable for you and help my suggestion will help you.

Lets see:

First post... check.
Promoting a product... check.
Bumping a 3 year old thread... check.
Not financially motivated... No check.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf