Author Topic: Hakko fx888D transformer.  (Read 3323 times)

Offline David97Topic starter

• Contributor
Hakko fx888D transformer.
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:33:51 am »
Hi everyone. I've been running my fx-888d from a step down transformer for about a year now. I'm wanting to convert it to 230V  as it has to have a rather large transformer to go with it, which is huge and heavy. I'm after a 24V => 3.2A, 230v good quality transformer for it. Anyone have any ideas for one that would fit with the stock mounting? My very rough measurements for the hole spacing is 43 across and 55 long.

If you cant find stock mounting can you suggest a decent transformer that could fit?

Thanks, David.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko fx888D transformer.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:11:54 am »
I'm in the same boat. I run my Hakko off a large step down transformer.

It's difficult to get a genuine 230V Hakko here.

I should've bought a Weller.

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:12:12 am »
I've have the same problem; it was so much cheaper to buy one from the US. It might be possible to retrofit a 230V transformer, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. IMHO you're better off buying a european soldering iron (could be something better than an FX888D, as their cost is inflated here) and selling your current one.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
I don't own a Hakko but if so many forum members are in the same situation you might specify a transformer and organize a group buy from a transformer maker.

Offline David97Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »
Thanks guys. I've heard of a few people converting therm. But the result's can be a massive toroid squeezed into the tiny hakko case. Or something that doesn't fit properly and kind of ruins the nice design of it. I might be going to jaycar and just picking up a toroid to fit in there if I can't find anything else.

I've heard that the hobbyking cheap 936 ripoff. Apparently the transformer fits in with stock mounting. Not to sure of the quality of the transformer for $16 with a iron. I'ld rather get something that's decent quality if I can. Any thoughts?

One of my master plans is to ditch the 888 eventually. I like the idea of designing my own iron, probably have a nice lcd display pot or encoder to set the temp, arduino processor. I know the wes51 will do that, but why buy it when you an build it for 3 times the price  :-+ . I would like to do it for the experience more than anything. I know, I don't make any sense :p .

Offline ElectricGuy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »
I bought my hakko here. Goog price and not fake.
Also bought my E4

http://www.batterfly.com/shop/hakko_fx-888d

(i'm not affiliate with the store )
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline microbug

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:41:04 pm »
Ah, wish I'd seen that when I bought mine.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 04:40:46 pm »
I don't own a Hakko but if so many forum members are in the same situation you might specify a transformer and organize a group buy from a transformer maker.

A search for 'custom toroidal transformer' gives many hits. Depending on the price it can be a hot item on ebay.

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 05:17:44 pm »
IIRC I've used the following transformer http://lemona.lt/index.php?page=item&i_id=172590

They should be available on tme.eu

Note, you will need to make L form mounts from a sheet of metal to fix it, two of the holes will line up perfectly, for other two you will need to make an offset on the standoffs, if you are interested I can take a few photos of my station.

P.S it is hard to find a transformer that fits inside of the case almost all are a bit to high...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:20:42 pm by Iwanushka »
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline mackrc1

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 11:40:06 pm »
For anyone looking for a genuine 230v Hakko check out Proto-Pic.
Not sponsored I promise!  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf