Author Topic: Handheld 3d printer devices for building enclosures and supports?  (Read 2282 times)

Online e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Has anyone had any luck in using things like this

to build PCB or display supports using ABS or PLA plastic?

I would be interested to know how well the molten plastic adheres to FR4 PCB material.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Handheld 3d printer devices for building enclosures and supports?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 07:35:36 am »
Are you even serious? It's a 3d doodling pen for artists. You cannot make anything remotely precision or functional with it.

Online e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 07:40:13 am »
Are you even serious? It's a 3d doodling pen for artists. You cannot make anything remotely precision or functional with it.

I'm thinking prototype, not production use.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 08:57:03 am »
And what sort of prototype it will be? If +/- few cm of precision is ok, then maybe. And you need to be an artist with a steady hand in the first place, to make something more or less resembling what you want to do. They even say: "3d doodling experience" in the video.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:00:12 am »
:palm: not even close. we are struggling to get the precision on even the robotics 3 axis (normal 3d) printer. now you want to do it freehand? i can understand if you are superman...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 05:47:38 pm »
Hand-held 3d printer for enclosures? No way, just no.
Just use normal 3D printer or make a box from paper/carton with scissors and glue or try any other reasonable technique.

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »
i can see if being done if you coat the thing you made with epoxy later.

I have done super ghetto things like making aluminum foil molds for pouring epoxy into, coated with olive oil.. I don't see why you could not make a skeleton out of something 3d printer (hand held) and coat it with epoxy. Sounds kind of useful actually. Big time saver..

might actually be quite strong too. it will just look kinda bad and not stack well. then just weedle it into shape using a knife, file, dremel, etc. kind of like making a composite using a wicker basket.

alot better then some bullshit made out of water logged cardboard, but again if you coat cardboard with epoxy its also strongs... but this would allow very interesting geometries to be made easily without fixtures etc

the only thing I would worry about is brittleness due to age/UV.. it should be fairly dimensionally stable.. you guys are acting like he is trying to make a crank shaft for a muscle car lol

also, a benefit to using a hand held one is that you don't have fixed dimensions, only your patience and cash reserves. You could build something 12 feet long if you want.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:19:53 pm by CopperCone »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 12:00:45 pm »
I would be interested to know how well the molten plastic adheres to FR4 PCB material.

To FR4 or solder mask? Either way, not very well. Molten plastic doesn't stick much to anything apart from other molten plastic. It's quite difficult finding a base material for 3D printers that molten plastic will actually stick to.

I've tried using cheap FDM 3D printers for prototyping enclosures, it's very limited. Our CAD dept have started using SLS for space models, these are a lot closer in form to the injection moulded production versions. SLS printers are a lot more expensive than typical hobby printers though.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:06:54 pm »

For prototype you'd just use 3d printer.

You really do not want prototype that can't even have second iteration that is precise.

If you really want to model a case without one, hot snot and cardboard is cheapest option.

Glue or resin and plywood is also cheap way to prototype.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf