Author Topic: How standard are USB footprints  (Read 865 times)

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
How standard are USB footprints
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:08:37 pm »
I have a bunch of USB devices at home that require frequent plugging in and out and moving around. As a result, in a number of locations I have a bunch of different USB cables at all times, to match each of the connectors. It would be interesting if I could change all of these devices to one single connector (preferably USB-C as the phone and laptops are by far the hardest to change).

So how standard are these footprints. Can I just get USB-C connectors with only the USB2 pins enabled?
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: How standard are USB footprints
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:04:01 pm »

Offline fchk

• Regular Contributor
Re: How standard are USB footprints
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:22:47 pm »
So how standard are these footprints. Can I just get USB-C connectors with only the USB2 pins enabled?

Just replacing a Type B Micro socket by an USB C socket won't work - neither as host or device. You will need extra circuitry for making an old USB2 device USB-C compliant.

There is a lot of documentation to read. For a quick start:
http://www.ti.com/lit/wp/slly017/slly017.pdf
https://training.ti.com/tikit-reference-design-how-convert-usb-usb-c

USB Power delivery is a quite complex topic on its own with many 1000 pages of specification.

fchk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf