Author Topic: high voltage opamp?  (Read 7020 times)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: high voltage opamp?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 09:19:12 pm »
A $10 boutique part, that isn't stocked anywhere, just because you don't understand a solution that half a dozen more knowledgeable engineers have proposed?

Well, you know what they say about money and certain types of people... ::)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline sgt_bearTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 05:07:56 pm »
Yes i saw the part is unavailabel :(
Also i have read the datasheet and sadly the device also steals current :( 500uA

I simulated one of the shown solutions, but they all consume massive current  (like 1.5mA) through the Zener. 1.5mA is way to bad.  I need 100uA precision, so the current has to be WAY under 100uA (10uA) or so.

What solutions do good multimeters use? They have a way more extreme job, they have to measure 10uA to 10A, in  mV to 750V range,
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:10:58 pm by sgt_bear »

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 05:42:17 pm »

sgt_bear
     Think you are missing something very simple.

When you add the  measurement circuit, your high voltage system (150-250V DC) is how supplying two loads.
One that you want to measure current in.
One that supplies power to measurement circuit.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:38 pm »
Also i have read the datasheet and sadly the device also steals current :( 500uA

Internally it duplicates the other posted solution but with worse accuracy and higher cost.

I simulated one of the shown solutions, but they all consume massive current  (like 1.5mA) through the Zener. 1.5mA is way to bad.  I need 100uA precision, so the current has to be WAY under 100uA (10uA) or so.

The supply current and output current are completely separate circuits although they could be joined and the offset produced by a fixed supply current removed.  The supply current with that high voltage is still annoying so it is advantageous to use a low power operational amplifier which is why I suggested the TL031 which only requires 200 microamps but there are modern more expensive parts which draw much less current if you can live with lower bandwidth.

What solutions do good multimeters use? They have a way more extreme job, they have to measure 10uA to 10A, in  mV to 750V range,

Multimeters measure the voltage across a switched current shunt and are floating so there is none of this high side and low side nonsense.  As far as the multimeter is concerned, it is just another low, typically 100s of milivolts, voltage measurement.  Duplicating this would be more expensive and complex; it means floating the analog to digital converter to the high voltage supply.

Offline Greg Robinson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »

If your zener has that much current flowing through it, the design needs to be adjusted - those example circuits are just that - not a one-size fits all solution. Typical zeners need about 300-500uA bias current to keep above the negative region of their di/dt slope. Adjust the current limiting resistor to suit the zener you have selected, and the lowest voltage your supply will ever be during normal operation.

And you do realise that those circuits only measure the current in the load right? They do not include the current drawn by the high-side current sense amplifier and it's zener-regulated floating power supply, so depending on which device you choose, you can easily get 100uA precision. Is the power supply for the load not able to spare another couple of milliamps? If so, you should probably re-think the power supply, not ditch the proper current sense solution.

By the way, your comparison to multimeters with a range of 10uA to 10A is not at all fair, as that is over multiple ranges, with different sense resistors, different burden voltages and different accuracies in each range.

Anyway, you should probably tell us what your application is, that way we can give more specific advice or understand why something may or may not be appropriate.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 07:19:02 pm »
If your zener has that much current flowing through it, the design needs to be adjusted - those example circuits are just that - not a one-size fits all solution. Typical zeners need about 300-500uA bias current to keep above the negative region of their di/dt slope. Adjust the current limiting resistor to suit the zener you have selected, and the lowest voltage your supply will ever be during normal operation.

I usually figure on at most doubling the total current so a 200uA TL031 allows a reasonable 200uA for the zener diode.  If I used a lower power operational amplifier like a 20uA OPA347 or TLV2451, then I would use a micropower shunt regulator instead of a zener diode.

Another alternative to power a micropower operational amplifier is to use a charge pump and high voltage capacitor for isolation and this would allow using a standard micropower operational amplifier with better precision like an LT1077 because the operational amplifier's positive supply can be pumped to be greater than the high voltage.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 04:59:00 pm »

Multimeters measure the voltage across a switched current shunt and are floating so there is none of this high side and low side nonsense.  As far as the multimeter is concerned, it is just another low, typically 100s of milivolts, voltage measurement.  Duplicating this would be more expensive and complex; it means floating the analog to digital converter to the high voltage supply.
Exactly. All multimeters, even the cheapest ones, have an optically-isolated output! You look at the screen with your eyes, so the multimeter can sit happily at hundreds of volts above or below ground (and your body) without issue. You don't need a common ground connection to the multimeter to view its screen  :-DMM

The usual issue with high-side current measurement is that you need to shift that measurement result back down to ground/common for use by the circuitry which needs the current measurement in the first place. Unless of course that circuitry can reside on the high side as well.

Of course the OP didn't even say if the measured current is going to be used by anything other than human eyes. Maybe the best solution is a simple panel meter with a transformer-isolated floating supply? Too many assumptions.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 02:18:25 am »
The usual issue with high-side current measurement is that you need to shift that measurement result back down to ground/common for use by the circuitry which needs the current measurement in the first place. Unless of course that circuitry can reside on the high side as well.

For current control circuits like in power supplies, my preferred solution is to move the entire error amplifier to the high side and use the level shifter to shift the control signal to the high side.  Reading back the actual current would require a second level shifter or a floating readout.

Offline f5r5e5d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 12:27:56 am »

Offline sgt_bearTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 02:25:27 pm »
You mean this circuit? Yes, I agree.

I tried this circuit to simulate with LTspice and the LT1672 (2uA Supply Current).
But my simulation does nothing :( it only has a % counter in the bottom which never finishes :(

Attached my circuit and simulation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf