Author Topic: Hobby Lidar Build  (Read 10628 times)

Offline DavidCambridgeTopic starter

Hobby Lidar Build
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:29:33 pm »
Hello All

I’ve just finished my Lidar project. It’s based on the Garmin Lidar light V3 module which is really nothing more than a laser range finder sending distance measurements out through I2C.  The range finder is hooked into an STM32, which sends UART data through a mechanical slip ring and then down through a rotating shaft to a second stationary STM32. The second STM32 dumps everything to an SD card.  The top STM32 controls the elevation stepper motor, the bottom STM32 controls the azimuth stepper motor. Motor synchronization is via the slip ring. PCB design was via eagle.  Mechanically, it was all designed in Fusion 360  with the parts machined in my hobby workshop.  I’ve used the Unity 3D game engine for the rendering.

Attached is a screen shot of the results. It's a Lidar scan of my back yard, and you can see an animated render on YouTube at this link

David

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, mikerj, 5321488

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Hobby Lidar Build
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:07 pm »
Pretty neat!

Do you have plans for an algorithm to match up multiple scans to fill in some of the sides of things, or something that can overlay scans from a moving position?

Rendering in a game engine seems like a neat approach, I'll be it simplifies the rendering a bit, but simplifies the navigation through the scene quite a bit!

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 09:01:34 pm »
Thanks DaJMasta.  Yes, definitely, I just need to spend a bit of time thinking it through. In the first instance, just manually moving the Lidar and aligning the point sets by hand should hopefully produce some nice results.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:03:57 pm »
Putting the data in a 3D engine, then flying through it looks awesome!  :-+
Subscribed.

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »
Very cool!

How long did it take to acquire the data?

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline JBeale

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:43:44 pm »
Very nice work. I have an earlier version of this (Lidar-Lite) sold by SparkFun before Garmin bought out the PulsedLight company in 2016.  Looks like you've got a pretty decent effective range, and good repeatability as well, given the walls of the house seem fairly smooth.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 06:53:03 am »
Thanks for the comments and good feedback.  It feels like about 3 minutes for a scan, so it’s definitely back in pinhole camera territory!

David

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 03:12:00 pm »
what about connecting those dots into triangle meshes and render to get solid 3D plot?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline JimRemington

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 03:51:24 pm »
Wow, just wow! And with such a cheap sensor.

I have two of the V2 Lidars (sadly, still unused) and am now verily and truly inspired to dig them out of their boxes!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:06:42 pm by JimRemington »

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:11:47 pm »
I thought I'd try taking my home made Lidar somewhere more interesting than my back garden, and luckily I found a vicar kind enough to let me scan the inside of a church!

David

The following users thanked this post: JBeale, skench, mycroft, _Wim_, ebastler, TheHolyHorse

Offline Jhan_Ore

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 04:56:35 pm »
hi, I would like to make an image inside of a bridge, I would like if its possible if you tell me how to start please.

Thanks,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf