Author Topic: High Voltage supply for old CRT tube ?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
High Voltage supply for old CRT tube ?
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:09:08 am »
I have a RCA-WO33A CRT oscilloscope from he 1960s, and the transformer is busted, I've yet to take it apart, maybe its fixable. But if not, what are some ideas to make 600-700V at 10-20mA I think.

I have 3-4 CRT TV PCBs with SMPS, and 1 from the 1970's, not sure if it's linear or switching kind. I have 2 microwave transformers that could maybe be rewound ? Or make a SMPS from scratch ? For now I don't want to spend much money, and I guess any suitable off the shelf transformer would be +$50 easy w/shipping

Offline AutogolazzoJr

• Regular Contributor
Re: High Voltage supply for old CRT tube ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:54:18 am »
I don't think a microwave transformer would get anywhere near the voltage you need. It would probably saturate. Perhaps an ebay flyback transformer?

Offline Rog520

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:28:42 am »
You could probably find a cheap, used plate transformer (for vacuum tube equipment) at auction. Or find a transformer with a more common, lower voltage secondary and use a voltage multipler to get your required output. An SMPS in a scope is a bad idea unless it's specifically designed to be very low noise.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:29:52 am »
Some of the older radios (from the 1930s & maybe early '40s) used  285v a side " or even "385v a side" transformers with tube full wave rectifiers.
The full voltages of these centre tapped secondaries are 570v & 770v respectively.
Used with a bridge rectifier, these would give dc voltages of the order you require.

1950s & 1960s  transformers usually had secondaries of from 450 v to 480v total, but would work with a voltage multiplier.

Unfortunately, these smaller transformers aren't as common in the USA as in Oz, as they used transformerless construction for most of their "mantel" radios.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf