Author Topic: I cut something off of my Rigol Scope Probes  (Read 9993 times)

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
I cut something off of my Rigol Scope Probes
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
Ah that's better! I hate those rubber rings with a passion.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I cut something off of my Rigol Scope Probes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:26:30 pm »
Better buy yourself a set of decent fixed 1:10 Testec probes. The Rigol probes are somewhat use able, but that is all to say about.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:30:22 pm by Pjotr »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:52:06 pm »
Better buy yourself a set of decent fixed 1:10 Testec probes. The Rigol probes are somewhat use able, but that is all to say about.

Yea I know, I need to do that soon.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 03:57:26 pm »
Right, where's me knife..

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:28:24 pm »
What's wrong with the rubber rings?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:29:17 pm »

The ones around the BNC are slippery and badly shaped. Just plain awkward to get on and off.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 09:39:51 pm »

The ones around the BNC are slippery and badly shaped. Just plain awkward to get on and off.

Right. They suck - I usually have to pull on the cable to get 'em off the scope. Too slippery.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 10:12:07 pm »

Right. They suck - I usually have to pull on the cable to get 'em off the scope. Too slippery.
I wouldn't recommend your *mod* universally.

For those with an unearthed mains supply no insulation of the BNC connectors may expose the user to some stray voltages.
Furthermore for those that isolate their DSO's from mains ground to enable scope connection without GND loops, this *mod* would expose the user to the same voltage as to where the probes reference lead is connected.  :--
This also applies to all the exposed BNC connectors when doing *isolated* measurements.

Be careful out there.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:10:26 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 10:24:14 pm »
All the scope probes I used for 24 years in industry didn't have that rubber ring, and even the Testec probes recommended in this thread don't have a rubber ring, neither do most of the replacement scope probes. Ultimately you need to understand what you are doing.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 10:37:11 pm »
All the scope probes I used for 24 years in industry didn't have that rubber ring, and even the Testec probes recommended in this thread don't have a rubber ring, neither do most of the replacement scope probes. Ultimately you need to understand what you are doing.
Exactly.  :-+

One must remember there's many DSO/scope newbies on this forum that aren't aware of all the dangers than can arise from probing DUT's, hence my warning.  ;)

All my old probes don't have insulated BNC's either and I've used then at elevated isolated voltages KNOWING the risks, and with metal cased CRO's too.  :scared:
Brings new meaning to: IT'S ALIVE.  :-DD

Most new DSO's however are supplied with insulated BNC's on probes as OEM for good reason IMHO.
Be careful out there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:45:55 pm »

Most new DSO's however are supplied with insulated BNC's on probes as OEM for good reason IMHO.
Be careful out there.

To add to your concerns though, which I respect, be aware that even if you connect a scope probe to channel 1, with an insulated BNC, guess what? If there is a danger in touching it, all three other channels outside BNC metal is now connected to the potential of the channel 1 outside barrel. So if you touch any of the other three channels with your finger accidentally, you now get zapped even though channel 1 has a rubber ring ...

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:58:24 pm »
Well, maybe one likes them and one doesn't. I think that they're a quite nice touch and look way better than just blank BNCs. Rigol could've used a grippier surface pattern, but overall I can't recall that the connector ever slipped out of my grip.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 10:59:49 pm »
Utility first, looks second. It's a scope probe, not a car.

steverino

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 11:01:42 pm »
Ouch! You circumcised your probe!

The following users thanked this post: grifftech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:02 pm »

Be careful out there.

To add to your concerns though, which I respect, be aware that even if you connect a scope probe to channel 1, with an insulated BNC, guess what? If there is a danger in touching it, all three other channels outside BNC metal is now connected to the potential of the channel 1 outside barrel. So if you touch any of the other three channels with your finger accidentally, you now get zapped even though channel 1 has a rubber ring ...
Yes, as explained in my first reply:

This also applies to all the exposed BNC connectors when doing *isolated* measurements.

Be careful out there.  ;)
Post edited to highlight this ^^^
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:11:40 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 11:56:47 pm »
Yes! I find the raised plastic makes removing them difficult! I gotta try that.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

steverino

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 12:06:33 am »
On a more serious note.  Isn't it common to plug in a non insulated bnc tee, for example, to terminate into 50 Ohms?  There will always be a potential issue if you defeat the grounding of the scope, no?  As Mr. Carlson says, "you do so at your own risk".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 12:23:56 am »
On a more serious note.  Isn't it common to plug in a non insulated bnc tee, for example, to terminate into 50 Ohms?  There will always be a potential issue if you defeat the grounding of the scope, no?  As Mr. Carlson says, "you do so at your own risk".

Absolutely.

If the oscilloscope industry wanted to really protect people, they would do a complete connector solution, something like DMMs, where not only the internal but the external connections are completely insulated from the user. As it is now, you can still touch the same potential on other BNCs that one or more probe covers are insulating you from, as has been pointed out.

Do all of this testing and modification at your own risk!

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 01:43:58 am »
You can then add heat shrink to get a new cover that doesn't slip. And put plastic caps over the unused BNCs when probing high voltages, although those tend to get lost.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 02:47:56 am »
You can then add heat shrink to get a new cover that doesn't slip. And put plastic caps over the unused BNCs when probing high voltages, although those tend to get lost.

Who does the ergonomics at Rigol? The thing is, I wouldn't even have considered cutting the rings off if they had been easy to remove. They are too slippery when puling away from the scope. That could have been easily fixed simply by the way the molding was done.

There is no need for me, or many users, to have a rubber ring there in the first place, because that metal is grounded and safe. But if they want to put a rubber ring on it, it needs to be easier to grab.

And as I've said, many replacement probes, which are in fact made better anyway, do not have rubber rings there.

Probing electronics is inherently a risk, and in the end if you don't have a clue what you are doing, you should not be probing with any test equipment!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 03:37:20 am »
I doubt whether any of the Asian DSO manufacturers make their own probes.
My investigations have found at least 3 scope probe manufacturers and for at least 1 of them it's their core business.
Most offer insulated BNC's in a range of BW's but in the case of these Rigol probes IMO they've chosen unwisely in the way they commandeer most of the physical space available around the BNC's and force those without the fine fingers of most Asians to struggle with connection/disconnection.
Spacing between BNC's is also an issue that was bought up in other threads.

But overall IMO how the front panel layout has been organised hasn't helped matters...ie. by placing the larger knob of channel attenuation directly above the BNC's.  :--

Knob swap time....much safer than removing the BNC connector insulation.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 03:46:43 am »
A knob swap won't help, and removing the 'insulation' (pretty looking plastic with no real purpose) does not create a safety issue.

Offline RogerRowland

• Regular Contributor
    • Personal web site
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 07:15:51 am »
Stupid question #1:

Why do you need to keep connecting/disconnecting your probes? I connected two probes to my Siglent when I bought it two years ago and I haven't unplugged them since.

Is it because you're needing to use different probes or what?

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 07:29:36 am »
xrunner is right.
This oscilloscope can't be used with an unearthed mains. This isolation of BNC connector is useless.
Those probes are probably intended to be used with battery powered oscilloscopes.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 08:21:09 am »
Those rubber are NOT for isolation, I guess its just for aesthetically purpose.

Both sides, either at the scope and probe BNC need to be fully protected and secured, not just wrapped with some cheap rubber that can easily be detached or cut.

Example below Tek's portable scope with isolated BNC connectors, and also at the probe's BNC for total isolation. The probe's head BNC metal part is fully molded with plastic, don't think can be easily detached like that cheap rubber without destroying the whole BNC head.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf