Author Topic: I would like to build a Mars Rover for Mars... please help.......  (Read 18233 times)

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: I would like to build a Mars Rover for Mars... please help.......
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2017, 10:00:21 pm »
While I have been poking fun at some of the concepts, the basic idea is not that impossible.  I have worked with folks who built one of the Mars rovers, and fundamentally it wasn't much different than a yard cruiser.  Built very, very carefully so that it could survive the rough ride on the way there, and because it is such a long way to the repair shop if something breaks.  There was a bit of the work that had to do with the Mars environment (picking batteries and other components that can survive low temp) and a LOT of testing to work out infant mortality and mistakes, but it is surprising how much works without modification.

Even things like the plastic body may not be a no go.  They only last a couple years here on Earth.  If it lasted 6 months on Mars it would fit nicely in the population of rovers built by large professional organizations.  UV on Mars will be a lot worse, but at least once it gets there the stresses will be a lot lower.  Only 1/3 g, and absolutely, positively no toddlers.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:06 pm »
Even things like the plastic body may not be a no go.  They only last a couple years here on Earth.  If it lasted 6 months on Mars it would fit nicely in the population of rovers built by large professional organizations.  UV on Mars will be a lot worse, but at least once it gets there the stresses will be a lot lower.  Only 1/3 g, and absolutely, positively no toddlers.
A while back, an engineer working modules heading for space told me that most plastics are not allowed. They outgass and are therefore not stable enough to be considered reliable. During our conversation, I understood that this rule was not as hard in practice as it is on paper, but that was implied and certainly not commented on any further. Coincidentally, if I do a Google search on outgassing, the top results are material outgassing databases of both NASA and ESA. Both agencies have some pretty neat documentation online that relate to mechanical and electrical requirements for equipment.

That being said, I do love me some ceramic packages. The have a charm that epoxy just does not posses.

Oh, I forgot to make a snarky comment. Maybe you could zip-lock the rover to prevent chassis outgassing!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:25:50 pm by Mr. Scram »

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2017, 03:49:19 am »
A while back, an engineer working modules heading for space told me that most plastics are not allowed. They outgass and are therefore not stable enough to be considered reliable. During our conversation, I understood that this rule was not as hard in practice as it is on paper, but that was implied and certainly not commented on any further. Coincidentally, if I do a Google search on outgassing, the top results are material outgassing databases of both NASA and ESA. Both agencies have some pretty neat documentation online that relate to mechanical and electrical requirements for equipment.

That being said, I do love me some ceramic packages. The have a charm that epoxy just does not posses.

Oh, I forgot to make a snarky comment. Maybe you could zip-lock the rover to prevent chassis outgassing!

Or you could ask why outgassing is a concern.  In many cases that I am aware of the outgassing is less of an issue to the component that is outgassing than it is to those where the expelled material is deposited.  In other cases it is related to the desire to have an operating life measured in decades.

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2017, 12:21:02 am »
I only have 2 more days left for my deadline!  Doesn't anyone around here know how to make a Mars Rover for Mars????!?!?!???  I thought you guys were smart!!  Please Help!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2017, 12:38:54 am »
I only have 2 more days left for my deadline!  Doesn't anyone around here know how to make a Mars Rover for Mars????!?!?!???  I thought you guys were smart!!  Please Help!
Have you called Elon?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf