Author Topic: Help with product idea.  (Read 1251 times)

Offline dominic.rose141Topic starter

Help with product idea.
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:29:39 pm »
Hi all, firstly want to shout out to Dave to say what a great YouTube channel.
I'm new to the forum and wish to gain some helpful advice and information on an idea I have.

I currently own a new company in which I make custom vivariums for reptiles.
A couple of weeks ago a customer came to me asking for a thermostat that could control certain features.
Currently from my understanding the features he is wanting, isn't a product. So I thought I'd make my own.

New to EE I bought a arduino and learnt some code. Currently have a semi functioning breadboard and script.
The next step is where I need help.
I want to draw a schematic and PCB layout so that I can design the finished product and get some PCBs made. To hopefully throw it on kickstarter.

The features are.
A simple looking box with pluggable thermo probes and the option of wireless ones.
It needs to power 240v ceramic heat bulbs, light limiting heat bulbs and heatmat/heat wire. Now I was going to have theses three as different products.
The market currently calls theses. Pulse proportional, dimming and on/off thermostats.
I currently only have a prototype for on/off using a SSR breakout for the arduino.

The system also needs 12v dimming output for led strip lighting. As well as 12v fans.
Of which I have figured out using a MOSFET.
I was hoping to view the current and set temps using a phone app and Bluetooth. As well as having the option for a WiFi module which you'd use the Bluetooth to connect to. Which would let the device tweet the current temps.

The lights and temps also change depending on time. Currently using a RTC arduino breakout.

By now you might have figured out my problem. I have so many arduino based products. How do I make a schematic for a product without having to buy theses.

Also if anyone has any advice on the Bluetooth, WiFi and 240v control for the dimming version as well as the 240v pulse proportional version.

I hope I've given enough info if not please let me know and I'll do what I can.

Thanks in advance.

Dom. 

Offline dominic.rose141Topic starter

Re: Help with product idea.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:01:15 pm »
Thank you for the reply.
I'm currently using a TIP-120 to do the pwm for the 12v LEDs and fans. Well the arduino is doing the pwm.

I was going to buy a ESP8266 serial WiFi transceiver for the arduino and a serial BT RF transceiver module RS232. At least to begin with to write the code.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf