Author Topic: Indication LED driver IC  (Read 1088 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Indication LED driver IC
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:27:00 am »
Probably only need to drive the LED at 4-5mA, but want to drive a bunch of them, perhaps 50 or so.  No shift registers as each one is an independent signal.  You could use logic buffers and resistors, but my question is, are there any better LED driver IC's for this type of job that have a high impedance input and can constant current drive LED's without a resistor that have X channels?  What do you recommend?

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Indication LED driver IC
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:58:09 am »
You could check the LED driver catalogs at TI, NXP, etc, but I don't think there's really any demand for such parts in high channel counts and low currents.  Mostly when you want to drive a bunch of LEDs you want to use as few pins as possible, hence I2C/SPI interfaces.  There are single-channel current source ICs, but those aren't going to save you any money or board space.  Is a set of regular octal buffers (assuming you really need high impedance inputs) and some resistor packs not a simple/cheap enough solution?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:38:33 am »
Can they be multiplexed or Charliplexed?

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:14:04 pm »
No, they are all individual signals.  It sounds like the best way is a buffer and resistors.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 04:36:12 pm »
74HC4066 plus a resistor per LED. Or ULN2003 plus resistors. I don't think you can do it simpler or cheaper.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:58:22 pm by Benta »

Offline 5upercircuits

• Contributor
  • A human - beautiful but full of flaws
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:26:16 pm »
Might be a little unconventional solution, but you could also try using I2C I/O expanders. They've got multiple channels that would allow you to save some I/O space on the uCT. Some of them can handle driving LEDs quite well.

However, they might not really be what you're looking for and are also not always cheap.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 08:03:10 pm »
Might be a little unconventional solution, but you could also try using I2C I/O expanders.

What's difficult to understand about "all individual signals"?   :palm:

Offline David Chamberlain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 07:56:07 am »

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:41:22 am »
For 4-5mA, there are a bunch of standard logic drivers that should work fine.   The BEAM Robotics folks recommend 74ACxx series drivers as generally delivering higher currents.  You need resistors, though.  (China has bunch of LED driver chips, but I don't know of anything offhand with individual IO.)

Heh.  For a "legacy microprocessor front panel", I've considered using a microcontroller that has parallel inputs and drives the LEDs multiplexed.  So a cheap 40pin uC (~32 IO) could easily do 24 inputs/LEDs.  (I mean, you only have to update the LEDs at human-compatible speeds, right?)  A "minor SW change" could output in Hex/Octal/OLED instead...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf