Author Topic: Help identifying plastic in Turtle Beach headset needing repair  (Read 3138 times)

Online splinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hope this isn't too far off topic but my son has snapped a pivot on his Turtle Beach X12 headset which allows the ear cup to swivel +/- 15 degrees or so. There isn't much area for gluing it and it is under quite a lot of strain so I need to use the best possible glue. I can add a little mechanical reinforcement using bits of thin piano-wire at the sides.

Does anyone know what type of plastic this is likely to be? The only marking I can see is L3 but I don't suppose this will be a type marking. For what its worth its a black thermosplastic with parts that clip together and fairly rigid. Finding the melting temperature will be tricky.

Also what type of glue would you suggest?

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help identifying plastic in Turtle Beach headset needing repair
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:57:36 am »
I cant help with the plastic ID but last time I did this type of repair I drilled both parts and inserted a metal dowel between them to provide some strength.

Alternately if there's enough meat, maybe drill and tap both sides and use a cut off section of M2.5/3/4 screw thread to hold them together.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:59:07 am by DTJ »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Help identifying plastic in Turtle Beach headset needing repair
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:36:14 am »
I would guess either ABS or polystyrene, but you can find plenty of online guides on how to identify the various plastics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf